Author Topic: Harvard Crimson doesn't like Academic Freedom, instead wants "Ac. Justice"  (Read 1197 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
"Ac. Justice" = "Academic Justice" when there's a limit on the length of post titles.
Didn't know whether to post it to the Round Table or Politics. I'll try it here to see if it fits.
http://www.thecrimson.com/column/the-red-line/article/2014/2/18/academic-freedom-justice/

If our university community opposes racism, sexism, and heterosexism, why should we put up with research that counters our goals simply in the name of “academic freedom”?
tl;dr (snarky & condescending version): "Research is bad if it makes our fee-fees upset, therefore research that makes us feel bad fee-fees should be prohibited.".

What does APS think of this?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: Harvard Crimson doesn't like Academic Freedom, instead wants "Ac. Justice"
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 09:26:06 PM »
*facepalm*

Just think of the big foam cluebat as reality.

Eventually, we can only hope for this:

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 12:02:12 AM »
If our university community opposes racism, sexism, and heterosexism, why should we put up with research that counters our goals simply in the name of “academic freedom”?

I wonder if they know that "put up with" is also spelled t-o-l-e-r-a-t-e.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 10:48:15 PM »
I wonder if they know that "put up with" is also spelled t-o-l-e-r-a-t-e.

Tolerance need only apply to Things judged as PC.  Non-PC things and behaviors can screw off and die. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 10:56:27 PM »

Most people only want freedom for their pet causes. That is normal. Libertarianism is abnormal.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:38:37 AM »
Most people only want freedom for their pet causes. That is normal. Libertarianism is abnormal.
I don't know if I would say "most".  I would say those are often the loudest. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge