Author Topic: girl born without arms/legs want to be a Cheerleader.  (Read 14843 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
girl born without arms/legs want to be a Cheerleader.
« on: July 14, 2011, 07:27:15 PM »
http://www.omaha.com/article/20110713/NEWS01/707139920#cheerleading-case-stirs-up-dispute

I'm all for it, it seems to me all you need is school/team spirit, I'm sure they could figure out routines for her. I hope she prevails.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: girl born without arms/legs want to be a Cheerleader.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 07:40:41 PM »
She can't do the basic activities she's trying out for, and suing the school for pointing that out. Sad.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 07:49:45 PM »
Bloody morons.

Cheerleading is a sport. Making "reasonable accommodations" so that someone who can't do any of the things that cheerleaders do can "make the squad" is no different from changing the rules of football or basketball so a person with no arms or legs can play.

Good grief, I've been an advocate for accessibility issues for more than 30 years, and even I know this is idiotic. What they'll end up doing is getting the cheerleading squad disbanded. No cheerleaders = no discrimination.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 07:59:13 PM »
Our school had a cheerleader with... Cant remember what its called but it causes bones to malform. She could walk with crutchs, but also used a wheelchair.

Our cheerleaders had trophies before the football team ever won a game.

Other cheer teams have girls with disabilities and compete and win.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 08:02:23 PM »
It really depends on if she can meet the requirements for being a high-school cheerleader....

1. Can she use flirtation and sexual innuendo to have the nerds do her Science homework?

2. Can she max out all her parents' credit cards in one shopping trip?

3. Can she get drunk and flash the entire football team?

4. Can she get pregnant after a one-night stand with the star running back?

5. Can she have Daddy bail her out of all the trouble she gets in?

....if she can meet the cheerleading requirements, then the school should let her be a cheerleader....

....needless to say, I didn't care much for cheerleaders while in high school......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 08:11:49 PM »
Mrs. fistful tried out for cheer-leading. Didn't make the cut. Should have sued, I guess.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 08:15:59 PM »
Bloody morons.

Cheerleading is a sport. Making "reasonable accommodations" so that someone who can't do any of the things that cheerleaders do can "make the squad" is no different from changing the rules of football or basketball so a person with no arms or legs can play.

Good grief, I've been an advocate for accessibility issues for more than 30 years, and even I know this is idiotic. What they'll end up doing is getting the cheerleading squad disbanded. No cheerleaders = no discrimination.

+1

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 08:45:46 PM »
I don't get the idea that she really wants to sue, just be allowed to participate to the best of her abilities. She's in high school, not trying out for the Dallas Cheerleader squad. High schools should make accommodations for the disabled. 
Her sister was a cheer leader and helped her make some routines, I think her story would inspire other disabled teens to follow their dreams.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 09:12:32 PM »
Well, I guess I know who they'll toss into the air and catch...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 09:25:39 PM »

:D :D :D (Although I feel guilty laughing).

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 09:50:26 PM »
Bloody morons.

+eleventydozen, here.

It's just a short step to basketball teams being forced to bring on short people.  Or one-armed baseball players.

Can you imagine the varsity tennis team being compelled to allow a kid with cerebral palsy on?

This also threatens to undermine the concept of VARSITY sports.  There are try-outs. 

I never made the cut for varsity basketball.  I tried my hardest, but didn't cut it.  Do you know how absolutely livid I'd be if some kid with cerebral palsy, or in a wheelchair, or one-handed, got a spot on the VARSITY team, and I didn't?  Especially if I smoked him on the court every single day during try-outs?

Cheer in my high school was a varsity sport.  There was also a JV cheer team, too, just like every other sport had a JV team.  There were try-outs for the JV teams, just like varsity.

Can you imagine an aspiring athlete with real skill/potential getting bumped so someone with a disability can feel good about themselves?

High school sports are the last bastion of competition in public schools.  They aren't part of the guidance counselor's group-hug sessions.

No one says these kids can't play ball or cheer.  They can go do it extra-curricularly, at a private organization outside of school.  YMCA, dance studios, whatever.

Stay out of Varsity try-outs.  Seriously.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 10:12:50 PM »
It's just a short step to basketball teams being forced to bring on short people.  Or one-armed baseball players.
Wasn't there a one-armed pitcher for a while?

As for basketball teams being forced to bring someone on . . . the NBA should be forced to hire more Caucasians and Orientals, both of whom are seriously under represented based on their prevalence in the population at large.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 10:22:32 PM »
It really depends on if she can meet the requirements for being a high-school cheerleader....

1. Can she use flirtation and sexual innuendo to have the nerds do her Science homework?

2. Can she max out all her parents' credit cards in one shopping trip?

3. Can she get drunk and flash the entire football team?

4. Can she get pregnant after a one-night stand with the star running back?

5. Can she have Daddy bail her out of all the trouble she gets in?

....if she can meet the cheerleading requirements, then the school should let her be a cheerleader....

....needless to say, I didn't care much for cheerleaders while in high school......

