Author Topic: Sears circling the drain  (Read 14161 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Sears circling the drain
« on: October 23, 2014, 11:49:34 PM »
Appears Sears is likely calling it quits. Announced the closing of another 77 stores, and before Christmas no less. The rest are having clearance sales. Might be time to make a tool & shop stuff run.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/23/news/companies/sears-store-closings/index.html

Brad
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:57:04 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Sears circling the drain
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 11:53:18 PM »
Might be time to make a tool & shop stuff run.

Sears was okay for tools the last 10-20 years because you could return them when they broke. If they're gone, you can't return them to anyone.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:56:38 PM »
If they're cheap enough, who cares. Screwdrivers, pliers, sockets, maybe even a toolbox or a couple of spare shop stools and creepers. Stuff that rarely breaks but eventually gets shoddy enough you just want a new one.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 12:28:36 AM »
Is Sears going out or just shutting down retail? The local Ace hardware stores have been selling Craftsman tools for a couple of years now.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 12:58:25 AM »
If the local Sears wasn't at the mall, I might go there.  I don't go near the mall unless I have to. 

My only other impression was I used to use Sears car batteries because I could walk to a local Sears Hardware.  None of those batteries lasted a full 3 years.  Switched to a much better brand at Autozone and had much better performance. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 05:32:01 AM »
If the local Sears wasn't at the mall, I might go there.  I don't go near the mall unless I have to. 

My only other impression was I used to use Sears car batteries because I could walk to a local Sears Hardware.  None of those batteries lasted a full 3 years.  Switched to a much better brand at Autozone and had much better performance. 

We had a car battery fail in a Sears parking lot, so we went into Sears to get a replacement. The salesman sold us a battery he swore would work.

It didn't fit.  :facepalm:

So we took it back in to return it...and the rat bastard said he wouldn't take it back!  :mad:

We eventually convinced him it was, in fact, in his better interest to take it back, then walked across the road to Walmart and bought one there.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 07:10:51 AM »
I read the article as the clearance sales are only happening at the 77 stores that are closing not every store.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 07:41:27 AM »
77 stores is an average of approximately 1-1/2 stores per state. How many stores does Sears operate in the U.S.? I can think of two mall anchor stores and a Sears hardware all within 10 or 12 miles of my home. I don't think this is the beginning of the end. At least ... not yet.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 07:49:53 AM »
77 stores is an average of approximately 1-1/2 stores per state. How many stores does Sears operate in the U.S.? I can think of two mall anchor stores and a Sears hardware all within 10 or 12 miles of my home. I don't think this is the beginning of the end. At least ... not yet.

46 Kmart stores and 31 Sears stores are closing, so less than one Sears per state.on average.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 08:35:47 AM »
46 Kmart stores and 31 Sears stores are closing, so less than one Sears per state.on average.

The two K-Mart stores locally closed a few years ago.  While the buildings stood empty the crime rate in the neighborhoods dropped dramatically.  One has reopened as some sort of discount furniture store and the other is a church-based one-stop charity/welface center.  Both locations are off the "blighted areas" list, whereas they were on it when the K-Marts were open.

If the Sears store in town closes nobody will miss it very much, except for the automotive service shop (not the accessories sales) which is considered to be fairly decent.

Go figure.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 10:17:13 AM »

From the OP's article: 
The company reported that it had nearly 1,900 U.S. stores between the two brands as of the end of August, down 166 from a year earlier
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 03:22:53 PM »
What makes this set of closings different is they are to happen immediately, as in before Christmas. Large retailers can easily gross as much in the 60 days prior to Christmas as they do for the rest of the year combined. For a retailer to close a location during the single largest sales period of the year is telling.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:52:17 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 05:11:11 PM »
What makes this set of closings different is they are to happen immediate, as in before Christmas. Large retailers can easily gross as much in the 60 days prior to Christmas as they do for the rest of the year combined. For a retailer to close a location during the single largest sales period of the year is telling.

Depends; they could be concentrating resources in areas they considered overserved.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 05:23:34 PM »
Depends; they could be concentrating resources in areas they considered overserved.

It's still telling...  As in they don't believe that the stores can cover 2 months of costs in their busiest times of year...

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 05:33:52 PM »

At least one or two of the stores are not in overserved areas (I know the areas).

Sears is struggling.  My semi-retired dad works there part time as in sales.  They're doing all sorts of stupid things, stuff that customers don't necessarily see.

Chris

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 07:25:52 PM »
Might be time to make a tool & shop stuff run.

The last few years of Craftsman USA production weren't too hot and the Chinese production stuff is just no bueno...the only thing at Sears worth a damn these days is the third party stuff such as Knipex pliers, Estwing hammers, some of the Gearwrench stuff, and so forth.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 07:58:18 PM »
My mother has a Sears card, and they sent her a notice that she had some "surprise points" worth $10. So she decided to use them . . . she asked me to help her find a new toaster on the Internet at Sears' website.

