Author Topic: They still don't get it  (Read 1741 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
They still don't get it
« on: November 17, 2013, 11:14:26 AM »
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2013/1115/Sandy-Hook-Nearly-a-year-on-groups-seek-positive-legacy-from-tragedy

Some of the parents of kids killed at Sandy Hook last year want to turn the discussion into less divisive directions. Problem is, they persist in calling the problem "gun" violence, rather than "violence."

To me this new (?) effort is just another under-handed attempt to marginalize gun owners, while giving lip service to "supporting and respecting" the Second Amendment.

They have a web site: http://action.sandyhookpromise.org/signup_page/parenttogether?track=a_Gs&tag=ParentTogether:a_Gs

You can't see anything unless you sign on to support their agenda. I won't do that, so I don't know what lies beyond the door to the inner sanctum.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: They still don't get it
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 12:10:33 PM »
On a related note, the official police report has still not been released, and Malloy has joined the ranks of the masses calling for its release.  The conspiracy theorists have been going nuts on why the report has been delayed for so long, with the most popular opinion being that an AR-15 was not actually used to kill anyone.

I have an LE source that says that it was, in fact, the primary weapon used, so I don't buy the theories.  It is true that AR-15s probably wouldn't have been banned if it hadn't been Lanza's weapon of choice, but the law probably won't stand under Heller-style scrutiny and may be repealed anyway.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 12:23:49 PM »
I have an LE source that says that it was, in fact, the primary weapon used, so I don't buy the theories.  It is true that AR-15s probably wouldn't have been banned if it hadn't been Lanza's weapon of choice, but the law probably won't stand under Heller-style scrutiny and may be repealed anyway.

Interestingly, I have a law enforcement source who says the .40 caliber handgun was the primary weapin used, but that "some" .223 casings were found inside the school. Let's not forget that the commanding officer of the Connecticut State Police hasn't released a report on the incident, but that didn't stop him from attending a national law enforcement conference and giving a detailed briefing to his counterparts. (But he won't tell his boss, the governor.)

I guess we should all wait for the report. (Just don't hold your breath.)

Another question, from my source: Who was the person reportedly seen in the woods behind the school? He (if it was a he) was mentioned in the early reports, then all mention of a possible second actor pretty much dropped off the media radar.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 12:39:42 PM »
It was a Glock 10mm, but yeah, my source was not there, so my info on the AR-15 isn't exactly ironclad.  As for the guy in the woods?

My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 02:00:59 PM »

Another question, from my source: Who was the person reportedly seen in the woods behind the school? He (if it was a he) was mentioned in the early reports, then all mention of a possible second actor pretty much dropped off the media radar.

Don't all of these high-profile incidents have reports of other "persons of interest"? Persons of interest that are later ignored? Isn't that perfectly understandable, because police (and journalists) don't know who's doing what, until they - uh - know who's doing what?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 06:57:47 PM »
Don't all of these high-profile incidents have reports of other "persons of interest"? Persons of interest that are later ignored? Isn't that perfectly understandable, because police (and journalists) don't know who's doing what, until they - uh - know who's doing what?

Yes, but there was video from a helicopter of police pursuing a "person of interest" in the woods above/behind the school ... and then there was nothing. So, whether the person was doing something or was doing nothing, at this point only that person and the Connecticut State Police know. And we don't even know if the State Police know, because they won't release their report.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 11:00:30 PM »
Yes, but there was video from a helicopter of police pursuing a "person of interest" in the woods above/behind the school ... and then there was nothing. So, whether the person was doing something or was doing nothing, at this point only that person and the Connecticut State Police know. And we don't even know if the State Police know, because they won't release their report.
If it turned out to be entirely unrelated or a victim running from the scene, wouldn't you expect there to be no real followup on the initial report?   Seriously, if they followed up on everything they talked about during initial reporting that turned out to be nothing, would talking heads have time to do anything but that for sixteen days after an event like this?

Which does not change the fact that we don't have anything but speculation until we get the official report. Then we have Official Speculation. Regardless, it seems the most likely scenarios don't involve conspiracy here.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 11:22:03 PM »
The NTSB will release preliminary findings shortly after an aircraft accident but usually takes at least a year for the full report. No one gets all nutty about it...

Personally in a major incident like this I can see it easily taking a year or more to investigate and assemble a full, comprehensive, accurate as possible, report. Look how long it took (several days) to sort out the major details of the killings in the first place. When you consider the sheer number of witnesses, families, etc to interview, lab work to do, debriefings and interviews with responders, scene examinations, and so on...it is an astounding amount of work.

I'd rather them take the time to do it right and quietly release it than to do a quick and shoddy job for political purposes...

Some of the parents of kids killed at Sandy Hook last year want to turn the discussion into less divisive directions. Problem is, they persist in calling the problem "gun" violence, rather than "violence."

Oh, I'd say they get it. They have realized outright attacks on gun rights don't work as well as chipping away from the side. They very much do so get it...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 09:10:04 AM »
Oh, I'd say they get it. They have realized outright attacks on gun rights don't work as well as chipping away from the side. They very much do so get it...

I can't argue with that! It's more effective than taking it head on. Hamstring us first, then go for the jugular.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G