Author Topic: Forced integration?  (Read 3786 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Forced integration?
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 11:49:50 AM »

I'm not sure if any of this is exactly new. That's what HUD does. And there's a LONG list of Thou Shall Not's when it comes to selling or renting property. Basically, showing any preference for anything is essentially illegal.

The only exceptions are elderly only properties, and women being able to advertise women only roommate preferences. Sorta. It was and sorta still is illegal for women to say they only wanted female roommates. But 9th Circuit Court more or less said "This is friggin insane. I don't care what the law says. Overturned."  Fair Housing Council v. roommate.com Those are the only exception. If you're say, a High Priest of Satan and don't want a fundamentalist Buddhist for a roommate, don't advertise it unless you have too much money so you want to shed some of it via a lawsuit.

You cannot legally advertise virtually any preferences with a roommate or rental property. Even employment requirements are tricky, and you should have a lawyer review.

Friend of mine is a property manager. She mentioned a bunch of the units are rented to sales reps for ADP. They tend to be young, drinkers and loud at late hours. "So why not move all the party crowd to one area away from say, family folks with kids? Seems obvious."  Because it'd be illegal discrimination. Correct, you can't discriminate on the basis of being very loud and indulging in excessive public drinking. Both the family types AND young party types (who aren't bad people, they tried keeping it down during the week days) would have been happier, and said so repeatedly in complaints. Doesn't matter. It's illegal.

Now, I do think that ethnic discrimination is bad. However, like always, govt regs may have started at an arguably reasonable infringement... And then went bat excrement nuts.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 11:54:37 AM »
Now, I do think that ethnic discrimination is bad. However, like always, govt regs may have started at an arguably reasonable infringement... And then went bat excrement nuts.
My FIL just sold all of his rental units and is retiring from the business.
Over the last 5 years or so, he's had an endless stream of really bad people who knew how to work every angle of the system come through his apartments- almost all of them moved from the inner city of Milwaukee and Chicago to the smaller city where he resides. He's spent more time repairing trashed apartments and in court than he's spent cashing rent checks.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 07:00:37 PM »
Here is a fairly detailed analysis of what Obama may be up to.  State mandated forced integration all dressed up in fairness.

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2013/07/23/obama-force-integration-neighborhoods/
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon