Author Topic: Bake Annother Cake!  (Read 3024 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Bake Annother Cake!
« on: August 17, 2018, 10:24:56 AM »
That poor baker in CO is being wrung through the wringer again. This time for transgender discrimination. I note one interesting part of the article:

Phillips received a call from attorney Autumn Scardina making a specific request for a cake celebrating a gender transition.

That sounds like a setup to me. Especially after the Supreme Court ruling.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/08/17/tammy-bruce-bake-cake-or-else-is-back-baker-who-won-high-court-ruling-is-under-renewed-assault.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Bake Annother Cake!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 11:02:27 AM »
Sounds like a coordinated set up.

Be interesting if that can be proven. Grounds for an enormous lawsuit.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 11:17:15 AM »
Fire up the woodchipper!
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 11:18:38 AM »
Time for a plague carrying asteroid.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 11:57:44 AM »
They better hope this one doesn't go to the Supreme Court.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 11:10:09 PM »
"Setup" was the first thing I thought, as well

I see no reason why this baker is being targeted, other than the Left thinking he's somehow low-hanging fruit
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 12:23:37 AM »
"Setup" was the first thing I thought, as well

I see no reason why this baker is being targeted, other than the Left thinking he's somehow low-hanging fruit

Because they didn't run him out of business the first time, so they'll try again.  And again after that, until he either recants or closes shop.  His religious beliefs are wrong and must be punished.

BTW, there are Halal bakeries in Colorado (I just looked it up)  You don't see them being targeted; I wonder why?
"It's good, though..."

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 09:00:09 AM »
Oh, I understand that y'all Christians are currently the acceptable whipping boys for a certain segment of society. But this guy can't be the ONLY Christian businessman in the state: why keep targeting him? Why not move on to another?

Or is the Left really that blinded by their own perceived power?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 09:13:50 AM »
^ "Or is the Left really that blinded by their own perceived power?"

Yes.  But substitute "encouraged" for "blinded."

Used to be they used successive compromises as the major strategy to achieve their ends.

But since they now perceive that companies (especially communications) and other institutions are caving in to them, they are taking a bulldozer approach.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 10:00:46 AM »
What the last few people said. Phillips refused to bow the knee, and won. The Tolerant will not tolerate such. He must be humbled.

Also, I wonder if it might be a Colorado thing. I haven't been there in about three decades, but I understand it is a state the Left has "flipped." I wonder if the animus against Phillips is a blue team vs red team "you people are what is wrong with Colorado" thing. Maybe the Left has to show the Right that the new sheriff is in charge.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 03:35:23 PM »
What the last few people said. Phillips refused to bow the knee, and won. The Tolerant will not tolerate such. He must be humbled.

Also, I wonder if it might be a Colorado thing. I haven't been there in about three decades, but I understand it is a state the Left has "flipped." I wonder if the animus against Phillips is a blue team vs red team "you people are what is wrong with Colorado" thing. Maybe the Left has to show the Right that the new sheriff is in charge.

Honestly enough, this could happen in Texas as well.  It's an attack that only requires ONE person in the whole bloody country to do it.  It's simple enough, there's enough details in the public to find the bakery, and you just have to call in an order for a cake you know they'll object to, that is covered under some other aspect of the anti-discrimination law, with a lawyer on hand to prosecute the case.

Don't have the money?  A go fund me or such.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 06:16:20 PM »
It could happen anywhere if the leftists are determined enough to do it.  However, it also depends on how much support those leftist have in the state and local govt and how many are willing to support the one targeted.  

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/El-Tiempo-Cantina-shuts-down-social-media-13149255.php
Here is an example just this last week in Houston.  El Tiempo Cantina posted a photo of the owner with Jeff Sessions.  The rage mob went into attack mode online and started trashing them in online reviews.  
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Uproar-over-Sessions-visit-to-Tex-Mex-restaurant-13156362.php

Last I heard yesterday the restaurant was packed to the gills with customers and there were a handful of protesters outside looking foolish.  At least one local radio show has been talking about it.  One couple said they they drove in from San Antonio to eat and support the place.  We will see if it blows over or not.  I think the online harassment is bigger than the actual harassment in person.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 06:25:01 PM »
https://www.click2houston.com/news/protest-held-to-boycott-el-tiempo-restaurant-after-owner-takes-picture-with-ag-jeff-sessions
About 40 seconds into the video is the lady protester saying "put the taco down".  I just found that incredibly funny.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 06:29:11 PM »
I thought I heard the cake guy is getting support from groups that support his position.  I just don't know how much. 

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 03:41:02 PM »
I just wish there was more than one bakery in Colorado...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 04:44:18 PM »
It could happen anywhere if the leftists are determined enough to do it.  However, it also depends on how much support those leftist have in the state and local govt and how many are willing to support the one targeted.  

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/El-Tiempo-Cantina-shuts-down-social-media-13149255.php
Here is an example just this last week in Houston.  El Tiempo Cantina posted a photo of the owner with Jeff Sessions.  The rage mob went into attack mode online and started trashing them in online reviews.  
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Uproar-over-Sessions-visit-to-Tex-Mex-restaurant-13156362.php

Last I heard yesterday the restaurant was packed to the gills with customers and there were a handful of protesters outside looking foolish.  At least one local radio show has been talking about it.  One couple said they they drove in from San Antonio to eat and support the place.  We will see if it blows over or not.  I think the online harassment is bigger than the actual harassment in person.

It is easy to be a keyboard commando, difficult to be a in person protester as it would actually require effort on their part.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 08:54:49 PM »
All I have to say at this point is that guy must make the best darn cakes in the entire world if people are going to this much trouble to get one.

Would someone buy me a cake? Because I would like to try the best darn cake in the world, and apparently this guy is the one that makes them.

And it doesn't even have to be a gay cake. I'll take a straight one. I'm not picky.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 01:06:11 AM »
Amy and bsl are cracking me up.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 01:24:15 AM »
I will laugh when someone tries this on a Muslim bakery and the chef runs them out of the shop with a cimeter (scimitar?) or breaking knife  https://www.tigerchef.com/forschner-40131-curved-cimeter.html  I have one just like this except with a plastic handle instead of rosewood.  I kinda wish I'd bought the 12" version, just for effect.  (I mostly use it for cutting watermelons, not infidels)
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 10:09:37 PM »
Amy and bsl are cracking me up.

Does that mean you're buying me a cake?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 10:24:58 PM »
Does that mean you're buying me a cake?

A fabulous cake!

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 11:35:48 PM »
All I have to say at this point is that guy must make the best darn cakes in the entire world if people are going to this much trouble to get one.

Would someone buy me a cake? Because I would like to try the best darn cake in the world, and apparently this guy is the one that makes them.

And it doesn't even have to be a gay cake. I'll take a straight one. I'm not picky.

Let's take up a collection to have this guy send BSL a cake. I'll chip in a few bux.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 12:25:17 AM »
Masterpiece cakes are like Chick-fil-A - hate is delicious.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 09:51:04 AM »
I wish there was a Chick-fil-A closer to me. The "nearest" one to me is far enough that lunch would cost as much (or more) in gas as (than) the actual meal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 09:58:25 AM »
I wish there was a Chick-fil-A closer to me. The "nearest" one to me is far enough that lunch would cost as much (or more) in gas as (than) the actual meal.

Meh - just be like a pilot and go for the $100 hamburger.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."