Author Topic: Cigarette packaging  (Read 11078 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Cigarette packaging
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 09:29:15 PM »
Then why *did* you start? Was it the attractive stench, or the ability to literally burn money in your hands?

Its a comfort smell. The only safe people in my life smoked. *shrug* some of its also an ADD thing. When I get upset and frustrated, smoking calms me down.

My dad is a heavy smoker partially because he transfered one addiction to another. I think smoking is much better then alcohol. It sure as hell won't kill him as fast.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 09:34:43 PM »
I don't know about anybody else, but I started to smoke so I could piss off holier-than-thou assh*les like you.  I quit smoking to piss off a different cohort of assh*les.

Who is that second cohort?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 10:29:55 PM »
"Why should I want to move to a nation that is in high speed decline? Maybe I'll move once it bounces off the bottom, but probably not."

If you are going to post here young man, please consider not continuing to put your ignorance out there for everyone to see.  You'll be taken much more seriously if you do...that and living maybe another 30 or 40 years and paying attention.

As for moving here, I think you'd be better served staying where you are.  It occurs to me that perhaps all you really know about America is what you read or hear from the media.  I can assure you that perspective about America is as limited and incorrect as yours appears to be.

The main reason America is the special place that it is, it's people noble and exceptional is because the best, boldest, and finest people from the rest of the world had the ambition and courage to come here and prosper because they could be free to do so.  The trouble with the rest of you is that your gene pool became rather shallow as a result.   

We may have some elected officials that have made some bad choices but as Americans we always seem to give some folks the benefit of the doubt.  That's another one of our better traits...giving a person enough rope to hang themselves.  Probably that benefit is coming to a screeching halt fairly soon.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 10:54:44 PM »
36 days ago? Hah.. you can say you've quit once you have gone a year without fags..
I know of people who 'quit' dozens of times, some of these attempts lasted months or half a year.

Apparently you missed this part:
That isn't to say that I won't pick up a cigarette tomorrow, but for today, it's working and I'll tackle tomorrow when I role out of bed in the morning.

I make no claims that I'll succeed. All I can say is that I've succeeded for 36 days. And your arguements sound an awful lot like those of someone who's doesn't really know what the hell he's talking about. Until you're speaking from personal experience rather than the experiences of people you merely know, I won't consider you an adequate judge of my status as a smoker or non-smoker. But thanks for the input!

IMO, the worst people I see around this whole argument are the rabid anti-smokers.
Yep. Completely agree! Kinda makes me wanna be just as rabid. Someone should warn them. Don't provoke the chick who just quit smoking lest she unleash her inner b*tch on your sorry *ss.

The main reason America is the special place that it is, it's people noble and exceptional is because the best, boldest, and finest people from the rest of the world had the ambition and courage to come here and prosper because they could be free to do so.  The trouble with the rest of you is that your gene pool became rather shallow as a result.
That has my vote for the best post on the forum. Buy Grampster a beverage and a box of ammo.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 12:38:50 AM »
Then why *did* you start? Was it the attractive stench, or the ability to literally burn money in your hands?

Because I enjoy it.  And I need justify myself to no man.

(Fighting VERY hard not to make a rude retort.  Armed POLITE society.  Sigh.)
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 12:39:24 AM »
I quite smoking 36 days ago after smoking for <ahem> years. No patch, no gum, no assistance at all, just a refusal to accept that I can be beaten by cigarette. The pics of what your lungs look like after smoking didn't do it, the price of cigarettes didn't do it, the outbreak of anti-smoking laws here didn't do it, being treated like a pariah by none-smokers didn't do it, the death of a close friend from lung cancer didn't do it. What did it was the fact that I finally reached a point where I was ready to quit and found a way to make it work for me - by considering it a challenge to be overcome. That isn't to say that I won't pick up a cigarette tomorrow, but for today, it's working and I'll tackle tomorrow when I role out of bed in the morning. No disgusting pictures necessary. We all have to find what works for us, which is what understanding addiction is all about. Apparently the FDA does NOT understand addiction.

