Author Topic: Diseases that have now become trendy  (Read 18899 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Diseases that have now become trendy
« on: August 30, 2011, 10:53:04 PM »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: Diseases that have now become trendy
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:04:20 PM »
What, no mention of ADD/ADHD? ???
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:10:03 PM »
So not entirely like the 19th century?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 11:12:03 PM »
I laughed. I cried. I hurled.

Does that make me bipolar manic depressive with food sensitivities?   [popcorn]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 11:12:30 PM »
QFT:
Asperger's syndrome is basically a type of autism that's usually not so severe as to prevent a person from functioning independently. It's still a lifelong challenge for people who have it, and their families, but it's also a wonderful opportunity for lazy people with bad social skills to excuse themselves.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 01:14:32 AM »
I'm kinda surprised Fibro-Myalgia (sp??) didn't make that list.  Lots of people claim to suffer from that.  My SWAG is that maybe 10% really do have something wrong with them.  The rest want an excuse to not work/socialize/etc, or just want something to be "special" about themselves.  We had a neighbor in Mesa, AZ that we called "fibro-myalgia lady" becuase that was literally the first thing about herself that she told you.

FTR, most of my wife's family (maternal side) have Celiacs, and my SIL is bi-polar (and schizophrenic).  My sister has accused me of having Aspergers, though never to my face (or maybe I just didn't "get it"  ;)).  She might be a Ph.D psychologist, but I'd raise the BS flag on that one.

Anyway, I don't mind the "gluten intolerance" as a trendy disease one little bit.  It's driven demand for GF foods to such heights that the quality has gone up massivly in the last 10 years, and prices have come down at least a bit.  Nowadays I don't mind eating GF most of the time, and in a few limited cases actually prefer it over regular wheat based food.  When we first got married you couldn't have made me touch GF anything with a 10' pole.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 01:24:31 AM »
My sister dated a guy who had a no-BS, clinically-diagnosed case of bipolar disorder.  He had trouble controlling it at times, and it was what eventually ended their relationship. Definitely not something I'd WANT to claim to have.

Same thing with Lyme disease.  That one, along with hantavirus, is one of the few diseases that scares the crap out of me (probably because I watched a boatload of those medical documentaries they had on the Discovery Chanel as a young kid, and they replayed the ones about hantavirus and Lyme disease a lot).

I can almost see most of the other ones, but it seems kind of silly to me. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 01:30:59 AM »
I'm kinda surprised Fibro-Myalgia (sp??) didn't make that list.  Lots of people claim to suffer from that.  My SWAG is that maybe 10% really do have something wrong with them.  The rest want an excuse to not work/socialize/etc, or just want something to be "special" about themselves.  We had a neighbor in Mesa, AZ that we called "fibro-myalgia lady" becuase that was literally the first thing about herself that she told you.

FTR, most of my wife's family (maternal side) have Celiacs, and my SIL is bi-polar (and schizophrenic).  My sister has accused me of having Aspergers, though never to my face (or maybe I just didn't "get it"  ;)).  She might be a Ph.D psychologist, but I'd raise the BS flag on that one.

Anyway, I don't mind the "gluten intolerance" as a trendy disease one little bit.  It's driven demand for GF foods to such heights that the quality has gone up massivly in the last 10 years, and prices have come down at least a bit.  Nowadays I don't mind eating GF most of the time, and in a few limited cases actually prefer it over regular wheat based food.  When we first got married you couldn't have made me touch GF anything with a 10' pole.

You lived next to my Mom?!?!

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 01:48:21 AM »

I just bought a 5 gallon bucket of "gluten on the hoof" (hard red winter wheat) from a local wheat farmer I know.
Now I just need to find the time to mill some flour and get some baking done.

I did make a small batch of cream of wheat to give it a quality check, good stuff.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 02:07:02 AM »
My MIL had shingles last year. I thought that was a 19th century affliction. Maybe it's coming back in style.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 02:44:37 AM »
My MIL had shingles last year. I thought that was a 19th century affliction. Maybe it's coming back in style.

It's from the same bug as chickenpox.  Herpes varicella, IIRC.  Lots of older folks get shingles.  I'd guess its that their immunity to chickenpox waned, or the virus wakes back up and that's how the body reacts to it.  Or something.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 02:47:38 AM »
You lived next to my Mom?!?!

Or one very similar.  Do you have a brother that's probably 20-ish by now with a questionable diagnosis of Aspergers?  Yep, they claimed their son had that too.  Never interacted with that kid enough to know for sure, but from what I observed I'm skeptical of the diagnosis.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 06:30:30 AM »
It's really easy to tell if a fibro sufferer truly has it.

Do they still work, look for work, etc, with "fibro" only being something that they mention hen they happen to be moving a little slower? Might be genuine.

Are they unemployed, collecting disability, and mention fibro every time they're supposed to do something? Then their diagnosis might be faulty...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 06:36:11 AM »
I had that in High School. Still have some scars. That stuff really sucks.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 07:51:39 AM »
Also surprised that this didn't make the list. Very popular "diagnosis" over here among neo-hippies...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 08:56:42 AM »
Same thing with Lyme disease.  That one, along with hantavirus, is one of the few diseases that scares the crap out of me (probably because I watched a boatload of those medical documentaries they had on the Discovery Chanel as a young kid, and they replayed the ones about hantavirus and Lyme disease a lot).

