Author Topic: Vaccines  (Read 9103 times)

birdman

• friend
Re: Vaccines
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2013, 06:34:19 AM »
Your argument is "i'm right, because". I don't buy your objectivity argument.

Risk calculations are never as straightforward as that because you always have to consider both the risks and the stakes. Some things have very high stakes but very low chance of happening (like having to use a gun defensively). Everyone has to wiegh those kind of decisions for himself. It's easy to say "omg you could die", while neglecting to mention that your chances of getting e.g. Whooping cough may be a million-to-one, and only a small percentage of those cases are fatal, those often being individuals compromised to start with due to age or other complication. That 25000 kids died of polio in 1974 is essentially irrelevant to why I should take a vaccine today. The chance of complications, which can be 100% avoided, may well top the risk equation. That's why they have stopped recommending yearly mammograms...yes you could omg die from breast cancer, yet even the very small risk of a simple mammogram turned out not to be worth it in the big picture, and it took how many years? Guess what, it didn't make sense for all those years they were still recommending it either.

My argument is not "I'm right" its "people who don't vaccinate don't understand risk".
I do understand risk.  Math is math, probabilistic risk assessment isn't that hard, the inputs are easy to find, and the result is clear.

Math answer: vaccine wins.  Non-vaccinated is dumb.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2013, 07:32:53 AM »
The REASON the odds of those diseases are so low is BECAUSE of vaccinations

If enough morons stop vaccinating their kids, they could come back and those odds will go way up

For vaccinations to keep a disease at bay , participation is required
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2013, 08:10:20 AM »

Risk calculations are never as straightforward as that because you always have to consider both the risks and the stakes. Some things have very high stakes but very low chance of happening (like having to use a gun defensively). Everyone has to wiegh those kind of decisions for himself. It's easy to say "omg you could die", while neglecting to mention that your chances of getting e.g. Whooping cough may be a million-to-one, and only a small percentage of those cases are fatal, those often being individuals compromised to start with due to age or other complication. That 25000 kids died of polio in 1974 is essentially irrelevant to why I should take a vaccine today. The chance of complications, which can be 100% avoided, may well top the risk equation. That's why they have stopped recommending yearly mammograms...yes you could omg die from breast cancer, yet even the very small risk of a simple mammogram turned out not to be worth it in the big picture, and it took how many years? Guess what, it didn't make sense for all those years they were still recommending it either.

I am going to assume that you never took any microbiology because your analysis is quite wrong on vaccines. Vaccines do allow the human body to develop an immunity to a particular disease but it also reduces the number of people who may host a disease, reducing the size of the disease reservoir which in turn hopefully eradicates the disease or reduces the outbreaks. As mentioned above if more people on the US stop taking certain vaccines such as polio then the potential for a outbreak of polio like the past likely will happen.

A mammogram is a lot different that a vaccine, one is a test and the other is a preventative. That would be like comparing a bison to a trout and saying both are terrestrial animals because you can find both in Wyoming.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2013, 11:44:51 AM »
Everyone has to wiegh those kind of decisions for himself. It's easy to say "omg you could die", while neglecting to mention that your chances of getting e.g. Whooping cough may be a million-to-one, and only a small percentage of those cases are fatal, those often being individuals compromised to start with due to age or other complication.

http://heraldnet.com/article/20120105/NEWS01/701059905#Whooping-cough-hits-epidemic-levels-in-county%0A

Your chances of getting whooping cough are pretty good around here, and if by "already compromised" you mean "are a little kid" then yes, that is where most of the mortality falls.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2013, 12:05:26 PM »

You sure about that?  On both counts? (The why and individualized mammogram risk.)  Understand the difference between testing and immunization.

I am sure the individualized benefits of testing and early detection have not changed.  What changed was the perspective of the PAYER.  Note from whom and when these sudden, new "no need to test for this & that" studies originate.  On breast cancer, PSA, colonoscopies, etc.  Since BHO and Obamacare came on the scene, many "preventive" medical procedures have been poo-pooed and/or data presented from a collective  perspective. 

IOW, it still makes sense, from a quantitative POV, for an individual to get such testing, especially if they have insurance and risk factors.  OTOH, if you are designing a system of pseudo/masked socialized medicine, maybe not so much.  An awful lot spent on testing healthy folk so that the socialized medicoes started trumpeting such data.  Sort of gives up the lie that "preventative" medicine saves money.  It doesn't.  But when employers were the ones on the hook to pay for it, it was a great thing.  When those numbers are applied to Obamacare, they cried, "Whoa, Nelly!  No need for all those 'wasted' tests on perfectly healthy people.  The cost of all those tests on healthy folk is more than paying for the one in a thousand who benefits and lives to see their gradkids instead of dying young."