Congratulations! I'm at 5 months and 20 days. Keep it up.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 12:49:54 AM »
Congratulations! I'm at 5 months and 20 days. Keep it up.

You'll notice that the time from when you get an urge to smoke and the time when you realize the urge is no longer urgent gets shorter and shorter.  Once in a while I still find myself thinking about how good a smoke would be.  Not so much an urge or desire,  but a memory.  For example, I used to really like having a smoke outside on a cold, still day.  Or outside during a good rain while I was sheltered from it by a porch or whatever.  Brings back comforting memories.  But I don't need that experience any more.  And I really love taking a shower in the morning without hacking up phlegm for the first few minutes.

It can be done.  You just have to be ready to do it.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 01:02:32 AM »
Quitting smoking is like quitting any addiction. If you don't want to, you won't succeed. In the ~42 years I smoked, I never tried to quit, because I never wanted to quit. When I decided I wanted to, I used every cheat possible: medication, pacifiers (first the Nicotrol inhalers, then wood-tipped cigars to chew), and others.

The physical addiction is supposed to be gone after a week or so. The psychological is really the hardest. I knew that the hand-to-mouth behavior was ingrained in me, so I got the Nicotrol inhalers to satisfy the need to have something to hold and to have in my mouth. They look goofy, though, so I switched to the thin, wood-tipped cigars. I cut them in half, so they're just stubs, and chew the wood tips. It still looks goofy, but it's been two years and nine months since I quit a five pack a day habit.

I'll never go back. There's just no percentage in it. But photographs would never have deterred me from smoking.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 02:40:23 AM »
Until he died of old age several years ago one of my best friends was a lomg-time heroin addict.  He taught me many of the things I know to be true about life.

As I said, George was an addict.  Now, when I met him he had not used heroin for about 25 years.  But he said that every day, at least once a day and on some days several times a day, he thought about using.  He decided that at that very moment he was not going to use, even though he was thinking about it.  He had strung together enough moments to add up to 25 years, and when he finally passed on the grand total was getting closer to 50.  But he would never have been able to go 50 years without using heroin again if he had started out intending that to be his goal.

Like George I choose not to smoke right at this moment.  I have no idea what will happen during the next moment, and cannot afford to worry about it as I'm busy dealing with this moment.  I never can remember when my last cigarette was.  All I know is that right now I have decided not to smoke right now.

12-steppers have it all wrong.  It's not one day at a time.  It's one moment at a time.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, 09:29:53 AM »
My wife had a 3 pack a day habit.  25 years ago she woke up in the morning and said to herself that she didn't want to smoke anymore.  She has never smoked again. 

Dick is right.  You gotta wanna.  It's as simple as that.  Every law, every advertisement, every caution etc etc etc about smoking or stopping smoking is nothing but some people, for whatever reason, trying to have power over you.  It is all meaningless drivel for their selfish reasons.  Has nothing to do with you other than the satisfaction that is gained by your manipulation by law or public opinion.  It is subliminal propaganda intended to take your freedom from you.

I take great pleasure in watching people puff on those water vapor thingies just because it pisses people off who think they are actually smoking tobacco.

If one wants to stop smoking, then stop.  You gotta wanna.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2011, 10:06:31 AM »
Grampster, that's why mandatory rehab for alcoholics and drug addicts don't work (my brother and BIL have been through them dozens, if not hundreds, of times). Until the addict wants to quit, there's no point in rehab.

That's also why insurance companies cover so little for rehab. The chances of rehabilitation are extremely low because only a small minority who go actually want to quit. The others in rehab are there because their families want them to quit, or the courts have ordered them into rehab. Ain't gonna work.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2011, 10:16:58 AM »
Actually, what might be more effective is to find each addict's "bottom" and put them there right away.

Every addict has a bottom. When they hit it, they decide they want to quit. For some it's losing family. For others, it's losing their jobs. Others have shallower bottoms (as I did), such as losing cars or drivers license, or whatever.

