Author Topic: States Trigger Constitutional Convention?  (Read 3510 times)

Marnoot

• friend
States Trigger Constitutional Convention?
« on: April 02, 2014, 11:36:16 AM »
Saw this on FoxNews.com:

Did Michigan just trigger 'constitutional convention'? Bid gains steam

Basically the article suggests that since Michigan's legislature just passed a resolution to request a constitutional convention (being the 34th state to do so since the last convention) that it triggers this portion of Article V of the constitution:

Quote from: Article V
The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments

It's noted that it's a gray area, as some of the 34 states have since rescinded their resolutions. Article V makes no provision for rescinding the propositions. I predict nothing happens as a result of this, but we'll see. What think ye?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: States Trigger Constitutional Convention?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:33:13 PM »
Federales would never let it happen, even if all resolutions were good to go.

COTUS is mere toilet paper nowadays. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 12:37:49 PM »
Federales would never let it happen, even if all resolutions were good to go.

COTUS is mere toilet paper nowadays. 

This.

Pragmatically, it doesn't matter.  No way the feds would let it happen.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 01:40:07 PM »
The Feds would just do end-runs around any balanced budget amendment unless it had some very serious teeth anyway. And anything without loopholes wouldn't get passed.

The productive class needs to go Galt en-masse and just switch over to BitCoin, gold, or something and starve the fed.gov and irresponsible state ones if it's to ever change, which of course in of itself is rather unlikely.

I promise not to duck.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 07:58:22 PM »
If it does happen time to push for term limits for House and Senate.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 08:44:08 PM »
If it does happen time to push for term limits for House and Senate.

And their retirement/pension packages. Make them do it just like everyone else.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 09:03:20 PM »
Hell, just eliminate all the exemptions they've written themselves from the laws they've passed.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 10:19:57 AM »
Repeal everything except the first five words of the First Amendment  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 06:48:30 PM »
I've seen a constituional convention talked about like a libertarians wet dream because we could get all our freedoms and rights restored and protected.
Probably far more likely to get screwed by the pants wetting liberal elite gutting the Bill of Rights.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 07:21:15 PM »
Probably far more likely to get screwed by the pants wetting liberal elite gutting the Bill of Rights.

That's my fear. A convention opens up opportunities for statist and liberty-oriented amendments alike, and there seems to be more likelihood of the former . . .

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 07:27:11 PM »
"The right to free healthcare and high speed internet shall not be infringed."

"The second amendment is repealed."
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Re: States Trigger Constitutional Convention?
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 08:08:56 PM »
I fear that any constitutional convention will be hijacked by the Marxists and America haters (at the risk of over-stating).
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 08:32:55 PM »
I've seen a constituional convention talked about like a libertarians wet dream because we could get all our freedoms and rights restored and protected.

Ayup. 

There's no way this can end well.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 10:49:42 PM »
I fear that any constitutional convention will be hijacked by the Marxists and America haters (at the risk of over-stating).

This is pretty much my view.

For all of the excesses of our .gov, there are still some limitations and protections for us. 

After a constitional convention that goes hard left what is left of our protections will be no more...unless you are one of the favored classes.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 11:38:18 PM »
This is pretty much my view.

For all of the excesses of our .gov, there are still some limitations and protections for us. 

After a constitional convention that goes hard left what is left of our protections will be no more...unless you are one of the favored classes.

Its ratified by states right? We have more red states then blue states?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 11:36:10 AM »

Exactly; the biggest fear should be that it would be an all-or-nothing deal.  If it was a series of Amendments that could be individually ratified or not, then I would expect a good result.  Then again, that's how I feel about most legislation; this country was founded on four handwritten pages, and any law longer than a paragraph needs to be tossed and rewritten.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 11:43:23 AM »

I've seen what some of those "red" states vote for. Start threatening to cut their pork and we will see how fiscally conservative they are. I'm betting the answer is "not very."
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 06:16:13 PM »
I really want to think Mark Levin is right and the states will control the convention.  That said, a true constitutional convention would draw every political and social pathology out of the woodwork in an effort to help correct what used to be known as the US.  Does anyone with two functioning brain cells thinks the likes of Soros would sit this one out?  Not hardly.  More likely is Soros and the like would proceed to empty their bank accounts in an effort to buy anyone at any level having any thing to do with the convention. 

I will say I have not read Levin's book, yet, but listening to him describe what will happen is like listening to a boxing match where the participants are bound to the Marquis of Queensbury rules.  The reality is a constitutional convention would be the Mother of All Knife Fights where there are no rules.  I'm not much for showdown fights.  I'd rather fight barricade to barricade.  A constitutional convention  strikes me as a showdown fight.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 06:26:42 PM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 10:13:42 PM »
The Feds don't follow the Constitution we have now....why do you think they would follow a new one?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 10:46:40 PM »
If "they" got their way with a constitutional rewrite .gov would just be better able to justify using it a a bludgeon to stifle dissent. Not that the .gov feels any particular need to justify stifling of dissent.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: States Trigger Constitutional Convention?
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 06:36:38 AM »
Cotus as written is fine and dandy.  Govt does not follow it because those in govt do not fear the consequences.  Rather than a convention an educational set of horrible warnings would be more likely to result in limited govt.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 08:16:42 AM »
^^^^^ What he said.  I've long maintained a number of the constitutional problems we face would be cleared up with a good dose of fear of the taxpayers by the ruling class.  Reintroducing fear into the relationship would yield more predictable results than a convention.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 10:41:58 AM »

Ayep. A lot of people seem to drool over the concept of a constitutional convention. Why they think they'll get a BETTER version than the existing version, I'll never understand. Just like the folks who dream of another civil war. They never stop to consider that they'll lose spectacularly and things will end up even worse.  As written, the Constitution is pretty good to go. While far from perfect, it's good enough. But when all three alleged checks and balances collude, well. No kidding. Even if libertarians got their constitutional convention (unlikely) and got a more libertarian constitution (BWAHAHAHAHA), how do said libertarians care to enforce it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonacquiescence

Yes, that's right, Lil' Libertarian. They will ignore your fancy new Constitution and do what they want to do anyways.

"The decision of the supreme court has fell still born, and they find that it cannot coerce Georgia to yield to its mandate."
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 11:10:17 AM »
Just like the folks who dream of another civil war. They never stop to consider that they'll lose spectacularly and things will end up even worse. 

I hold zero illusions.

If it gets to that point, I know I'll have to satisfy myself with the knowledge that a bunch of the people responsible will (hopefully) be made to pay with their lives, and that even if everyone loses, at least they didn't "win".

I promise not to duck.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 11:44:14 AM »
Echoing most of the above...

1) We do not have better minds nor hearts than the Framers, so why assume superior results from a new Constitution?

2) COTUS is at root a set of principles. The failure is not in the principles, but in not living by them.

3) The only reason to revisit the COTUS is to acknowledge that we now adhere to different, I would argue inferior, principles. The solution is a return to the originals. Our present path certainly isn't moving in that direction.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch