Author Topic: Online Meetings from 3G Connection?  (Read 1174 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Online Meetings from 3G Connection?
« on: June 15, 2010, 10:07:49 AM »
Has anyone held or attended a Webex or GoToMeeting session via a 3G connection? I'm being asked to setup remote access for a meeting in a place where we'll only have a 3G router and am looking to see if it will even be worth it to do so, or if the connection will be too jerky to be worthwhile. There won't be any videos or anything super bandwidth-sucking, but there will be a lot of live Google Earth stuff running (one app at a time) that will be internal, so the remote attendees won't be able to just go to Google Earth from their connection.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Online Meetings from 3G Connection?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 01:48:18 PM »
are you using one of these?
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=524

ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/DIR-450/DIR-450_ds.pdf

The 3G Mobile Router DIR-450 enables users to quickly create a secure wireless 802.11g (108G) network and provide access to the Internet using a cellular signal*
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 02:02:01 PM »
Yeah, the Linksys version. Spiffy for general, short burst internet activity, but ours on Verizon sometimes has latency issues with intensive, larger files. I know there's generally a little lag with Webex, etc on a standard connection. I just don't know if it's still acceptable at 3G.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 02:21:17 PM »
well webex appears to support 3g connections on a smartphone but accessing via laptops over 3g might put you into a different profile and draw more bandwidth than the 3g profile
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 05:15:11 PM »
well webex appears to support 3g connections on a smartphone but accessing via laptops over 3g might put you into a different profile and draw more bandwidth than the 3g profile

I saw that and figured the same as you on the profile. Turns out I was able to arrange some test time on our account tomorrow, so I'm going to run a test with one of the remote users and see how it goes.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 08:11:40 PM »
When we were in the testing phase of our live web camera system from Pete's Pond Botswana,
we had a epicly bad feed coming down from the satellite link.
I was looking at the data demands, and saw more traffic than my camera requests were creating,
so I asked my Boss, who was at the site what was going on...

Across the sat phone connection, I heard,
"We are downloading google earth and running it on several laptops here at the pond"
"Would that cause a problem?"

Gee, I don't know, do ya think my 500kps link would suffer?

<facepalm>