Yep, definately nothing to screw around with.
The article was way off on this one. My dad has had it twice (he goes trout fishing every day that the season is open), neither time did he test positive for it, but he had other hard to ignore symptoms- bullseye rash, knee swollen to the size of a canteloupe.

Fibro- IMHO that should have been int he Lymes slot. My sister who's a nurse says that most of the Fibro people she sees are full of BS.

Gluten- I'm entirely sick of hearing about it. My wife's sister is on some sort of anit-gluten kick and is trying to get my wife on board. Its obnoxious, its annoying, and most of it probably comes from advice from the orca show.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 09:59:42 AM »
So, I guess that bubonic plague isn't cool anymore?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 10:07:09 AM »
"Peanut allergy" was trendy in the late 90's up thru Sept 11, 2001.  Mothers diagnosing their kids with it so they'd be "special", or maybe just so the moms would have something to worry about.  Then it abruptly disappeared -- except for the few people who really are allergic to peanuts, but they never really caused any trouble (carried some Benadryl and an Epi-Pen and asked people not to feed them peanut butter.)
"It's good, though..."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 10:35:19 AM »
peanut allergy is still pretty popular around here
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 10:43:30 AM »
"Peanut allergy" was trendy in the late 90's up thru Sept 11, 2001.  Mothers diagnosing their kids with it so they'd be "special", or maybe just so the moms would have something to worry about.  Then it abruptly disappeared -- except for the few people who really are allergic to peanuts, but they never really caused any trouble (carried some Benadryl and an Epi-Pen and asked people not to feed them peanut butter.)

I find that one to be extremely annoying and its still pretty common. My daughter wasn't allowed to have peanut butter sandwiches in her lunch because one of the kids in her class might have had a peanut allergy.  I have a niece whose parents 'diagnosed' her with peanut allergy, they finally got her tested and found out that she wasn't.

Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 10:52:16 AM »
I find that one to be extremely annoying and its still pretty common. My daughter wasn't allowed to have peanut butter sandwiches in her lunch because one of the kids in her class might have had a peanut allergy.  I have a niece whose parents 'diagnosed' her with peanut allergy, they finally got her tested and found out that she wasn't.

Maybe it's because I'm not a parent but I fail to see how some other kid's allergy means your kid can't have PB.  The other kid knows he's allergic right?  He's been told not to eat peanuts right?  What is he a suicidal, kleptomanical, allergic kid that creeps around during recess looking through other's lunch boxes for the forbidden nut?

One of my classmates in elementary school was diabetic.  She knew that eating candy might kill her, so she didn't eat candy.  It was pretty simple.  On Valentines day, her mother dropped off some sugar-free candy so she could eat with the rest of us.  How is this so hard?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 10:58:12 AM »
Maybe it's because I'm not a parent but I fail to see how some other kid's allergy means your kid can't have PB. 
Because it allows a 30-something woman to exert control over you, and that makes her feel better about herself.
The other kid knows he's allergic right?  He's been told not to eat peanuts right?  What is he a suicidal, kleptomanical, allergic kid that creeps around during recess looking through other's lunch boxes for the forbidden nut?
One of the boys my daughter went to school with was supposedly allergic to peanuts.  He stole Nutter Butters from the other kids lunches.  (he wasn't the one that was sick, it was his mother who was sick in the head)
"It's good, though..."

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 10:59:30 AM »
My mother was/is big on the chemical sensitivity thing. Had a great job with the VA (retained her former rank) and after a year, got out on medical. Reason? Allergic to toner cartridges in printers/copiers. Yep. How f'ed up is that? Also claims allergies to formaldahyde (sp), car exhaust, all soaps and detergents, most foods, most medications, household cleaners, and pretty much anything else you can conceive. Oh, and let's not forget me. Allergic to me as well and has been since I was a kid. It used to amuse me to give her a rash.

I have zero patience with those who fabricate or exagerate illnesses or health issues of any kind. If you have a health issue, get treatment or shut the hell up about it.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 11:18:17 AM »
Or one very similar.  Do you have a brother that's probably 20-ish by now with a questionable diagnosis of Aspergers?  Yep, they claimed their son had that too.  Never interacted with that kid enough to know for sure, but from what I observed I'm skeptical of the diagnosis.

Ah, no I'm the youngest at 28 and I didn't get diagnosed with the crazies until the Marines.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 11:51:52 AM »
Maybe it's because I'm not a parent but I fail to see how some other kid's allergy means your kid can't have PB.  The other kid knows he's allergic right?  He's been told not to eat peanuts right?  What is he a suicidal, kleptomanical, allergic kid that creeps around during recess looking through other's lunch boxes for the forbidden nut?

The fear is the kid eating the peanutbutter sandwich will get some on their shirt/hands/face/hair/etc and inadvertently expose the special child to peanuts.  ;/

When I was a kid, peanut allergies were non-existant, I still think they still are in reality.

Barack Obama