My argument is not "I'm right" its "people who don't vaccinate don't understand risk".
I do understand risk.  Math is math, probabilistic risk assessment isn't that hard, the inputs are easy to find, and the result is clear.

Math answer: vaccine wins.  Non-vaccinated is dumb.

My point early on in the thread.

Math is hard (to refute).

An informed decision not to vaccinate will not be based on the math, but on some other premise.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2013, 02:09:41 PM »
So far we're doing okay in this thread, but I can see the possibility for conflict.  Please keep it going in a civil direction in both tone and actual wording.  Just a reminder.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2013, 02:22:07 PM »
My choice to not get the shingles vaccine was an ethical choice that only affects me.  AFAIK shingles is not contagious, and I was already exposed 40 years ago when I had chickenpox.  I also didn't get the H1N1 flu vaccine a couple of years ago when they rushed that one to market without adequate testing (I did get the regular flu shot.)  Other than that, I'm all for vaccines... and I think one has a responsibility to society to not be part of the unvaccinated pool that could allow an outbreak to take hold.

Wouldn't it be cool to actually eradicate polio and measles like we did with smallpox?  We're pretty close.

I still have my doubts about the benefits of the chickenpox vaccine. Sometimes the old ways are the best ways.
"It's good, though..."

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2013, 04:25:03 PM »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »
This is what polio can do to a kid:

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2013, 04:56:58 PM »
It's funny. My boss has (well, had) a friend who went full hippie with her baby. Which resulted in several katie rants which are both humorous and instructive.
One rant on the subject of vaccines included the fact that, other then auto immune deiseses, scientist have made HUGE leaps when it comes to the study and production of vaccines.
The vaccines today are diffrent animals from the ones used 60, 50, 20 or even 10 years ago, and despite some issues, those worked! The new ones work even better, with more effective viral loads and less additives.
This isn't sticking needles into cowpox scabs and then sticking people anymore. It's been studied extensivenly, proven effective and then improved even more.

Get your kid vaccinated. Yes, you may have a cranky baby with a bit of a fever for a day or two, but is that really worse then having him suffer some horrible disease and maybe die and potentially be the center of an epidemic that kills/maims thousands of other kids?

As for HPV, little girls grow up and have a mind of their own. Are you parenting for her sake (and her right to grow up and make her own damn decisions) or are you parenting in order to make a clone of your ideals and values?
Get the vaccine and let her sort out her future sex life.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2013, 05:08:11 PM »
It's funny. My boss has (well, had) a friend who went full hippie with her baby. Which resulted in several katie rants which are both humorous and instructive.
One rant on the subject of vaccines included the fact that, other then auto immune deiseses, scientist have made HUGE leaps when it comes to the study and production of vaccines.
The vaccines today are diffrent animals from the ones used 60, 50, 20 or even 10 years ago, and despite some issues, those worked! The new ones work even better, with more effective viral loads and less additives.
This isn't sticking needles into cowpox scabs and then sticking people anymore. It's been studied extensivenly, proven effective and then improved even more.

Get your kid vaccinated. Yes, you may have a cranky baby with a bit of a fever for a day or two, but is that really worse then having him suffer some horrible disease and maybe die and potentially be the center of an epidemic that kills/maims thousands of other kids?

As for HPV, little girls grow up and have a mind of their own. Are you parenting for her sake (and her right to grow up and make her own damn decisions) or are you parenting in order to make a clone of your ideals and values?
Get the vaccine and let her sort out her future sex life.

And keep the nearest convent on speed dial.  "Hello.  Yes it is me.  Code 'Sally Field.'  I repeat, code 'Sally Field.'"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2013, 05:13:07 PM »
And keep the nearest convent on speed dial.  "Hello.  Yes it is me.  Code 'Sally Field.'  I repeat, code 'Sally Field.'"

;/
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

birdman

• friend
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2013, 05:25:03 PM »
So far we're doing okay in this thread, but I can see the possibility for conflict.  Please keep it going in a civil direction in both tone and actual wording.  Just a reminder.

I understand what you are saying, but risking a child's life for non-factual reasons IS stupid.  Children rely on their parents to make informed decisions.

