Author Topic: The Tea Party and the GOP Crack-up  (Read 3079 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The Tea Party and the GOP Crack-up
« on: October 16, 2013, 11:05:45 AM »
http://dailyme.com/story/2013101600000206/william-galston-the-tea-party-and-the-gop-crackup

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303376904579135231053555194

See if you can click through and read the full story.  I suspect a whole lot of people on this board would identify with the positions described.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The Tea Party and the GOP Crack-up
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 11:17:40 AM »
I thought it was a good read. I don't know that I self-identify as part of the Tea Party, but I would have no problem being labeled a Jacksonian. I'd argue that Jacksonians don't see immigrants as a burden on the country as the article states, but rather see illegal  immigrants that come here for benefits, (vs those both legal and illegal that come here to work), as the burden.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 11:26:57 AM »
I'd argue that Jacksonians don't see immigrants as a burden on the country as the article states, but rather see illegal  immigrants that come here for benefits, (vs those both legal and illegal that come here to work), as the burden.

That was my biggest disagreement with the article.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 01:02:09 PM »
Heard they made a deal. GOP sold out
http://socialreader.com/me/content/0Plth?chid=76914&utm_source=editorial&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=srfan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

*expletive deleted*ck you boehner, as well as the rest of you rinos!
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 01:11:34 PM »
Heard they made a deal. GOP sold out
http://socialreader.com/me/content/0Plth?chid=76914&utm_source=editorial&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=srfan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
*expletive deleted* you boehner, as well as the rest of you rinos!
:facepalm:
Well, THAT'S what happens when you try to lead from the butt end of the political power structure.
Try pushing a string if you need an analogy.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 01:17:12 PM »
So the Senate is initiating appropriations, now  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 01:30:33 PM »
So the Senate Politburo is initiating appropriations, now

Fixed that for you.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 01:32:56 PM »
Well, THAT'S what happens when you try to lead from the butt end of the political power structure.
Try pushing a string if you need an analogy

Checks and balances, bitches.
Pelosi had a bigger set of balls than boehner and knew what she wielded in the House.
All spending bills must originate in the House.

Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 01:39:39 PM »
So the Senate is initiating appropriations, now  ;/

They'll take the language from some House bill dealing with international puppy abuse or similar twaddle, strip the text and make it match the Senate bill.  That way it "originated" in the House.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 01:41:26 PM »
Who is on the reconciliation committee between the House and Senate?  Is it a bunch of Bhoener beholden neocons, or are the libertarian/tea-party interests represented adequately there?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 01:44:04 PM »
Who is on the reconciliation committee between the House and Senate?  Is it a bunch of Bhoener beholden neocons, or are the libertarian/tea-party interests represented adequately there?

By the precise wording of your question, I can tell you already know the answer.

Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 02:14:19 PM »
I thought it was a good read. I don't know that I self-identify as part of the Tea Party, but I would have no problem being labeled a Jacksonian. I'd argue that Jacksonians don't see immigrants as a burden on the country as the article states, but rather see illegal  immigrants that come here for benefits, (vs those both legal and illegal that come here to work), as the burden.

Sorry, a good portion of legal immigrants are dead weight.  Two big poles in that tent are:
1. Family Reunification: Bringing in the old folks who soon qualify for a bundle of goodies, aswell as others more able-bodied.
2. Refugee Scam: Likely the majority of these folks are scammers, taught which buttons to push and atrocities to claim.  All unverifiable, of course.

Also, the vast majority of legal immigrants to the USA are from third-world countries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_the_United_States#Origin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_the_United_States#Contemporary_immigration

Code: [Select]
Inflow of New Legal Permanent Residents, Top Five Sending Countries, 2012

Country 2012 Region 2012
Mexico 146,406 Americas 407,172
China 81,784 Asia 429,599
India 66,434 Africa 107,241
Philippines 57,327 Europe 81,671
Dominican Republic 41,566 All Immigrants 1,031,631

Most are very, very poor and qualify for all sorts of welfare. 

We have a very screwed up immigration policy.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 02:27:16 PM »
Sorry, a good portion of legal immigrants are dead weight.  Two big poles in that tent are:
1. Family Reunification: Bringing in the old folks who soon qualify for a bundle of goodies, aswell as others more able-bodied.
2. Refugee Scam: Likely the majority of these folks are scammers, taught which buttons to push and atrocities to claim.  All unverifiable, of course

What? Somalians bring a net negative? I'm shocked!

Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 02:36:38 PM »
Also, the vast majority of legal immigrants to the USA are from third-world countries . . . Most are very, very poor and qualify for all sorts of welfare . . . We have a very screwed up immigration policy.
I take it you've heard of Diversity Visas?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 02:42:33 PM »
Most are very, very poor and qualify for all sorts of welfare. 

We have a very screwed up immigration policy.

Qualifying and taking are two different things. My parents came to this country owing the Catholic church $100 for train fare from Ellis Island to CA. They never took a dime of assistance in their lives. Certainly many immigrants come here to take advantage of free stuff (as I stated in my original post), but many come here dirt poor, qualify for services, but don't take them. Much of taking freebies or not relates to the culture at the point of origin.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 05:48:31 PM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/361432/last-conference-jonathan-strong

“We all agree Obamacare is an abomination. We all agree taxes are too high. We all agree spending is too high. We all agree Washington is getting in the way of job growth. We all agree we have a real debt crisis that will cripple future generations. We all agree on these fundamental conservative principles. . . . We must not confuse tactics with principles. The differences between us are dwarfed by the differences we have with the Democratic party, and we can do more for the American people united,” he told them.

[neocon]
We all agree that we don't want to take responsibility and stop this.  We all agree to kick the can down the road to ultimate insolvency.  We all agree it's time to get back to regular pork and kickbacks.  We all agree to enslave future unborn generations.
[/neocon]
--Lysander Spooner

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 07:52:26 PM »
Checks and balances, bitches.
Pelosi had a bigger set of balls than boehner and knew what she wielded in the House.
All spending bills must originate in the House.

Yeah but there hasn't been an actual budget drawn up in ... what?  four, five years?   According to Rush Limbaugh Obama has effectively usurped the "All spending bills must originate in the House" part of the Constitution.  I think he has a good point. 
And the repukes only have the house anyway ....so my point stands.   Creakily ... like the government ....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Levant

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 12:52:10 AM »
The Tea Party is as dead as the Republican Party.  Founders got so caught up in the cameras and getting to hobnob with the Republican elite that they allowed themselves to be thoroughly infiltrated and neutered. 

What we need is a three plumbers party...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/10/colorado-gun-rights-backers-gun-control-activists-/?page=all
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 02:00:15 PM »
The Tea Party is as dead as the Republican Party.  Founders got so caught up in the cameras and getting to hobnob with the Republican elite that they allowed themselves to be thoroughly infiltrated and neutered. 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/10/colorado-gun-rights-backers-gun-control-activists-/?page=all

Wouldn't count on that.............

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 02:57:49 PM »
:facepalm:
Try pushing a string if you need an analogy.

I think the butt analogy was more apt.
"It's good, though..."

Levant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 03:27:41 PM »
Wouldn't count on that.............

You wouldn't count on what??
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 06:24:52 PM »
I think the butt analogy was more apt.
:rofl:

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2013, 06:26:02 PM »
You wouldn't count on what??

The Tea Party being  extinct.   

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 07:52:27 AM »

I think the TEA party started to die the day Palin and Bachman (and others like them) got involved. If the TEA just focused just on financials (like in the beginning) and not social ideals I believe it would be going strong for a long time. Also seems like once Democrats start blaming problems on something, that something is either dead, dying or very dysfunctional.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536