Author Topic: Diseases that have now become trendy  (Read 18897 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Diseases that have now become trendy
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2011, 07:53:07 PM »
I thought that was just normal for women?    :laugh:

this!!!^^^^^  god yes
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2011, 11:01:16 PM »
People have figured out the claiming "i have a DESEASE!" gets them away with a whole slew of behaviors that would otherwise be unacceptable.

Been there, done that.

If I had to guess, and armchair psycholgize, it's a way of exerting control on the world around them.  The social world around them (what remains of it that isn't driven away) revolves around them and their needs and limitations.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2011, 10:30:10 AM »
the reason schools go apeshit over peanut allergies is that some cases walking into a room contaminated with peanuts causes the one with the allergy to go into shock. from where i'm sitting that means the kids should in in "no-penuts school", not making 500+ kids suffer. same as getting rid of the handicapped classes*. the ones hurt hte most are the kids that needed 'em. mainly because there's no way in hell there going to catch every peanut in a normal school, and the kid is going to end in the ER/die. =|

*something that seemed popular back in the 80's, might have just been the one school. [popcorn]

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2011, 12:58:03 PM »
I'm 57 years old,
my back, hips, legs, and knees hurt,
and I'm tired all the time.

Is there a trendy name for that  ???

:P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2011, 01:07:47 PM »
I'm 57 years old,
my back, hips, legs, and knees hurt,
and I'm tired all the time.

Is there a trendy name for that  ???

:P

Ah, never mind.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2011, 01:08:40 PM »
OFS ;)

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2011, 04:25:29 PM »
Thanks Sanglant. That's what I was going to say. But hard to overcome all that "respect your elders" stuff...

>:D
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2011, 06:01:44 PM »
Thanks Sanglant. That's what I was going to say. But hard to overcome all that "respect your elders" stuff...

That's right, all you young whippersnappers!  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2011, 09:46:07 PM »

heh, i don't worry about it. being that i have it already. ;)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2011, 12:10:27 AM »
I'm apparently allergic to coffee.  So I don't drink it.  Have been accidentally poisoned with it, with humorous results.  Ah, AD might recognize the term "SLUDGEM".   Yea, it sucks.  Oddly, smoking helps.  Nicotine must do something weird with acetylcholine receptors? 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2011, 02:21:25 AM »
I'm apparently allergic to coffee.  So I don't drink it.  Have been accidentally poisoned with it, with humorous results.  Ah, AD might recognize the term "SLUDGEM".   Yea, it sucks.  Oddly, smoking helps.  Nicotine must do something weird with acetylcholine receptors? 

Well, it activates the nicotinic receptors, which is, for all intents and purposes, one of the receptors that acetylcholine targets.

So yeah, it does.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2011, 09:59:30 AM »
I'm apparently allergic to coffee.  So I don't drink it.  Have been accidentally poisoned with it, with humorous results.  Ah, AD might recognize the term "SLUDGEM".   Yea, it sucks.  Oddly, smoking helps.  Nicotine must do something weird with acetylcholine receptors?  

Interesting
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 12:22:30 AM by CNYCacher »
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2011, 12:12:43 AM »
Because it allows a 30-something woman to exert control over you, and that makes her feel better about herself.One of the boys my daughter went to school with was supposedly allergic to peanuts.  He stole Nutter Butters from the other kids lunches.  (he wasn't the one that was sick, it was his mother who was sick in the head)

A parent of a boy in my daughter's class wouldn't let him eat anything that wasn't made by her.  If it was another student's turn to bring class snack, he couldn't eat it, always brought his own.  Met the mom once during parent/teacher conferences....had to feel sorry for the kiddo.  Mom was, well, overprotective seems a little too gentle of a word to describe her.
There is something relaxing in working with sharp pointy things.

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2011, 01:59:27 PM »
the reason schools go ape*expletive deleted* over peanut allergies is that some cases walking into a room contaminated with peanuts causes the one with the allergy to go into shock. from where i'm sitting that means the kids should in in "no-penuts school", not making 500+ kids suffer.

How's the sitting in bizarro-land?

Cry freedom and let slip the peanut butter of doom!
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2011, 02:37:01 PM »
Breathing the peanut protein - Reaction usually occurs in the nose, and eyes.
never said it was common, which is why schools shouldn't be trying to remove peanuts. :facepalm:

Iain

• friend
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2011, 02:53:33 PM »
And what's the alternative where there is a kid with a known, severe peanut allergy? Aside from segregating him/her in some 'special school'.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2011, 02:58:34 PM »
exactly, the only way to keep them away from peanuts. why should the rest of the normal school kids have to deal with trying to eliminate something as common as peanuts? not like there going to let the kid carry his on epi, and if a teacher uses one on 'em that's going to be a lawsuit. [tinfoil]

Iain

• friend
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2011, 03:04:53 PM »
Is it extremely difficult not to bring peanuts to school? No peanut butter sandwiches, no Snickers, no Reese's Pieces. Sounds really complicated and very infringing on PB+J-based rights. Best bus the 'abnormal' kid half-way across the state.

sanglant

• friend

Iain

• friend
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2011, 03:27:16 PM »
And with awareness of the potentially, um, fatal consequences, you really think canteen suppliers aren't geared up for it? Or that other parents really feel that put out by it? Especially when everything that is made in a factory that has ever had one single nut in it is labeled as such?

A peanut-free school seems relatively easy to maintain, aside from the odd accidental slip-up, thoughtlessness and of course utter lack of consideration for others. So actually not that easy, but still the right thing to do.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2011, 04:01:52 PM »
oh and, it wouldn't require busing, i know someone that can't go to the school so they're sending a teacher home to teach her. it wouldn't be any harder to make the school safe for her then the peanut allergy suffers.

as to how hard it is, very. it means no cooking with peanuts in anything you're going to cook food to send to school even for you're own kid/s. no peanuts in anything going to be used to carry food/anything else to school. no eating peanuts in the cloths you're wearing to school. etc., and remember we're not talking about someone that gets a rash, and that's the end of it.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2011, 01:38:03 AM »
Nothing like turning an allergy into a crippling segregation. "Oh, your body over reacts to certain chemicals? Better not leave the house then freak, you'll inconvenience all the normals."
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2011, 01:29:59 PM »
A peanut-free school seems relatively easy to maintain

ROFL

At the VERY least it means zero outside food.  No snacks, no birthday party treats, no kids allowed to bring their lunch.  All snacks and lunches must be provided by the school and in a strictly-controlled way.

Of course, this assumes that we really are talking about the VERY VERY rare case that a child actually does have a dangerous peanut allergy.  The VAST majority of people who claim (or whose parents claim) they have a dangerous peanut allergy do not.

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »
Nothing like turning an allergy into a crippling segregation. "Oh, your body over reacts to certain chemicals? Better not leave the house then freak, you'll inconvenience all the normals."
where did that come from? my goddaughter gets out plenty, just can't go to school. =| and no it's not peanuts.