Author Topic: Texas Politician Is Calling For an End to the State's Roadkill-Eating Ban  (Read 4465 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I am posting this under "Politics" only because we don't have a sub-forum labeled "Flipping Awesome!!!!111"

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2014/02/texas_roadkill_ban_tink_nathan.php

If Tink Nathan doesn't belong in the Texas Legislature, we're not sure if anyone does. The 72-year-old Republican from Kerr County, just northwest of San Antonio has the whole package: scraggly frontiersman beard; monogrammed Texas flag shirt; an eponymous line of hunting products derived from deer urine. He's the guy New Yorkers conjure up when they think of Texas.

He's also the only candidate, apparently in the entire state, bold enough stand up and defend Texans' God-given right to eat animals they run over in their cars.

As it stands, picking up roadkill is a crime. Partly, this is because of health-and-safety concerns (hard to know what vile pathogens might be swarming over any given carcass), partly it's to discourage people from using their cars as hunting weapons. (This has actually been documented. In a 2012 Dallas Morning News story, a state game warden's staffer recalled a couple of incidents in which motorists intentionally ran over exotic deer in Kerr County, right in Nathan's backyard.)

"People gotta eat, same as worms."

No roadkill, no peas, no dinner.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Texas Politician Is Calling For an End to the State's Roadkill-Eating Ban
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 02:55:01 PM »
Montana is way ahead of them  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 03:05:28 PM »
We can eat roadkill here in AZ.

About a year ago, a friend of mine was on a BMW 1150GS with his wife on back and they were riding a Rim highway... hit a deer.  He kept the bike up and circled around once the sh!t baloon in his pants had deflated.  Deer was dead, bike had a ~2 inch dent in the gas tank (probably lost a half cup of capacity).  DPS Trooper shows up, writes up the scene, says he can cart the deer off if he wants, so he called his dad and had dad meet him with a pickup.

Here's the footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je-76N6ermM&feature=youtu.be

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 08:55:45 PM »
Oklahoma has been roadkill friendly for years. Got to get the game warden to issue a carcas tag and your good to go.
I've put 2 deer in the freezer that I managed to kill with a car.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 10:05:55 PM »
My stepmom's dad was a confirmed roadkill chowhound.  He once got angry at someone who got to his roadkill and drove off with it before he got turned around to return to the scene of the crittercide.

Yes, he grew up p'.  Po' people are so poor they can't afford the O and the R.  Growing up, his family couldn't even afford the first O.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 10:49:07 PM »
The idea that you'd use a car as a hunting weapon is laughable at best.  It would make for some very expensive venison, and come with the added risk of serious personal injury.  I think if you hit a deer or elk you should be allowed the meat as partial compensation for the damage to your vehicle and blood pressure.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 11:10:55 PM »
The idea that you'd use a car as a hunting weapon is laughable at best.  It would make for some very expensive venison, and come with the added risk of serious personal injury.

While you are correct, the kind of people who would try that sort of thing are not exactly rocket scientists.  Dumb yourself down about 60%, throw back a bottle of Boone's Farm, and let's talk again.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 11:23:08 PM »
When Wife &  I were first married in 79, she drove a 71 Maverick. Hit several deer with that. New York had a stipulation that in order to keep the carcass you would have had to sustain some  damage to your vehicle. More than once I had to unplug  a headlight to feign damage.  I've hit several deer with less stout vehicles & needed to replace grills, radiators, water pumps & more.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 02:10:03 AM »
Any time a slow elk (cow) got run over on the open range rez, it would be a toss up on whether our ambulance would get there first, or the roadside butchers. It would be nothing to roll up in the rig to take care of the people in the car and someone was already taking care of the animal. They knew we would be there sooner or later and if the people were walking would do nothing for them, the meat was more important.  =(

bob

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Montana is way ahead of them  :P

The idea that you'd use a car as a hunting weapon is laughable at best.  It would make for some very expensive venison, and come with the added risk of serious personal injury.  I think if you hit a deer or elk you should be allowed the meat as partial compensation for the damage to your vehicle and blood pressure.

Never been to wva? If we made a facebook announcement about a spring " car deer season" there would be folks posting pics of their "rigs" in less than 24 hours. I've listened to how to discussions.  Including a guy who wants to model one after the truck that scoops up hay bales.  His plan is use the inertia to load the deer in the back so the the "deer gig " can return to position for more meat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 04:54:46 AM »
I've eaten  roadkill, deer got it's hind legs amputated by car, about the last 6" missing, no other damage. State trooper friend shot it, tossed it in the cruiser and brought it to my dad. If I see a deer get hit, or more likely have to put one down someone else hit I'm probably taking the backstrap at least, as long as I can tell where the damage was.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 11:25:31 AM »
In Alaska you can get on a list to be called when a moose is killed on the highway.  I think it has to be some sort of not for profit.

Anyway, the weird church group that I was with bacl then practically lived off of roadkill moose.  I went out a few times with some other folks in my big 4x4 pickup to pick up a moose in the middle of the night.  It was usually minus thirty something.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 12:38:40 PM »
WI has all of y'all beat.

"The type of behavior is disturbing," Judge Michael Lucci said. "It's disturbing to the public. It's disturbing to the court."

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 01:36:15 PM »
"The type of behavior is disturbing," Judge Michael Lucci said. "It's disturbing to the public. It's disturbing to the court."

They came for the necro-bestialists, and I said nothing, because I wasn't a necro-bestialist.   =D

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 09:06:53 AM »
^ I will include that post in my upcoming anthology: "The Best of Tallpine;  quips and cracks, japes and jokes."
 :rofl:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 09:10:53 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 10:50:04 AM »
^ I will include that post in my upcoming anthology: "The Best of Tallpine;  quips and cracks, japes and jokes."
 :rofl:

Say something witty and your name will be remembered forever.
-Anonymous

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 10:57:45 PM »
It seems to me that I have heard of plenty of people butchering deer killed by cars.  Usually I hear the responding officer let them take it after verifying it wasn't intentional. 

Heard of a lot of people who fill their freezers with deer or wild hog meat.  Never heard of anyone going out of their way to harvest road kill.  Maybe beef is cheaper here or something.  Doe are generally easy to find and shoot during hunting season if all you want is meat. 

Then again, the law does always seem to catch people with those fake mechanical deer near the road. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 12:04:13 PM »
When Wife &  I were first married in 79, she drove a 71 Maverick. Hit several deer with that. New York had a stipulation that in order to keep the carcass you would have had to sustain some  damage to your vehicle.

Had a friend growing up with a 1978 GMC pickup that had been wrecked and rebuilt a couple times.  His dad had practiced metalworking by making new fenders from much heavier stock, reinforced the front of the hood with the same, and ran some pipe inside the bumpers welded to the frame, with an extra reinforcement running from front bumper to back.  Looked pretty much stock until you leaned on the fender and realized it didn't give at all.

He hit a whitetail at 75mph.  Cracked the grill.  Not enough deer left intact to bother with.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 12:16:18 PM »
Had a friend growing up with a 1978 GMC pickup that had been wrecked and rebuilt a couple times.  His dad had practiced metalworking by making new fenders from much heavier stock, reinforced the front of the hood with the same, and ran some pipe inside the bumpers welded to the frame, with an extra reinforcement running from front bumper to back.  Looked pretty much stock until you leaned on the fender and realized it didn't give at all.

He hit a whitetail at 75mph.  Cracked the grill.  Not enough deer left intact to bother with.

Those heavy duty grill guards are very popular in Montana.  The cost $1000-$1500 installed but I guess it's good insurance for a $45,000 pickup.  Can't really justify it for an $800 pickup  :lol:

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 12:32:08 PM »
WI has all of y'all beat.

Libertarian: "He wasn't violating the NAP so there's nothing wrong with it, that law is fascist! Huh, why can't we get elected I wonder?"
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 01:29:18 PM »
Libertarian: "He wasn't violating the NAP so there's nothing wrong with it, that law is fascist! Huh, why can't we get elected I wonder?"

Hey, they got the bestial necrophiliacs with ungulates vote all sewn up.  Next stop: bestial necrophiliacs with the rest of laurasiatherians(1)! 

And after that: blind, left-handed lesbian dentists.

(1)  Some of whom are shrews ("I bet they are!")
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 02:50:34 PM »
Hey, they got the bestial necrophiliacs with ungulates vote all sewn up.  Next stop: bestial necrophiliacs with the rest of laurasiatherians(1)! 

And after that: blind, left-handed lesbian dentists.

(1)  Some of whom are shrews ("I bet they are!")

Just makes me think of some of the threads with (iirc and my apologies if it was someone else) MicroBalrog about public nudity and public sexual act laws.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.