Author Topic: Ted is Dead  (Read 14267 times)

Phyphor

• friend
Re: Ted is Dead
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2009, 06:08:53 PM »
We're not showing sympathy, we're simply not going to drag his corpse through the street. 

I'm not sure why this is so hard to grok especially considering the righteous indignation if this were Reagan being trashed on DU.

Chris

QFT!!

If one wishes to claim the moral high ground, then it usually behooves one to actually hold that ground.

Dems/kooks/ne'r-do-wells may crow over the deaths of those they're against, but that doesn't mean we have to do the same.

In any case, may he rest in peace.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

taurusowner

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2009, 08:44:12 PM »
If he wasn't a killer, I might be inclined to take the high road so to speak.  But the fact is, he killed someone.  That changes everything for me.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2009, 09:12:57 PM »
If he wasn't a killer, I might be inclined to take the high road so to speak.  But the fact is, he killed someone.  That changes everything for me.

Agreed, so I guess I'll say nothing about that "person", as my membership here isn't worth the risk.   =|

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2009, 09:29:43 PM »

While it would appear so, he was never convicted.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
what did he plead to? i forget
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2009, 09:35:49 PM »
Leaving the scene of the accident or something like that.

Chris

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2009, 09:47:48 PM »
Not familiar with Taxachusett state law, but if his name wasn't Kennedy would that have been manslaughter or negligent homicide? I'm thinking negligent homicide, but like I say I know as little as possible about that state.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2009, 10:39:56 PM »
If one wishes to claim the moral high ground, then it usually behooves one to actually hold that ground.

Dems/kooks/ne'r-do-wells may crow over the deaths of those they're against, but that doesn't mean we have to do the same.

In any case, may he rest in peace. 

We hold the moral high ground regardless. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2009, 10:51:12 PM »
Interestingly, ABC News is running a blog about "What do the Kennedys mean to you?"

I think they were expecting a bunch of gushy comments about the "American Royalty", but instead are getting around 99% negative comments. I can't believe it's all "right wing extremists" as the 1% of "positive" posts claim. Seems like there is a pretty good political mix not all that enthralled with Camelot.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2009/08/what-do-the-kennedys-mean-to-you/comments/page/1/#comments
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2009, 11:36:22 PM »
Interestingly, ABC News is running a blog about "What do the Kennedys mean to you?"

I think they were expecting a bunch of gushy comments about the "American Royalty", but instead are getting around 99% negative comments. I can't believe it's all "right wing extremists" as the 1% of "positive" posts claim. Seems like there is a pretty good political mix not all that enthralled with Camelot.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/2009/08/what-do-the-kennedys-mean-to-you/comments/page/1/#comments
WOW, I read quite a ways down and didn't see one positive comment.  However, there is some pretty good snark. 

The Shrivers were nice.
He reminds us that stimulus money needs to be diverted to building guard rails for bridges.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2009, 06:33:02 PM »
Last I check the only Americans enthused with royalty is the media.  Joe and Martha Sixpack ain't got the time of day for pomposity.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2009, 09:40:34 PM »
I am ill.

I just read that Teddy was buried in Arlington, and received a military rifle salute. How does he come to be buried among the heroes of this country? How did he rate a military rifle salute? Teddy Kennedy never served a day in uniform. {Edit: I have been informed that he did spend a minimum enlistment as a Private, in Germany, during the Korean Conflict.}

And then there was this:

At a packed funeral Mass earlier Saturday in his hometown, Edward Kennedy was remembered as a fierce competitor, a tender-hearted father, and, in the words of President Obama, "the greatest legislator of all time."

Where is that :BARF: icon when I need it? I can't believe even Obama would stoop to calling Teddy the greatest legislator of all time. That's not only an insult to the great legislators who have gone before him, it's also an insult to the many mediocre legislators who were, nonethelesss, better than he.

Excuse me, I have to go throw up ...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 10:08:07 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2009, 10:14:45 PM »
Ted Kennedy at times was a helper/voice for the working class people, well I don't agree with many of the things he did in his life, he did at times try to take of the little guy.

This.  I may not agree with a lot of his stances, he seemed like a more principled guy than most of our other congress critters these days, especially in his last 15 years.

He never knew what it was like to struggle, yet he always had his eye out for those of us struggling.  I didn't agree with a lot of his methods for helping the little guy out, but he was looking out for his constituents, unlike 90% of congress these days.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2009, 11:21:05 PM »
Had he cared one bit about the little guy, he would have checked to see whether his methods were helping or hurting.  The road to a broken country is paved with good intentions and dead Kennedys. 

No, not the band; the politicians. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2009, 11:40:05 PM »
Last I check the only Americans enthused with royalty is the media.  Joe and Martha Sixpack ain't got the time of day for pomposity.

Yeah, history shows they have more important things to obsess over, like Michael Jackson, OJ Simpson, Anna Nichole Smith and other paragons of importance. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2009, 07:40:54 AM »
Excuse me, I have to go throw up ...
Easy big fella. Can I get you some koolaid?

See, your mistake was watching that drivel. I watched Andy Griffith all day, my blood pressure is probably still a bit lower than it should be from all that Mayberry goodness.  :laugh:

My first hint that I should find TV solitude amongst the massive coverage was when I heard Biden say he led a heroic life.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2009, 09:58:11 AM »
I may not agree with a lot of his stances, he seemed like a more principled guy than most of our other congress critters these days, especially in his last 15 years.
I believe you may be confusing consistency with principles. Many other legislators shift their positions with overnight polls and campaign contributions, showing that they, in fact, stand for nothing.

But Teddy could be counted on to do the wrong thing and espouse the wrong position with regularity; I don't equate consistent bad behavior - in both public and private affairs - with principles.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2009, 10:10:09 AM »
I think Teddy was sincere in his beliefs.  He was also wrong more often than not.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2009, 01:11:49 PM »
I believe you may be confusing consistency with principles. Many other legislators shift their positions with overnight polls and campaign contributions, showing that they, in fact, stand for nothing.

But Teddy could be counted on to do the wrong thing and espouse the wrong position with regularity; I don't equate consistent bad behavior - in both public and private affairs - with principles.

Wrong is a moral relativity.  In his heart, he believed it was right.  If only we could get some conservative leadership with that level of fortitude.  Considering the right-bent nature of our populous, we might actually have a conservative government.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2009, 02:00:22 PM »
I see CNN is reporting that he asked the Pope to pray for him.  A copy of the letter to the Pope is included in the article.  Nowhere do I read in that letter any mention of remorse for Mary Jo.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2009, 02:39:33 AM »
Wrong is a moral relativity.  In his heart, he believed it was right.

In his heart, Jim Jones probably believed he was right.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2009, 06:07:49 AM »
In his heart, Jim Jones probably believed he was right.

...as did your friendly neighborhood child molester....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2009, 11:06:49 AM »
....and Mao....

(this could keep going for days)
D. R. ZINN

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2009, 11:58:37 AM »
But it won't.  Comparing Ted Kennedy to Mao and Jim Jones?
 :rolleyes:
JD