Author Topic: Cigarette packaging  (Read 11075 times)

zahc

• friend
Re: Cigarette packaging
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2011, 07:07:24 PM »
Once in a while I still find myself thinking about how good a smoke would be.  Not so much an urge or desire,  but a memory.  For example, I used to really like having a smoke outside on a cold, still day.  Or outside during a good rain while I was sheltered from it by a porch or whatever.

The thing is, I would still smoke during times like that, but as a nonhabitual smoker, I never have any cigarettes around when the urge hits. It's a shame they don't 'keep'. Can you keep cigarette tobacco around like you do cigars in humidors? If so I could roll them on demand.

I smoke a couple cigars a year but I haven't got busted yet. I didn't know you could detect nicotine in blood tests. I'll have to keep that in mind.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2011, 08:34:27 PM »
Last cigarette 15 March 2000.  The maintenance manager and I quit at the same time.  We used some pill that made reduced the urge and made cigarettes taste like crap.

I ate a lot of carrot and celery sticks.

I have a cigar every now and again but don't have any desire to take it up again.  About once every 3-6 months I'll have the "A cigarette would be good now." moment, but they are very few and far between.

Keep it up DD and MrsSmith, it gets easier as each day goes by.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2011, 08:38:03 PM »
Last cigarette 15 March 2000.  The maintenance manager and I quit at the same time.  We used some pill that made reduced the urge and made cigarettes taste like crap.

I used the patch, which gave me some very interesting and vivid dreams.  I really miss those dreams.  I wonder if I could go back on the patch just for recreational purposes...  >:D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2011, 09:33:04 PM »
I used the patch, which gave me some very interesting and vivid dreams.  I really miss those dreams.  I wonder if I could go back on the patch just for recreational purposes...  >:D

DD

Don't say that too loud, or nicotine replacements will be the next thing the DEA goes after.  ;/

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2011, 09:34:27 PM »
I'll be honest and say I hate smoking. Part of the reason is that all it takes is a slight wiff of it to give me chest pains, shortness of breath and a lovely tingling in my left arm. The other part is that it IS bad for my health and while it's not as bad as say an unshielded radiation source it is unhealthy and I don't want to be exposed to it against my will by opening a window or walking to the grocery store.

That said, most smokers know that smoking kills you, they generally don't care.
Look, tiny text!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2011, 09:51:30 PM »
I used the patch,

I tried the patch, but it tasted like burning plastic and wouldn't stay lit.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2011, 10:12:35 PM »

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2011, 11:01:38 PM »

Duh. You're not supposed to smoke a patch. Patches are for chewing.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2011, 11:54:57 PM »
Duh. You're not supposed to smoke a patch. Patches are for chewing.

:facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_LQ4_MhDu4
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2011, 12:16:19 AM »
I've not been hasseled over admitting a 1-2 cigar/year tobacco use when applying for life insurance.  They're far more uptight about my LDL/HDL ratio.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2011, 01:09:10 AM »
I've not been hasseled over admitting a 1-2 cigar/year tobacco use when applying for life insurance.  They're far more uptight about my LDL/HDL ratio.

Interesting. Everything else was fine, maybe they just needed an excuse to jack the rates up.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2011, 01:51:58 AM »
Who are you using to find the life insurance?  I've had good luck with Zander (one of Dave Ramsey's recommended companies).  Only issue is that they don't deal that much with pilots (probably going to start on my PPL in a year or so) so the price you'd pay for aviation coverage is beyond absurd.  Far better to go with AOPA or a life insurance company/broker that specializes with pilots.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2011, 11:11:34 AM »
One of the reasons it is smart to buy life insurance when you are very young is after the 2 year contestable period, the only way the policy can be cancelled is if you don't pay the premium.  Some policies have a feature that will pay the premium as well.  Other policy features have guaranteed options to purchase more at certain ages or events such as marriage or birth of a child regardless of health or occupation. 

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2011, 12:11:54 AM »
The way term life insurance rates are going it's often cheaper to replace your insurance every few years as the rates keep dropping.  At least until you get old enough that the rate increase due to your age outstrips the drop in overall rates.  I'm getting $50k more than what I had gotten 4 years ago for $80/year less in premiums.  Never mind inflation or that I'm 4 years older.  In another year or two, if I keep up on the bike riding and get my weight back down under 185, and get my LDL/HDL ratio where they like it I'll be able to chop $150-200 off that annual premium again.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2011, 12:27:41 AM »

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »
A product's packaging should primarily be designed to sell the product, not to dissuade people from buying it.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2011, 01:42:36 AM »
Why the face palm?

Because of:
Patches are for chewing.
What else?   ???
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2011, 06:21:42 PM »
Apparently you don't like to be told what to do.

Whatever gave you that idea?  =D

Fell off the wagon a bit this weekend and had a couple drags at a party Saturday night, but haven't given it another thought since then. I'm not counting that against myself. And I don't care what if anyone says otherwise so don't bother arguing with me about it.

Oh, and the guys at the liquor store had some of those packs with the pictures on them. Marlboro menthols, empty not new, so I don't know where they got them. But the pic on the one I saw was positively disgusting. Showed a burned foot - I mean all over burned, looked like a piece of human charcoal. Can't fathom how that pertains to cigarette smoking. If I were intent on smoking though, I'd just dump them into a plastic case and toss the wrapper. Problem solved.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2011, 06:37:14 PM »
Because of:What else?   ???

Doggy Daddy, I was joking. I guess I really need a more obvious sense of humor.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2011, 01:40:38 PM »
Oh, okay.  I was trying to be polite, since I thought you might have been just having a senior moment.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2011, 01:45:03 PM »
Oh, okay.  I was trying to be polite, since I thought you might have been just having a senior moment.

DD

I'm sorry, dick.... But I laughed...
  :angel:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »
I'm sorry, dick.... But I laughed...

So did I. Then I forgot what I was laughing about. ;)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2011, 12:46:31 AM »
[bow]  =D [/bow]
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2011, 02:14:27 AM »
I wonder how these graphics will effect new smokers.  Will it make the rebellious teens want to smoke more or less?  I would think that the target audience is not fully-addicted smokers here.  As you have all pointed out and with my own experience as a former pack-a-day smoker, these graphics are going to do nothing to people who are addicted.  In other words, I hope they are intentionally targeting the potential smokers who will never start if they see this imagery, otherwise this is a giant waste of money. 

I generally don't have a problem with smokers, but damnit I really hate smelling that crap.  I quit smoking August 11, 2004, because of a 3 day hangover that had me throwing up every time I would try to smoke.  That made it pretty easy actually (in relative terms, it was still ridiculously hard) as I knew that I never wanted to smoke again.  Nor have I even cheated once, or thought seriously about smoking.  However, since then, the smell of cigarette smoke gives me horrible headaches.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford