Author Topic: Govliquidation.com, anyone have experience?  (Read 10183 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Govliquidation.com, anyone have experience?
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2013, 10:46:53 PM »
Well, if you load a heavy bullet, and a really big compressed load of Bullseye in 7.62x51, it might fire-form to a 7.62x54R chamber, right?

Right?   [tinfoil]

No, don't do this, of course.
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2013, 10:55:56 PM »
I'll be in for some of the .40

I don't really have space right now, but I was getting a storage unit anyway so what better use for it than brass.

I'm not set up for 5.56 so if others need that first, I'm happy to defer on that until those who are have spoken for it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2013, 11:05:25 PM »
You guys are making me jealous that I'm not able to get in on this because I don't have the: space to store multiple thousands of cases/reloading equipment to load these cases/money to acquire reloading equipment/time to load ammunition.  =(
Andy

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2013, 11:52:50 PM »
You guys are making me jealous that I'm not able to get in on this because I don't have the: space to store multiple thousands of cases/reloading equipment to load these cases/money to acquire reloading equipment/time to load ammunition.  =(

Don't worry. I turned 21 just before the '94 AWB and was living at home. I know exactly how you feel.

Between school and living arrangement's and your finances, it seems like you're doomed, but things will get better. It looks now like the worst we face on the federal front is closing private sales without an FFL/NICS, and even that gets to be more of an uphill battle every day and just dying in the face of the other fiscal matters, or SHTF with Iran, NK, Venezuela, or whatever...

And WI looks safe for the time being with the GOP in full control.

And instead of the scarcity caused by actual legislation, this panic crunch right now is boosting the industry to be in a stronger position in the long run, and for there to be deals and guns you haven't even thought of yet when the time comes.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2013, 08:58:23 AM »
A couple hundred rounds is just a few coffee (the new plastic ones) cans.  Shirley (Ha!!) you have room for that?

=D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2013, 09:53:20 AM »
I might have a handheld Lee press I can send Fitz' way if he wants to just learn the basics. 

Rev,  let us know what your high bid limit would be, and what you need for front money. 

I have a pickup that would be available, albeit in Wisconsin.   =|

Gewehr, I know I asked a long time ago. Mind PM'ing me the info on that again? I finally have the space for a full reloading setup. But I wouldn't mind one of those hand presses for entertainment and "never know" circumstances. If need be, willing to trade shipped brass for handheld press.   =D

I dunno. $100 ish per, $150 maybe?  $200 maybe for the big ones...  It closes in 5 days, and it's currently at "zero". Minimum bid is $50 per. So, we'll see.

Then I would imagine it will go for $1500-2000.  Considering there are scrap yards that will pay 50-75% of melt, and a truck is cheap.

In any case, say its $500 per barrel, its still on the order of <$0.01/case, which makes it reasonable.

I would say don't bid it over $1600 for a barrel each of the big 4, ($400/barrel), and go from there.

If you really want to make money off it, get yourself a harvey deprimer, a few Netflix movies, and deprime the brass...while doing a quick visual insoection, and then sell it as sorted, deprimed, once fired brass.  Get a power primer pocket cutter and cut the crimps out, and then you would be really good.  You'd easily make back any investment.

I will take 10k of all 4 calibers (9/40/5.56/7.62)

You're right about scrap yards. But I am building a forge for aluminum, zinc and brass. So it's more of an "internal" worth. Brass ingots are going at $7-9 per lb. Bar stock is slightly more. (For minimal amounts, obviously gets more economical in large orders) Any junk cases (crushed, mutilated, blanks, etc) that can't be reloaded will be melted down for casting ingots. I could ebay or craigslist the ingots at well above what scrap yards would pay. My cost would be propane. Reminds me, I should set up a begging entry on the classified sections of the firearms boards I visit/moderate. "Worthless brass wanted for mad engineering, will pay minimum dollar. Red shirt uniforms provided for free."

And you know, honestly, I was pondering that myself. I can buy a tumbler and deprimer, for fairly cheap directly from Cabelas. Maybe a deswage tool or "power primer pocket cutter", but dunno. Cleaning, sorting, depriming can basically be done by any idiot. Cutting/reaming new primer pockets should be done with some level of competency, which I likely have and could verify in ten minutes, but ... ehhh.  I'll look into it after. Best plans are kept simple in their beginnings, and then you take bonus opportunities as they arise.

I can only afford A and C at some expense at D, working on B. I bought a cheap house in need of repair because of the decent location and very decent land. So, while it's not as "visitor impressive" out the gate as new built barely affordable, it works for me. If I was married, probably wouldn't have gone with what I got.  Unmarried militant geek? Works very nicely. And I'm prettying up the place. Next project is "the man cave", so to speak. And landscaping.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2013, 10:26:11 AM »
A couple hundred rounds is just a few coffee (the new plastic ones) cans.  Shirley (Ha!!) you have room for that?

=D

Sure, I could shove it in some corner somewhere, but I'm actively de-cluttering right now since I have the bad habit of acquiring cheap but useful stuff that "I might use someday." Can't do that forever without running out of living space.  :facepalm: 

If I'm not able to use it soon, I'm not acquiring it, and I'm not currently able to do B, C, and D on my list above. Plus, I have several thousand rounds of NATO 9mm, of which I will be saving the cases as I shoot it up, so there's no point in acquiring more brass right now. If I had a house with a garage/basement it would be a different story.

Still though, it's pretty cool that this forum can get together and spontaneously assemble a group buy of .gov brass in such a way that benefits everyone.  :)  We've got a great group of folks here.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:32:14 AM by cosine »
Andy

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2013, 07:15:46 PM »

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6108496&convertTo=USD#auction_tabs

:facepalm:

THAT one comes in ammo cans, not barrels. Gee, nice them to put it 32 days out.  Bah.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2013, 08:02:31 PM »
Bunch of brass here in Yuma too. Anyone in Arizona wanna go in on this?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »
IIRC, pallets weigh about 40-45 lbs.  55 gallon drums weigh ~35 lbs (sans lid).  So deduct that from the per pallet/barrel weight.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2013, 08:40:42 PM »
I've got the ones in Yuma on my watch list.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2013, 09:18:04 PM »
IIRC, pallets weigh about 40-45 lbs.  55 gallon drums weigh ~35 lbs (sans lid).  So deduct that from the per pallet/barrel weight.
Little heavy for white wood, more like 35ish. If they use CHEP, PECO, or other block pallets figure on 55-60.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2013, 12:01:46 AM »
I would love me a 5 gallon bucket or two of LC 5.56, but the transportation costs pretty much are a deal-breaker.  (Logistics have a way of screwing up the best plans)

Besides, with the current conditions, the temptation might be too great to go into the unlicensed ammo bidness if I had that much brass.  I have the powder and primers already, and enough projectiles to make it interesting for a little while. 
"It's good, though..."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2013, 12:12:43 AM »
I would love me a 5 gallon bucket or two of LC 5.56, but the transportation costs pretty much are a deal-breaker.  (Logistics have a way of screwing up the best plans)

Besides, with the current conditions, the temptation might be too great to go into the unlicensed ammo bidness if I had that much brass.  I have the powder and primers already, and enough projectiles to make it interesting for a little while. 

Just get a bunch of ammo boxes printed up that says "Bloomberg Remanufactured Ammo Co. NY, NY".  =)
I promise not to duck.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2013, 11:36:03 AM »
Ouch! The 5.56 brass at Yuma is already bid to $1,990 for 1,600 lbs, $3,900 for 2,980 lbs and higher on the others. It doesn't end til 3/12/13.... :O

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2013, 03:16:54 PM »
Yeah, that's why I think Rev might get surprised closer to the end of his auction.   =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2013, 03:18:32 PM »
I was looking, the bidding on those auctions at $0 hadn't even started yet. Once they opened up they went pretty high immediately. http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/search?cmd=results&words=brass&EqlExpression=((P_Event_Id%3E=8000)%20and%20(P_Event_Id%3C=8999))
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »
Yeah, that's why I think Rev might get surprised closer to the end of his auction.   =(

Ayep. Checked today. Too high, not worth it for me.  They're at $2-4/lb. Not worth it. Was fun to drool over, and I'll keep an eye on for possible future.

Sad thing is, there's even odds it's someone that will melt it down and sell it as scrap/ingots.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »
Sad thing is, there's even odds it's someone that will melt it down and sell it as scrap/ingots...

to China  =(
"It's good, though..."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2013, 04:19:56 PM »
Maybe.  Could be somebody like www.brassmanbrass.com keeping business going, too.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

birdman

• friend
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2013, 07:50:10 PM »
Ayep. Checked today. Too high, not worth it for me.  They're at $2-4/lb. Not worth it. Was fun to drool over, and I'll keep an eye on for possible future.

Sad thing is, there's even odds it's someone that will melt it down and sell it as scrap/ingots.

Told ya.
At $4/lb, 7.62 brass is $0.04-0.05 each.  Worth it, maybe.  But probably not unless you have an industrial deswage/cull/etc thing going.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2013, 08:35:26 AM »
Told ya.
At $4/lb, 7.62 brass is $0.04-0.05 each.  Worth it, maybe.  But probably not unless you have an industrial deswage/cull/etc thing going.

Na, I'm not surprised. Looking over sales, it seems to really vary by region. Some places are going for $1-2 per lb, which is what I'd expect. Others, $3-5 ish. It's not an insane steal at the upper end of the margin. As you said, unless they have an industrial production line of some sort... That's a lot of work. And nearly too high for "scrap" prices, unless you are the person refining and reselling the brass.

Brass itself is selling at $6-10 per pound, depending on volume and form (ingots, bar stock, etc). So, there's margins. But not an insane one on the upper scale, once you add in taxes, transportation, etc.

Anniston, AL looks like the most high volume and lowest price location. We have anyone in that neck of the woods?

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2013, 08:29:40 AM »
Anniston, AL looks like the most high volume and lowest price location. We have anyone in that neck of the woods?
Yep, close enough to help out, anyway.  Have my macho truck + utility trailer.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2013, 03:47:23 PM »
Yep, close enough to help out, anyway.  Have my macho truck + utility trailer.

Interested in brokering brass?   =D