So with her looking over my shoulder, we found one, Sears brand . . . ON SALE!  We ordered it for store pickup.

Went to the store . . . nobody there knew how to process the "surprise points." Went through 2 or 3 folks who couldn't make the system work, finally got the manager. He went in back and brought out the toaster . . . IT WAS AN <EXPLETIVE> DEMO THAT HAD OBVIOUSLY BEEN DROPPED!! No indication at the website that it was anything except new. They didn't have another, and couldn't/wouldn't order another at the same price. Needless to say, we told them to keep their <expletive> POS.

Sears used to sell their own line of guns under the "Ted Williams" brand - that ended decades ago. I had problems a few years back with a Sears pressure washer, and in Design News magazine's Made by Monkeys column, Sears Kenmore appliance have been "featured" repeatedly.

Sears will NOT survive without a thorough housecleaning at the top. And I won't shed a tear when they fold.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 09:13:08 PM »
My mother has a Sears card, and they sent her a notice that she had some "surprise points" worth $10. So she decided to use them . . . she asked me to help her find a new toaster on the Internet at Sears' website.

So with her looking over my shoulder, we found one, Sears brand . . . ON SALE!  We ordered it for store pickup.

Went to the store . . . nobody there knew how to process the "surprise points." Went through 2 or 3 folks who couldn't make the system work, finally got the manager. He went in back and brought out the toaster . . . IT WAS AN <EXPLETIVE> DEMO THAT HAD OBVIOUSLY BEEN DROPPED!! No indication at the website that it was anything except new. They didn't have another, and couldn't/wouldn't order another at the same price. Needless to say, we told them to keep their <expletive> POS.

Sears used to sell their own line of guns under the "Ted Williams" brand - that ended decades ago. I had problems a few years back with a Sears pressure washer, and in Design News magazine's Made by Monkeys column, Sears Kenmore appliance have been "featured" repeatedly.

Sears will NOT survive without a thorough housecleaning at the top. And I won't shed a tear when they fold.

Their site to store ordering system is near unusable.

The Sears name and brands (Craftsman, Kenmore...) used to denote quality and service...but not in the past couple of decades.

Sears is a mere shadow of itself and just need to go on and die rather than hanging on until the end...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 10:04:15 PM »
I really decided Kmart was not on my preferred list about a year ago.  The checker held up the entire line to process a person's application for a Kmart credit card.  Took "more than a minute".  Meanwhile, paying customers stood, stewed, and at least one decided that he would be avoiding Kmart as much as possible going forth.  I've seen others go under.  I see a lot of the same signs here.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 10:54:38 PM »
Sears wants out of the brick and mortar retail business. They are, however, gearing up to compete with Amazon in selling third party stuff.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 10:58:43 PM »
Sears wants out of the brick and mortar retail business. They are, however, gearing up to compete with Amazon in selling third party stuff.

Sears. Compete. With. Amazon.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: that's a good one...

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 11:10:32 PM »
I've been in several Sears and K Marts over the past several years (my company does the inventory on both).

Sears has been kinda running scared the last year or two. You won't see it as readily on the sales floor (although it is showing there too now), but in the back room. Used to be, I would be in the back room of the store in Sheboygan for several hours: this year, I was done there in about an hour and a half. They just are NOT keeping stock on hand.

As for K Mart: they are the perfect example of how retail workers shouldn't act
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 08:47:52 AM »
Everybody wants a piece of the "marketplace" game. Walmart and Newegg are both doing it but neither are even close to competing with Amazon yet. Sears doesn't even have the juice necessary to compete with Walmart in that arena, much less Amazon
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 12:42:33 PM by cordex »

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 09:41:17 AM »
The last few years of Craftsman USA production weren't too hot and the Chinese production stuff is just no bueno...the only thing at Sears worth a damn these days is the third party stuff such as Knipex pliers, Estwing hammers, some of the Gearwrench stuff, and so forth.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Taiwanese tools I have purchased- much better than the mainland commie stuff.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 12:53:05 PM »
The Sears name and brands (Craftsman, Kenmore...) used to denote quality and service...but not in the past couple of decades.
How true . . . my mother still has a Kenmore cannister vacuum that's a good 30 years old, and it still sucks just fine.  ;)   And an old Kenmore freezer is still in service in my home. Craftsman hand tools were always favorites. (Sears power tools, not so much.)

I seriously doubt Sears' current offerings will provide comparable longevity - from what I've read about other folk's experiences, much of the engineering expertise has gone into making Kenmore appliances break down just after the warranty expires.

I remember when Sears and K-Mart merged, the PR flacks were crowing that K-Mart would be improved by instituting Sears business practices . . . looks like exactly the opposite occurred. (As I predicted 'way back then.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain