Author Topic: I bought an AR  (Read 10770 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: I bought an AR
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 10:01:43 AM »
Here's $.32/round. (not counting shipping of course)

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/1000-rds-pmc-556x45-55-gr-fmj-ammo.aspx?a=981781

More out there, look up a search on Ammoengine, sniff around Weidners too.

All in all, you did well, the M&P is pretty well regarded. What S&W didn't make on it, they sourced from other decent names in the AR game.

If you add this http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/couponcentral.aspx  to your ammo purchase you can take $10 off that purchase.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 10:18:17 AM »
I take that to be a given anytime one of us purchases a new gun and it goes without saying.
None of us had any real NEED for those flare guns we all rushed out to order. I don't really NEED that pink shotgun. Ben doesn't NEED 20 different 1911s. I have a whole bunch of things on my wishlist that I want but would have a hard time justifying if I had to give a reason for them.
I also think ARs are like little black dresses. Everybody ought to have at least one. They go with everything.

Actually, he was saying that you should buy guns you LIKE and WANT. But then, any critique of Chris I fully support, since he is a stinky-head and totally deserves it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2012, 10:33:26 AM »
Buying stuff doesn't quash anything. 
I won't count on any grandfathering next time around.  I think they learned how well that worked with the AWB.

Grandfathering has been a loop-hole in all manner of regulation, and has already been used for anti-AR legislation. We can't count on grandfathering, but buying an AR isn't "counting on grandfathering," it's taking a precaution that has proven to be useful in the past.

I don't own any ARs (don't really like them), but when more people have a thing, that thing becomes politically and practically more difficult to prohibit, so zahc is right. 

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2012, 11:10:17 AM »
Actually, he was saying that you should buy guns you LIKE and WANT.
Exactly.  The idea that you should buy something you have no interest in "just because" is foolish IMO given the amount of money we're talking about. 

But then, any critique of Chris I fully support, since he is a stinky-head and totally deserves it.
This too.

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2012, 11:28:27 AM »
The idea that you should buy something you have no interest in "just because" is foolish IMO given the amount of money we're talking about. 

It is pre-hyperinflated money- might as well buy something valuable with it while you still can. ;)
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2012, 11:35:18 AM »

I don't own any ARs (don't really like them)

Why do you hate America?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2012, 11:44:40 AM »
www.ammunitiontogo.com has usually done okay for me on prices.  They also go to all the gun shows down here.

I have seen a lot of Federal 223 available for sale at sporting goods stores and gun stores in bulk.  I've had good luck with Federal 223 and it was generally competitive.  I would avoid steel case ammo unless you just want ammo for blasting.  If you shoot it, take care to clean the chamber very well.  A gun store in Houston sells 68 Gr Black Hills match ammo that is fairly accurate in my match barreled AR.

I would second another post on Brownells aluminum mags.  The few I have work well and seem very well built.  I have a number of Magpul P-Mags and have never had any issues with them.  They are slick and tough and feed well.  If you get a combination of those two, I think you will be well served. 

That said, there are lots of USGI mags out there.  I am sure others have their favorites.  I would avoid any suppliers that are not USGI spec or "cheap" mags.  Most of the problems I had with my first AR were due to cheap mags and cheap ammo. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2012, 12:13:54 PM »
It is pre-hyperinflated money- might as well buy something valuable with it while you still can. ;)

Buy something they can't take away: Training.

Or stock up on ammo for guns you currently own.

Or take up reloading and casting so you can feed your guns.

This is all moot if you *want* the gun in question, but I see time after time people claiming they *must* buy X gun because the libs don't like it or might try to ban it.  Seems like folks are getting led around by the nose.  Wouldn't it be funny if gun ban rumors were started by the gun industry. ;)

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2012, 12:33:52 PM »
This is all moot if you *want* the gun in question, but I see time after time people claiming they *must* buy X gun because the libs don't like it or might try to ban it.  Seems like folks are getting led around by the nose.  Wouldn't it be funny if gun ban rumors were started by the gun industry. ;)

Chris

I just use bans to rationalize buying the guns I want.  :laugh:

Though on a serious note, there can be valid reasons for buying "before the ban". For instance, try and buy a semi-auto pistol in CA that doesn't have a magazine disconnect. I still bought 1911s after that ban went into effect, but I bought two of mine without the disconnect a few months before the ban, because they'd be grandfathered in.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2012, 01:16:25 PM »
Why do you hate America?

