Author Topic: Why am I such a chicken?  (Read 14852 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Why am I such a chicken?
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2008, 07:01:18 AM »
....and....?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2008, 07:28:48 AM »
!!!DON'T LEAVE US HANGIN', DUDE!!!
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2008, 10:13:50 AM »
oh whoops.  We're on for this weekend.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2008, 10:16:06 AM »
oh whoops.  We're on for this weekend.

....on what?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2008, 10:40:07 AM »
??  On - as in, dinner and a movie.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2008, 10:42:31 AM »
Suggestion-

If the dinner is going well, and the conversation is flowing, skip the movie.

While romantic, is disallows for conversation....have a backup plan....bowling, taking a walk, nice coffee shop to talk....

If you are so stressed your hair is falling out, or the conversation is slow, go to the movie....
One day at a time.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2008, 10:50:19 AM »
Back before Mrs Charby showed up, I used to do the traditional sit down dinner for a 1st date. I always picked a more upscale place to see if they would dress appropriate for the place and I like the way women look dressed up. Des Moines, IA has a ton of upscale places with modest prices, well at least they did 4-5 years ago.

If conversation was going well I always said, "Hey want to grab a beer downtown after dinner?" Never had a single date say no to that question and date always seemed to go better once we were in a more relaxed bar environment.

If course I was never scared to ask someone out of the blue if they wanted to go on a date. I always figured if they said no, I was one step closer to one that says yes.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2008, 11:00:12 AM »
What? Nobody's said it yet? What a bunch of "friends"...  rolleyes

Way to go .Cheese.!

The absolute critical next step when you're a nervous shy guy is avoiding getting a raging case of "She's the one"-itis with the first girl you've gotten over the fear-hump with and dated.

Unless by some miracle, and a lot of unemotional examination, you determine she really is perfect, she is for practice only. Do not promise or expect exclusivity.

If it was meant to be, with her, or anyone else, "it" will survive you playing the field a bit first. And if you're honest and otherwise a gentleman, it will only make her want you more anyway.
I promise not to duck.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2008, 11:04:25 AM »
I don't know why, but the phrase "gotten over the fear-hump" seems oddly appropriate in this context......
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2008, 11:14:51 AM »
I don't have a problem while on dates.  I just have never been the one to ask somebody out before, it's always been the other way around.

"She's the one"-

Unlikely.  She's interesting enough though that I'd like to learn more.

she is for practice only.

very likely.  Especially considering I'm only in town for 8 months max.

She'll probably end up being a friend like the other girls I've gone out with.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2008, 11:23:48 AM »
I don't know why, but the phrase "gotten over the fear-hump" seems oddly appropriate in this context......

Actually yeah.

Work hard to avoid "she's the one"-itis with the first you've dated or sex.

And .Cheese. don't take what I say the wrong way. Because I'm that guy. Unsuccessful and shy through high school and college, and my first successful dating/relationship is how I wound up with Mrs. Dual. IMO, overall, I lucked out way more than I've had any right to, and I've got some beautiful kids to show for it. OTOH, barely a day goes by that I don't pay dearly for how I did things too.

And while it's not enough to make me break my vows, I'll be bluntly honest and say that I'll never be fully free of the regret and guilt I feel towards myself for not playing the field first and having more experiences, or when by chance I meet a woman who manages to trip "the one" meter, and there's nothing I can do but smile, shake hands, and walk away.

(edit) read .Cheese.'s update above. Good to know. But it applies waiting on her to ask you out too.
I promise not to duck.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2008, 11:27:44 AM »
No worries.

And while it's not enough to make me break my vows, I'll be bluntly honest and say that I'll never be fully free of the regret and guilt I feel towards myself for not playing the field first and having more experiences, or when by chance I meet a woman who manages to trip "the one" meter, and there's nothing I can do but smile, shake hands, and walk away.

Ever see Jeff Dunham perform?  I'm reminded of one of his lines referring to marriage: "Do you see that lovely lady sitting right there?  Oh well....... all you can do is run to the end of your chain and bark."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2008, 11:43:30 AM »

Ever see Jeff Dunham perform?  I'm reminded of one of his lines referring to marriage: "Do you see that lovely lady sitting right there?  Oh well....... all you can do is run to the end of your chain and bark."

Oh, that's nothing. Every comitted hetero male on Earth feels thatcheesy

It's about 1000 X worse when it's not just based on appearance or the "fresh meat" factor, but when it's caused by compatible personality, attitudes, political/social beliefs, interests, and hobbies as well.
I promise not to duck.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2008, 11:46:40 AM »
My buddy talks about "the 10 things"....there will always be 10 things that drive you nuts about someone....can you live with those 10 things?  Are they really that bad?

The next one may have better 10 things, but may have worse ones, too...
One day at a time.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2008, 12:02:11 PM »

If course I was never scared to ask someone out of the blue if they wanted to go on a date. I always figured if they said no, I was one step closer to one that says yes.

My wife uses that exact philosophy in her business. 
Cheese.....
And don't forget, "No" means just that, "no".  It is not a statement of your attractiveness, personality, dress, breath, body odor, or anything else.  Unless they tell you "No, you're a nasty little troll and I'd rather date Jamisjockey..."....."No" is not a rejection of you, its just a rejection of a date.

Rethink how you phrase the question.  There is a pinciple in sales....the hard sell.
"Do you want to go on a date?" Leaves them with a yes or no choice.
Instead, use the presumptive sales approach:
"We should go get coffee, or maybe dinner....which sounds good to you?"
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2008, 12:45:34 PM »
Tell us about the girl..... 

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2008, 01:13:13 PM »
Well, I met her in a bar...in Mexico....in 1994....
Oh! I thought you meant me!!!!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2008, 01:38:25 PM »
Well, I met her in a bar...in Mexico....in 1994....
Oh! I thought you meant me!!!!

Well...now that you've started.....  grin

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2008, 02:02:37 PM »
Go ahead JamisJockey.... please continue.  laugh

As for the girl, I'd rather leave the details out as I've already let too much slip of my personal life.  undecided

Can't leave myself entirely exposed on the interweb!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2008, 02:38:58 PM »
Well....
I saw this young, thin, long haired beauty smoking a cig and drinking a fruity drink in a disco-teq in San Luis, Mexico.  I asked her if she wanted to dance. She said after her cig.  I went back to my group and figured it was a no....but no biggie....lots of foxy ladies looking for love in that place.
A few minutes later I feel a tug on my sleeve....its her....she's ready to dance.
We hung out, danced, drank and had fun.
Called her the next day, and other than a short hiatus during our engagement, we've been together ever since.
JD

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2008, 03:35:54 PM »
Nice story. Smiley

I'm sure mine will be more like, we get together, have dinner and a movie, go back to her place.  She tells me to take off her shirt... then she tells me to take off her dress..... and then she tells me that she thinks it's weird I was wearing her clothes in the first place.  laugh

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2008, 04:19:03 PM »
Nice story. Smiley

I'm sure mine will be more like, we get together, have dinner and a movie, go back to her place.  She tells me to take off her shirt... then she tells me to take off her dress..... and then she tells me that she thinks it's weird I was wearing her clothes in the first place.  laugh

Shirley, you jest.
JD

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2008, 05:13:03 PM »
 rolleyes

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2008, 05:35:40 PM »
Nice story. Smiley

Well....if that's your best joke, then I hope you can pull off the "strong, silent type" act...... undecided