Author Topic: Pelosi: "Redskins" is offensive so let's let everybody use "Redskins"  (Read 3094 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Pelosi: "Redskins" is offensive so let's let everybody use "Redskins"
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 06:07:30 PM »
If honesty is a criteria, there will need to be some sort of deal with the -Glide/-Lube folks to compensate them from being left out of the mascot/logo thing.

stay safe.

The "Washington Jellyfingers"   ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 11:39:23 PM »
So when are they going to go after non-Asians wearing kimonos, non-blacks wearing saggy pants, non-whites wearing wife beaters, etc.?

There was an brief uproar about Katy Perry, but it didn't stick. 

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 12:41:33 AM »
So when are they going to go after non-Asians wearing kimonos, non-blacks wearing saggy pants, non-whites wearing wife beaters, etc.?

Wait, we own the wife-beater? Sweet. I knew there was some reason I liked them so much. =)

I had this idea that the big, feathery headdress had a certain ceremonial significance, which makes me think the uproar is not entirely baseless. As opposed to kimonos, and such, which are everyday wear. Maybe I'm wrong about both.

I wonder why Katy Perry wearing a kimono is racist "appropriation," but a Japanese wearing Western clothing is conforming to the white man's fashions, or giving up his culture, or whatever.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife