Author Topic: Cigarette packaging  (Read 11077 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Cigarette packaging
« on: June 21, 2011, 12:11:35 PM »
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/52047424-68/labels-cigarette-smoking-fda.html.csp

Personally, I think this is insane.  The problem with smoking as a public health problem is not that smokers don't understand the health implications, IMO.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Cigarette packaging
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 12:31:09 PM »
I predict you'll see people looking for the most disturbing packs as a badge of machismo.

Chris

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 12:46:44 PM »
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/52047424-68/labels-cigarette-smoking-fda.html.csp

Personally, I think this is insane.  The problem with smoking as a public health problem is not that smokers don't understand the health implications, IMO.

Correct.  The "problem" is that 1) smokers enjoy smoking, 2) smoking becomes a habit, C) it's also addictive.

I quit smoking completely 1,693 days ago.  (I have a simple spreadsheet on my desktop that tracks it by days.)  And that was after over 25 years of heavy smoking.  My company's health plan has a pretty good smoking cessation program that I took advantage of when I was ready to quit! My wife and I both took advantage of it, and quit within a week of each other.

All that background is to preface this:  We have guests who smoke.  We don't preach at them or shun them; we put out an ashtray.  If we're in a public place where people are smoking, we do NOT make faces and wave our hands around like we're having a fit.  We both get annoyed (extremely) at the commercials lamenting that Las Vegas does not have what so many other "World Class" cities have: clean indoor air.  Then there are the commercials that have the kids talking about how much money we could take from smokers through even more taxes to put towards The Government's social engineering projects.

Can't we all just leave each other alone?   :laugh:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 01:18:31 PM »
People can smoke all they want, chew or dip too.  Just don't do it near me and expose me to your smoke.  I know the majority of them will die before they reach my age, but that is their choice....chris3

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:36:17 PM »
Let's not turn this into a smoking argument. The OP's topic is about the mandated graphics.

I quit smoking on September 7, 2008. Prior to that I smoked five packs a day. I started smoking about a pack a day when I was 16 in 1966.

I knew all along that smoking was hazardous to my health, and knew for most of those years that it probably would cause some kind of cancer. Still, I never quit.

Prohibition didn't stop people from drinking. "Reefer Madness" didn't stop people from smoking grass (if anything, it provided entertainment while stoned). Current drug laws don't stop people from using crack, cocaine and other drugs.

I guess the folks in government never learn.

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 01:39:55 PM »
IMO, all drugs, from alchol, through booze, cigarettes, cocaine to weed should be legal, and sold in plain packaging that'd state in stark terms, how addictive they are, what are the health risks, how much they lower life expectancy, etc. Not really necessary to put nasty pictures on them.

[slightly offtopic]
It seems preposterous to me that people at times actually believed inhaling any kind of smoke is not harmful.
That said, anyone stupid enough to smoke $hit deserves all the health related trouble  smoking brings with them.

The only concern of mine is that people who don't smoke don't have to share the smokers' healthcare expenses. Same goes for alcoholics and gluttons. Those people deserve to pay higher health insurance.

I'm ambivalent about smoking bans. On one hand, before smoking bans, there was not one pub in Bratislava with clean air. Sure, there were cafés and restaurants with clean air, but not one of these places served beer at reasonable prices.

Doesn't matter that a lot of people don't smoke at all, simply put, no pub owners risked banning smokers from his venue. No one even dared to experiment, or to try to lure non-smokers with a smoke-free establishment.
It's the same with loud music... doesn't matter that half of the people dislike it, if they don't speak up or leave, pubs will continue to play effing loud music.

I mean.. I once specifically asked them to not play any music (we were alone in our part of the cellar, and it was nicely quiet when we sat down). Specifically. Five minutes later, music starts blaring... so I disconnected the speakers, instead of asking again. Staff were later seen scratching their dim heads..

Come to think of it, next time something irritates me this way in a pub, I'll make myself heard.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 01:42:10 PM »
The reasoning they give is very nanny-state. If the justification was that some smokers can't read, that would be more palatable.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 02:19:24 PM »
Seriously!  If the punitive taxation and pariah-hood that has been imposed on smokers has not gotten them to quit, do these fools really expect a graphic to do the job? :facepalm:

Anybody else here ever have "altitude sickness" while being a 5-pack-a-day smoker?  Who refused to give up smoking even while unable to draw a breath?  With a measured hypoxia of 70%?  And you think a graphic was going to even be noticed, let alone have some magical impact on behavior?

All I can say is I have not had a cigarette since before the days when smokers were forced to huddle outside at least 50 feet from the doorway in order to suck down tars and nicotine.  In some places (New Yawk Citee!) that almost puts them out in the middle of the street - and they don't care if they have to stand there dodging traffic.

There are days when I am convinced that if you showed a liberal the instructions printed on the bottom of the heel of a boot they still could not pour piss out of it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 02:43:29 PM »

It'll make sense when they also require cars to be fully adorned with graphic pictures of accident victims.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 03:05:37 PM »
It'll make sense when they also require cars to be fully adorned with graphic pictures of accident victims.