If I realized my parents did something when I was a kid because of popular ill-informed opinion, and it came back to hurt ME, I'd be pretty freakin pissed at them.

There a fine line between calling a person stupid, and saying that a hypothetical action is stupid (ie, the opposite of smart).

Not vaccinating is stupid, as -proven- by probabilistic risk assessment.
People who do stupid things can be regarded as stupid. 
I can state both of those without calling names.  To phrase my opinion any other way is PC.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2013, 06:03:39 PM »
Tell us how ya really feel
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2013, 06:21:03 PM »
Again, I will point out that there is no CURE (and damn little treatment) for these diseases.  There is only PREVENTION through vaccination.

Once your child catches one, the only thing you can do is pray.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2013, 06:38:06 PM »
Again, I will point out that there is no CURE (and damn little treatment) for these diseases.  There is only PREVENTION through vaccination.
Once your child catches one, the only thing you can do is pray.

Are we still talking about chickenpox?   ???
"It's good, though..."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2013, 06:38:53 PM »
As someone who watched my wife suffer through an excruciating shingles attack, I'm more than willing to get vaccinated against it.   =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2013, 07:16:41 PM »
Are we still talking about chickenpox?   ???

Nope, talking about all of them: Measles, Rubella, Polio, Whooping Cough, etc. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »
Nope, talking about all of them: Measles, Rubella, Polio, Whooping Cough, etc. 

Don't forget mumps.  The mumps portion of my first MMR was defective, and I had to go through that (about 1:100,000 that year), and OMG.  104+ fever (and that was IN an ice bath).

All of the diseases vaccinated for are done so because they stand a major risk of either complications or threaten lives.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2013, 08:53:48 PM »
All of the diseases vaccinated for are done so because they stand a major risk of either complications or threaten lives.

As long as you keep talking in absolutes, I'm going to keep bringing up the Varivax chickenpox vaccine.

Contracting the disease gives you lifelong immunity.  The vaccine gives maybe 6 to 10 years.  Chickenpox is not dangerous to children (except for the immunocompromised and babies), but it far more serious for adults.  So immunizing children prevents them from contracting the disease while young and leaves them vulnerable as adults unless they get booster shots.  (I'm not sure it's even available as a booster shot)  Babies are protected by the mother's antibodies for about 6 months, but if the mother was immunized against varicella instead of getting the antibodies the old-fashioned way, her antibody count will be much lower and might not provide enough (if any) protection to her newborn.

About 50 to 100 people die every year from complications of chickenpox, but almost all of them are adults and babies, the very people the vaccine may actually work *against*.

Even totally ignoring the ethical issues of using aborted fetal tissue in developing the vaccine, it doesn't make sense from a cost/benefit analysis -- unless the C/B study was funded by Merck.

"It's good, though..."

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2013, 09:53:54 PM »
or are you parenting in order to make a clone of your ideals and values?

Yes, how horrible for parents to raise their children to value the things the parents feel are right. Certainly you don't plan to raise your children to value a free country, to respect others, or to teach them the value of hard work then? That would just be cloning your own values.

For the record, I plan to have any daughters get the HPV vaccine for many reasons already listed. But to say parents shouldn't seek to instill in their children the values the parents find to be good is laughable.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2013, 10:02:54 PM »
Yes, how horrible for parents to raise their children to value the things the parents feel are right. Certainly you don't plan to raise your children to value a free country, to respect others, or to teach them the value of hard work then? That would just be cloning your own values.

For the record, I plan to have any daughters get the HPV vaccine for many reasons already listed. But to say parents shouldn't seek to instill in their children the values the parents find to be good is laughable.

I said "clone".

Do you accept that at some point your children may disagree with your ideals and values and have a valid set of reasons for doing so? And will you accept your children despite these disagreements?

This is my point. IMHO, parents should raise their children with the acceptance and understanding that those children will devlope a mind of their own and may make decisions their parents don't agree with. In order to best protect those, a parent should consider ways to prepare their children for every eventuality, even some that don't nessasery fit with the parents ideals or values.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2013, 10:04:36 PM »
College friend of mine got whooping cough two years ago and came very close to dying.

She live in Harrisburg, PA
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2013, 10:18:54 PM »
I said "clone".

Perhaps I was inferring that a shade different than you meant. Yes, eventualities is exactly why I'll vaccinate any daughters for HPV.

As mentioned previously, HPV holds benefits even if said daughter(s) stay on the path ma & pa put them on. Things like rape and spousal infidelity could put them at risk for the virus as well.