If it were possible to determine in advance what the bottom might be, maybe by asking friends and family, the bottom could be hit right away. Fire the person from his job, or take away the drivers license or car, or have the wife file for divorce.

I know it's not realistic, but it sure would save a lot of time and anguish.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2011, 11:06:14 AM »
All of this behavioral modification clap trap is about the same two things that have been around forever:  Money and power.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2011, 11:18:42 AM »
Actually, what might be more effective is to find each addict's "bottom" and put them there right away... or have the wife file for divorce.

Sometimes that isn't even enough. That was the primary reason for my divorce and to my knowledge it hasn't had an impact on his lifestyle habits/choices. Of course, that also demonstrates that losing me didn't put him "on the bottom" which also confirms other suspicions I had about the marriage, but that's neither here nor there. Determining someone's "bottom" is difficult when looking in from outside. How low will they allow themselves to sink? Personally, I won't let myself go too low. Someone else might have a much higher threshold for humiliation, degradation, desperation than I do. Then there's the factor of whether or not they have bootstraps or any other means of pulling themselves up.

Addicts are like teenagers in some ways. Sometimes you have to just step back and let them make their mistakes, no matter how desparately you may want to "fix" it for them - because you simply can't and trying to only ensures that they won't learn the necessary skills to fix it themselves.

On a side note, congrats Vodka7 and thanks for the encouragement! Doggy Daddy - yes, the time between urges is longer, the urges themselves shorter. But sometimes it hits me like a brick to the forehead and it's all I can do not to go directly to the nearest gas station and buy a pack. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, it just comes from out of nowhere. So far I've resisted and that's all that matters. Good luck to all of us!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2011, 11:48:22 AM »
But sometimes it hits me like a brick to the forehead and it's all I can do not to go directly to the nearest gas station and buy a pack.

Yep, like a brick.  But from what you've said, it sounds like that brick will work more FOR you than AGAINST you.  Apparently you don't like to be told what to do.  That's good.  Don't let the brick try to tell you squat!  :lol:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2011, 12:17:41 PM »
My brother was like that a bit with tobacco chew/dip.  He had been trying to quit the stuff for a few years and would go several weeks.  Then he would be out at 1 AM and someone he knew would offer him a dip.  Then he would go another several weeks before trying to quit again.  The last time, I happened to be there and saw him get offered the dip and ran over and bear hugged him.  He didn't take it.  It seemed pretty minor at the time, just having fun, but he later said that was the last time he was really tempted.  Of course, he still does the nicotine gum, but any issues with that are pretty minor by comparison. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2011, 03:27:21 PM »
Apparently having a cigar once or twice a year jacks your life insurance rates up to double non-smokers. Ask me how I know... g-d m-fing insurance companies...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2011, 03:34:48 PM »
Apparently having a cigar once or twice a year jacks your life insurance rates up to double non-smokers. Ask me how I know... g-d m-fing insurance companies...

How did they know?  ???

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2011, 03:36:24 PM »
They test for it.

Chris

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2011, 03:47:30 PM »
They test for it.

Chris

They asked, I answered honestly.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2011, 03:58:55 PM »
They asked, I answered honestly.

That too, but one of the tests I was subjected to was a urine test for nicotine.

Chris

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »
That too, but one of the tests I was subjected to was a urine test for nicotine.

Chris

I do a blood test for it.

Thing is, the test we do here can only detect back about 3 days.  That's why I was wondering why a cigar or two a year would have been a problem for testing.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
I imagine they may not believe it is only one or two a year.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
I imagine they may not believe it is only one or two a year.

Yeah, I think it's a blanket "If he admits to smoking at all he must be a lying addict" kinda policy.  :mad:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2011, 06:46:28 PM »
Yeah, I think it's a blanket "If he admits to smoking at all he must be a lying addict" kinda policy.  :mad:

Folks like discriminating.  Fat folks and smokers are still ok to go after.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.