Don't give them ideas!

:P
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 03:15:54 PM »
IMO, cars of people who DUI ought to be adorned with these kinds of pictures.

I mean, if it'd prevent just one drunk driver from getting behind the wheel.. =D

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 03:35:37 PM »
...and we should put photos of toothless people on candy, photos of fat people on ice cream, photos of stupid people on the New York Times, etc, etc.

"Doing good ain't got no end." ---Captain Redlegs Terrell, "Outlaw Josie Wales'

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 04:09:04 PM »
Really? That's the most absurd notion I've heard in a long time. Every time I think the idiots in DC couldn't possibly come up with anything more ridiculous, they surprise me again.

I quite smoking 36 days ago after smoking for <ahem> years. No patch, no gum, no assistance at all, just a refusal to accept that I can be beaten by cigarette. The pics of what your lungs look like after smoking didn't do it, the price of cigarettes didn't do it, the outbreak of anti-smoking laws here didn't do it, being treated like a pariah by none-smokers didn't do it, the death of a close friend from lung cancer didn't do it. What did it was the fact that I finally reached a point where I was ready to quit and found a way to make it work for me - by considering it a challenge to be overcome. That isn't to say that I won't pick up a cigarette tomorrow, but for today, it's working and I'll tackle tomorrow when I role out of bed in the morning. No disgusting pictures necessary. We all have to find what works for us, which is what understanding addiction is all about. Apparently the FDA does NOT understand addiction.

And Lanius, don't move here with the notion of becoming a voting citizen. 
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
And Lanius, don't move here with the notion of becoming a voting citizen.
Why should I want to move to a nation that is in high speed decline? Maybe I'll move once it bounces off the bottom, but probably not.

36 days ago? Hah.. you can say you've quit once you have gone a year without fags..
I know of people who 'quit' dozens of times, some of these attempts lasted months or half a year.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 04:51:29 PM »
This thread immediately reminded me of Denis Leary's "No Cure for Cancer" routine.  Fast forward to 4:56.   Foul language warning.  DEFINITELY NSFW!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zAeW8z1O9E&feature=related

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 04:55:33 PM »
Why should I want to move to a nation that is in high speed decline? Maybe I'll move once it bounces off the bottom, but probably not.

It's not that bad.  Yet.

36 days ago? Hah.. you can say you've quit once you have gone a year without fags..

I've gone all 33 years of my life without those.  Of course, that word means something entirely different here.   :lol:

I know of people who 'quit' dozens of times, some of these attempts lasted months or half a year.

I have been told by many current and former smokers that it is harder to quit than any other drug.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 04:56:14 PM »
photos of stupid people on the New York Times,

Already covered:

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 06:23:05 PM »
I love the health argument.

My dad smokes about five pack a day, has since he was in is mid 20's.

He got an inneroccular melanoma. That's a type of skin cancer caused by UV rays.  :facepalm:

Smoking does have heath issues, lots of them, but they are overhyped by the anti smokers.

My Dad did try quiting, a few times e managed over a year. He never goes outside without sunglasses on, though.

Lots of things cause cancer. I'll quit smoking when I quit smoking. I didn't start because of peer pressure and knowing the health risks. I doubt i'll stop because of them.  ;/
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 07:45:04 PM »
I didn't start because of peer pressure and knowing the health risks. I doubt i'll stop because of them.

Sure, but I'll bet those photos will make you afraid to buy a pack.

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 08:01:35 PM »
I didn't start because of peer pressure and knowing the health risks.
Then why *did* you start? Was it the attractive stench, or the ability to literally burn money in your hands?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 08:28:58 PM »
 [popcorn]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 08:32:45 PM »
Then why *did* you start? Was it the attractive stench, or the ability to literally burn money in your hands?

I don't know about anybody else, but I started to smoke so I could piss off holier-than-thou assh*les like you.  I quit smoking to piss off a different cohort of assh*les.

As for your estimation of the current and future status of this country, may I remind you of Sir Winston's appraisal - we are the absolutely worst possible country in the world, with the absolutely worst possible political system -- except for all the others.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 09:02:36 PM »
Sure, but I'll bet those photos will make you afraid to buy a pack.
I don't think they will do anything except make anti-smoking activists happy (for a little while). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 09:07:59 PM »
I work at a chemical plant around a lot of blue collar hourly workers.  A lot of them smoke.  Hell, the plant we work at does not allow smoking inside the gate, yet they either go outside the gate to catch a quick smoke or use one of those electronic cigarettes while at work.  These guys really don't care what your opinion is about their smoking. 

IMO, the worst people I see around this whole argument are the rabid anti-smokers.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 09:18:25 PM »
I don't know about anybody else, but I started to smoke so I could piss off holier-than-thou assh*les like you.  I quit smoking to piss off a different cohort of assh*les.

As for your estimation of the current and future status of this country, may I remind you of Sir Winston's appraisal - we are the absolutely worst possible country in the world, with the absolutely worst possible political system -- except for all the others.

stay safe.

Best post in the history of this forum.