Author Topic: Well, that ruins my whole night...  (Read 4720 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Well, that ruins my whole night...
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:20:13 PM »
Our embarrassing Democratic governor (redundant, I know) has vetoed a bill that would advance RKBA in my state. From what I'm told, his excuse was the arming teachers part, but expanding open carry was also a part of the bill. I'm not the biggest open-carry guy, but I was really looking forward to having a viable way to open carry - even in the crappy, urban area where I currently live - as a birthday present, right at the end of August.

http://themissouritimes.com/11596/press-release-gov-nixon-announces-final-bill-actions/

The Republicans have a chokehold on the state assembly, so the veto may very well be overridden. But: :mad:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Well, that ruins my whole night...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 09:52:48 PM »
Missouri at times is almost as embarrassing as Illinois, Kansas City and St Louis politics run that state way too much.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:01:52 AM »
I will punch you.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 10:03:33 AM »
Truth hurts
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 10:18:54 AM »
"Misery, the Blow-Me State"
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 10:15:26 AM »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 11:30:07 PM »
Perhaps a little blowback from what's been happening in  Ferguson?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 12:19:18 AM »
Perhaps a little blowback from what's been happening in  Ferguson?

More specifically, what's been coming out of the governor's mouth since Ferguson.  ;/

Here's a genius advising people against open carry.
http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=1095478#.VBJtNDkhbct

In the video, while standing in his store (carrying openly) he says the following:
"Plus, we discourage it because if you are walking around with open carry and somebody burglarizes are robs your place, you are going to be the first target.”

He's the same genius that got our CCW classes screwed up for a while, and tied up gun rights' proponents on cruft they shouldn't have had to deal with. Details here: http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=29092

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 09:51:01 AM »
I'm not the biggest open-carry guy, but I was really looking forward to having a viable way to open carry - even in the crappy, urban area where I currently live - as a birthday present, right at the end of August.

The real advantage of open carry is not open carry in itself. The real advantage is that you don't have to worry about printing, 1/4" of your holster showing, or your shirt catching on something causing your carry weapon to be in full view of others around you momentarily.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 10:09:44 AM »
The real advantage of open carry is not open carry in itself. The real advantage is that you don't have to worry about printing, 1/4" of your holster showing, or your shirt catching on something causing your carry weapon to be in full view of others around you momentarily.

This, so glad that Oklahoma gives us the option now.  Not sure I would ever open carry but glad that if I print or accidently show I'm safe.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 10:23:26 AM »
This, so glad that Oklahoma gives us the option now.  Not sure I would ever open carry but glad that if I print or accidently show I'm safe.
I call it the 'sweat pants and flip flops' rule.
If I want to run to walmart, I don't have dress in any special manner in order to conceal a handgun.

Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 11:30:39 AM »
Ohio has open carry by default, there is no law against it so it is legal.  I don't know of many people that do open carry.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 01:27:25 PM »
Ohio has open carry by default, there is no law against it so it is legal.  I don't know of many people that do open carry.

Theoretically, Missouri is the same. However, our preemption law does not cover open carry, and some cities have outlawed the practice.

It's hilarious that concealed carry used to be the boogeyman, because you wouldn't know people were carrying, and now open carry is a form of extremizm!! because, uh - well, just because.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 04:18:51 PM »

There's an Ohio subforum on opencarry.org, if you'd like to meet some:  http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?119-Ohio
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 04:27:37 PM »

That's one thing that Ill-i-noise at least got right.  (Being last has the advantage of being able to learn from the experience of everyone else.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 11:36:10 PM »
If I want to run to walmart, I don't have dress in any special manner in order to conceal a handgun.

You should dress enough to cover your jiggly and hairy parts though. Even at walmart. Just sayin'...
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 11:59:37 PM »
Quote from: adively

Theoretically, Missouri is the same. However, our preemption law does not cover open carry, and some cities have outlawed the practice.

Dunno about Missouri, but the Ohio state constitution guarantees the right to keep and bear arms, but state law used to prohibit concealed carry. The cops naturally assumed that meant all carry was illegal and arrested anyone they saw with a gun. Several years ago, one of the victims of this over-zealous enforcemt decided not to roll over, and took it to court. My recollection is that he lost in the lower courts, but he appealed to the state supreme court and they decided he was right.

Basically, the ruling said the state can regulate the mode of carry, but cannot prohibit something that is expressly guaranteed in the constitution. Therefore (said the court), since the state legislature had prohibited concealed carry, that meant open carry was legal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 01:19:35 AM »
I kid you not. This is actually someone's response to Missouri's new law on open carry:

So now if you're carrying a firearm you have special rights in Missouri that Unarmed people don't have.

https://news.vice.com/article/the-last-thing-missouri-needs-is-more-guns-but-thats-exactly-what-its-getting

I waded in his cesspool of a twitter account for a while, and he is apparently not kidding. Another of his responses was a link to the video clip of Jesus, from the Big Lebowski, threatening to shove someone's gun into an uncomfortable locale. I pray he is not from my home state.  :'(

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 04:40:17 AM »
You should dress enough to cover your jiggly and hairy parts though. Even at walmart. Just sayin'...

I dob't want to draw attention to myself by dressing differently than everyone else.  :angel:

Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 11:02:11 AM »
Open carry worked pretty well for the Bundy supporters  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 02:42:02 PM »

Dunno about Missouri, but the Ohio state constitution guarantees the right to keep and bear arms, but state law used to prohibit concealed carry. The cops naturally assumed that meant all carry was illegal and arrested anyone they saw with a gun. Several years ago, one of the victims of this over-zealous enforcemt decided not to roll over, and took it to court. My recollection is that he lost in the lower courts, but he appealed to the state supreme court and they decided he was right.

Basically, the ruling said the state can regulate the mode of carry, but cannot prohibit something that is expressly guaranteed in the constitution. Therefore (said the court), since the state legislature had prohibited concealed carry, that meant open carry was legal.

Which was the point in time, IIRC, that Ohio finally got concealed carry.  Also the way WI went.  Again, IIRC.

Ill-annoy went a bit different.  Didn't have concealed.  Didn't have open.  Didn't have nothin'.  Court said, had to have something.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 06:00:27 PM »

Meh.  SmartCarry is the easiest holster I've found to put on regardless of what other clothing is being worn, and easily concealed in any outfit that won't get me arrested without a firearm.  Plus the advantage of being able to turn it to either side and position it just like a tuckable IWB when that's more comfortable.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 07:18:10 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/events/690379891057306/

An open/concealed carry "education walk" through the business district of downtown St. Louis. The organizers are trying to "raise awareness" of constitutional carry. They believe that open carry is guaranteed, state-wide, by our new constitutional amendment. Your thoughts?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 10:41:51 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/events/690379891057306/

An open/concealed carry "education walk" through the business district of downtown St. Louis. The organizers are trying to "raise awareness" of constitutional carry. They believe that open carry is guaranteed, state-wide, by our new constitutional amendment. Your thoughts?

Has the constitutional amendment gone into effect?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 11:48:34 AM »
The amendment has gone into effect. By that time, the law that allows anyone with a CCW permit to carry openly throughout the state will also have taken effect.