Real Americans use rifles in caliber. 30 or above. :P Actually, I'd like to throw one together, just for the joy of gun-bubba-ing.

And Chris,

Grandfathering has been a loop-hole in all manner of regulation, and has already been used for anti-AR legislation. We can't count on grandfathering, but buying an AR isn't "counting on grandfathering," it's taking a precaution that has proven to be useful in the past.

I don't own any ARs (don't really like them), but when more people have a thing, that thing becomes politically and practically more difficult to prohibit, so zahc is right. 

brimic

• friends
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2012, 01:55:32 PM »
Real Americans use rifles in caliber. 30 or above. Actually, I'd like to throw one together, just for the joy of gun-bubba-ing.

So build one in 7.62x39 :P
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zahc

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2012, 01:59:19 PM »
I actually want an AR-10 now, not for 308, but for .243.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2012, 02:01:31 PM »

I also think ARs are like little black dresses. Everybody ought to have at least one. They go with everything.

Quotable.  Stolen for possible signature line use.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2012, 02:03:07 PM »
Real Americans use rifles in caliber. 30 or above.

Like my WASR.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2012, 04:36:50 PM »
Now that you have a lower, you can put any number of larger caliber uppers on it, including giant Poodle calibers, without going though a another background check. I think that is one of the more appealing features of the platform.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2012, 05:26:40 PM »
I actually want an AR-10 now, not for 308, but for .243.

Make mine .260Rem.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zahc

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2012, 05:32:23 PM »
Now that you have a lower, you can put any number of larger caliber uppers on it, including giant Poodle calibers, without going though a another background check.

A match/varmint upper really appeals to me, but I would have to do something about the trigger on this thing first.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2012, 05:35:23 PM »
I keep telling myself I want a 6.8 or 6.5 upper for my AR-15.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2012, 05:47:54 PM »
I keep telling myself I want a 6.8 or 6.5 upper for my AR-15.

Let go of 6.5, but I occasionally try to rationalize 6.8.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2012, 06:26:47 PM »
A match/varmint upper really appeals to me, but I would have to do something about the trigger on this thing first.

A stock basic AR trigger from even Colt is nothing to write home about.

The Tapco G2 trigger group on some of my AK's feels like it's a match trigger in comparison to the stock Colt. Except mine has the stupid steel block they put in for fear of people sticking DIAS'es in there. Only $50 at ADCO to get it milled out of my lower, but still...  :P
I promise not to duck.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »
People used to rave about Timney replacement triggers. Never tried one...always found other ways to spend $200...but if I wanted to add a precision upper, that might be the way to go .

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2012, 08:21:40 PM »
People used to rave about Timney replacement triggers. Never tried one...always found other ways to spend $200...but if I wanted to add a precision upper, that might be the way to go .
The two I have are really good, but there are others that get good reviews also.  Most of the better ones are at least $200, but a clean, crisp 3 lb break is really nice. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2012, 08:23:15 PM »
Let go of 6.5, but I occasionally try to rationalize 6.8.
I bought a 6.8 upper.  I ended up getting stripped lower and putting a lower together for it.  Shoots really well, but I have sort of set it aside until I start doing some reloading. 

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2012, 08:30:48 PM »
I bought a 6.8 upper.  I ended up getting stripped lower and putting a lower together for it.  Shoots really well, but I have sort of set it aside until I start doing some reloading. 

How is yours configured? Bbl length, etc.? I'm thinking about an 18" SPRish setup.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2012, 09:03:56 PM »
http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_24&products_id=318
My 6.8 is this.  I thought it was an 18" barrel, but this says 20".  I was getting 1.5" groups with the Hornady ammo with a Timney trigger in the lower.  Fun to shoot, but at around $1 or so a round, I needed to hold off until I could reload some.  I think bought somewhere around 500 rounds total.