Author Topic: Pelosi: "Redskins" is offensive so let's let everybody use "Redskins"  (Read 3093 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Not politics.  Beyond stupidity.

http://tracking.si.com/2014/03/13/pelosi-redskins-lose-trademark/?xid=aol_home&icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D453694

While many have called on Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder to change the team’s name, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D, Calif.) is proposing an alternate strategy: hitting Snyder’s wallet.

Pelosi, speaking Thursday at an event hosted by the National Congress of American Indians, called for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to tell the NFL that the league can’t keep the registered trademark for the Washington Redskins. The trademark prevents unlicensed vendors from making and selling merchandise with the team name and logo.

During her speech, Pelosi said:

“We all respect freedom of speech, but the trademark office has rejected names which are considered offensive and they should do it now. They can keep their name on the team, but when it comes to all the stuff — that’s serious money. So I think that is one path that we can go.”

Quite classy, that attitude.  Be all butt-hurt about using a name and symbol combination that makes some folks all butt-hurt and solve the butt-hurtedness by letting other folks, who presently can't use that name and symbol combination to make money with, be able to use that name and symbol combination to make money with.  It makes so much sense that even I can understand it.  )No, not really.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Pelosi: "Redskins" is offensive so let's let everybody use "Redskins"
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 10:54:41 AM »
What about the Boston Sell-ticks  ???   ;/

Tha mi offended  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 10:56:49 AM »
Every time she opens her pie hole, the stupid just falls out.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 11:00:36 AM »
Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, Kansas City Chiefs, just to name a few more.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 12:36:03 PM »
Beyond stupidity.
~~ one of the pithiest and most accurate descriptions of Nancy Pelosi I've ever read ..... :lol:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 12:53:56 PM »

Go after the NY Giants too; imagine the hissy-fits if somebody started a team called the Midgets.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 01:08:40 PM »
^ Thou coffee-snort-maker, thou!
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 01:28:23 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 01:58:05 PM »
How about the "Washington Forked-Tongues" instead  ???

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 02:41:56 PM »
Let's get rid of team names that insult other groups, too, like Cowboys and Vikings.

"Patriots" is a bad name too - the IRS says so.

And then we can go after college teams, starting with the Fighting Irish.

:facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 02:57:27 PM »
Help me here, aren't teams named after those whose prowess is admired?

Are we to abolish admiration and respect?
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 02:59:11 PM »

=D

Masterful!  :lol:
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 03:13:43 PM »

=D

Yeah, I guess we can't go with "Washington Lying-Bastards".
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 04:20:13 PM »
Why the surprise.  After all, fed.gov has long combatted race-based discrimination with a policy mandating race-based discrimination.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 05:21:22 PM »
Let's get rid of team names that insult other groups, too, like Cowboys and Vikings.

"Patriots" is a bad name too - the IRS says so.

And then we can go after college teams, starting with the Fighting Irish.

:facepalm:
Nonononono, Vikings were white, cowboys are seen as having been majority white, and since whites have no culture, whites cannot be oppressed because reasons and feelz.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 05:27:27 PM »

Actually, those are the offensive ones since they actually refer to human beings, whereas 'Redskins' is a referance to war PAINT and not the natural color of a peoples skin.

(which makes me guess that names like "blue devils" also refers to war paint? Specifically, blue wod war paint and tattoos)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 05:37:04 PM »
Nonononono, Vikings were white, cowboys are seen as having been majority white, and since whites have no culture, whites cannot be oppressed because reasons and feelz.

Well, I give you Vikings, but wait!

Though popularly considered American, the traditional cowboy began with the Spanish tradition, which evolved further in what today is Mexico and the Southwestern United States into the vaquero of northern Mexico and the charro of the Jalisco and Michoacán regions. While most hacendados (ranch owners) were ethnically Spanish criollos,[22] many early vaqueros were Native Americans trained to work for the Spanish missions in caring for the mission herds.[23] Vaqueros went north with livestock. In 1598, Don Juan de Oñate sent an expedition across the Rio Grande into New Mexico, bringing along 7000 head of cattle. From this beginning, vaqueros of mestizo heritage drove cattle from New Mexico and later Texas to Mexico City.[24] Mexican traditions spread both South and North, influencing equestrian traditions from Argentina to Canada.
Rise of the cowboy

As English-speaking traders and settlers expanded westward, English and Spanish traditions, language and culture merged to some degree. Before the Mexican-American War in 1848, New England merchants who traveled by ship to California encountered both hacendados and vaqueros, trading manufactured goods for the hides and tallow produced from vast cattle ranches. American traders along what later became known as the Santa Fe Trail had similar contacts with vaquero life. Starting with these early encounters, the lifestyle and language of the vaquero began a transformation which merged with English cultural traditions and produced what became known in American culture as the "cowboy".[25]

It appears that Cowboy is just the direct translation of Vanquero, and thus racist towards those of spanish and latino decent!

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy )

Hey, it makes just as much sense as 'redskin' being racist.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 05:44:05 PM »

It appears that Cowboy is just the direct translation of Vanquero, and thus racist towards those of spanish and latino decent!

"seen as". I know they came from probably every racial group that had a presense on the North American continent at the time, and, IIRC, whites were the minority among cowboys, but does the average "muh oppreshun!" moron know this? Probably not. Cowboys are seen as symbols of white shitlordery.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 05:57:33 PM »

You are forgetting that since Zimmerman hispanics can be considered white when it suits the agenda.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
I am offended by those wanting to do away with the "Redskins" name. As a person who sunburns easily, I feel that they represent those of my kind admirably.

BTW, a lot of black & Hispanic men were cowboys, too.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 11:42:20 PM »
More politically motivated butthurtedness.

http://www.newson6.com/story/24919263/daughter-of-okla-governor-defends-headdress-photo

I suspect that if she was not the daughter of a Republican governor this would never have been an issue.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 03:38:55 AM »
Someone in this has eyes on a settlement check. Maybe several someone's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »
More politically motivated butthurtedness.

http://www.newson6.com/story/24919263/daughter-of-okla-governor-defends-headdress-photo

I suspect that if she was not the daughter of a Republican governor this would never have been an issue.

So when are they going to go after non-Asians wearing kimonos, non-blacks wearing saggy pants, non-whites wearing wife beaters, etc.?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 05:30:02 PM »

=D
So if they renamed the team this or the Washington Hypocrits, what would the logo be?  I would suggest the weasel, but that would be insulting to weasels. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 05:34:54 PM »
So if they renamed the team this or the Washington Hypocrits, what would the logo be?  I would suggest the weasel, but that would be insulting to weasels. 

If honesty is a criteria, there will need to be some sort of deal with the -Glide/-Lube folks to compensate them from being left out of the mascot/logo thing.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.