You just described the girl's lacrosse team in my high school.  The cheerleaders were the awkward girls who didn't do sports.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 10:30:32 PM »
You just described the girl's lacrosse team in my high school.  The cheerleaders were the awkward girls who didn't do sports.
Not all cheerleaders are hot . . . in Iowa, word is they use natural grass on the athletic fields so the cheerleaders can graze . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 12:18:34 AM »

Where am I going in this handbasket, and why is it getting so hot?  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 01:02:22 AM »
Wasn't there a one-armed pitcher for a while?

As for basketball teams being forced to bring someone on . . . the NBA should be forced to hire more Caucasians and Orientals, both of whom are seriously under represented based on their prevalence in the population at large.  >:D

Sure, but he actually had a heater of a fastball, and could get his glove back on his throwing arm pretty quickly.  He EARNED his position on the team as a pitcher.  Not sure if they used a DH for him or not, or if he was a relief pitcher only and didn't bat.  Regardless... he EARNED it.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 01:20:24 AM »
My quip upon reading the story on facebook was
at last, someone I could play dodge ball with

Cheer leading isn't a sport, it can be a very challenging athletic activity, but I see no harm in allowing this nice young lady to assist in energizing the crowd.

What would be the harm in having one routine she could participate in? put streamers on her chair? give her a bullhorn?

The main purpose of cheerleading is leading cheers not dance routines.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 04:08:45 AM »
My quip upon reading the story on facebook was
Cheer leading isn't a sport, it can be a very challenging athletic activity, but I see no harm in allowing this nice young lady to assist in energizing the crowd.

What would be the harm in having one routine she could participate in? put streamers on her chair? give her a bullhorn?

The main purpose of cheerleading is leading cheers not dance routines.

Actually, cheerleading is as highly commercialized and competitive as any other "mainstream" sport.  Folks have kidnapped and killed in their attempts to get their little darlings on the squad, or to keep some other hussy/slut from getting picked.

Lately the all sports/all the time networks have moved the cheerleading competitionsfrom the middle of the night to mid-morning, opening up viewership to a whole new group of perverts - or so I'm told.

The young lady is to be commended for her enthusiasm, and the cheerleading squad might be persuaded to enlist her as a mascot or otherwise include her in some of their activities, but this "demanding" a spot on the team because she is handicapped is IMHO the worst sort of condesention possible and her parents ought to be horsewhipped for it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 08:19:04 AM »
i think it is admirable that the parents want their child to believe she can achieve anthing that she wants to be.   (now staple thos pom-poms on her forhead dammit!)
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 10:42:31 AM »
FTR:

Cheerleading, figure skating, and most gymnastics have tremendous athletic components, but are "sports" only in the way a dance competition could be considered "sport."

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 10:44:01 AM »
Not all cheerleaders are hot . . . in Iowa, word is they use natural grass on the athletic fields so the cheerleaders can graze . . .

I always thought Iowa girls were corn fed, guess i was wrong.
Look, tiny text!

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 10:53:07 AM »
Gee, alot of these posts sound like the company I used to work for.  Many times I put in for a new job and was told, without witnesses of course, that I did not fit the company profile for someone in that position.  I was white, old, fat, and the wrong sex........chris3

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 10:58:35 AM »
FTR:

Cheerleading, figure skating, and most gymnastics have tremendous athletic components, but are "sports" only in the way a dance competition could be considered "sport."

They are a performance. It takes talent and significant athletic ability to do those things (I would add the martial arts "forms" competitions to that list), but a sport has a winner judged by objectively measureable outcomes like time to complete, scoring points, distance, etc.. (in addition to requiring talent and athletic ability.)

So: track and field- takes a lot of ability and talent, measurable outcomes. (Did you cross the line before the other runner? Winner!)- sport
Cheerleading, gymnastics, diving, et al.- takes a lot of ability and talent, no measurable outcome (Judge 6 gives you a 5.7, in his opinion. ) - not a sport
Chess, Bowling, Curling, et al.- measureable outcome, takes talent (and ability) but not athletic ability. Not a sport.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
They are a performance. It takes talent and significant athletic ability to do those things (I would add the martial arts "forms" competitions to that list), but a sport has a winner judged by objectively measureable outcomes like time to complete, scoring points, distance, etc.. (in addition to requiring talent and athletic ability.)

So: track and field- takes a lot of ability and talent, measurable outcomes. (Did you cross the line before the other runner? Winner!)- sport
Cheerleading, gymnastics, diving, et al.- takes a lot of ability and talent, no measurable outcome (Judge 6 gives you a 5.7, in his opinion. ) - not a sport
Chess, Bowling, Curling, et al.- measureable outcome, takes talent (and ability) but not athletic ability. Not a sport.

I think there is more objectivity than you realize in the scoring of things like gymnastics and diving, but I do agree with you on the fact that there is some subjective component
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 11:15:15 AM »

This ^^^.

I used to laugh at Joe Weider when he'd write in favor of making bodybuilding an Olympic competition.  Then, I thought about all the subjective non-sports that are allowed and I figured it was as "sporty" as many of the extant competitions.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton