Author Topic: Sears circling the drain  (Read 14162 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Sears circling the drain
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 07:49:22 PM »
I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Taiwanese tools I have purchased- much better than the mainland commie stuff.

The Taiwanese tools have generally gotten to a very good quality level, they are tough as hell, too. Tougher than even older Craftsman tools and better quality overall.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2014, 07:54:15 PM »
The Taiwanese tools have generally gotten to a very good quality level, they are tough as hell, too. Tougher than even older Craftsman tools and better quality overall.

Which brands?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2014, 08:04:33 PM »
Which brands?

There are several brands of Taiwanese tools, most seem to come from the same OEMs. Harbor Freight Pittsburg Pro sockets and ratchets (check the packaging for country of origin), Kobalt from Lowes, Gear Wrench/KD (some GW is now Chinese, some still Taiwanese), Sunex/Grey Pnuematic impact sockets, Napa Carlyle tools (very good), King Tony (their impact guns are great and their sockets look to be VERY high quality)

For US made makers, SK is 100% US and under new ownership, Wright (Snap On level of quality for much lower prices), Proto, Armstrong (proto is the industrial version of Mac tools), Williams (Snap On's industrial brand)

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
I have a Kabar kukri machete that was made in Taiwan. Built like a brick shithouse.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 08:57:39 PM »
Sears. Compete. With. Amazon.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: that's a good one...

Sears lost $573 million, or $5.39 per share, during its quarter that ended Aug. 2. That was nearly three times its loss of $194 million, or $1.83 per diluted share, during the same period last year. Adjusting for one-time items, its loss was $313 million, or $2.87 per diluted share. It was the ninth-straight quarter that the once-mighty retailer has had a loss.

For the third quarter, Amazon posted a net loss of $437 million, more than 10 times wider than the $41 million loss from a year ago. Sales rose 20 percent to $20.6 billion. Analysts had projected a loss of $331.4 million on sales of $20.9 billion.

IIRC, Amazon has only posted 2 quarters of earnings in the last 5 years.   Having said that, obviously the two companies are headed in the opposite directions.  Which is amazing.  Sears dumped their catalog operation(s) just about the time the Interwebz was being invented by Al Gore.   I distinctly remember my mother ordering stuff out of the catalog and then later going to the local Sears store to pick up whatever she had ordered.  I disremember whether she paid when calling in/dropping off her order or when she picked it up, I was only 7 or 8 and cared more about going and drooling over the Toys and Ted Williams Guns display, then about sheets and clothes.

Anyway, when I worked for OCP, our three largest customers where Wal-Mart, K-Mart and Target.  Target, by far had the best and tightest logistics operations.   Wal-mart's was very good, their only problem was their size.  K-mart's was absolutely horrible.  I got charge-backs if I combined orders going to the same DC on one truck.  I got chargebacks if I didn't combine orders going to the same DC on one truck.  I got chargebacks for using their LTL carriers for truckloads AFTER I had called them and explained it would be cheaper to use their FTL carrier.  I got chargebacks for using their FTL carrier to ship large orders, and not breaking them down in LTL loads.   It got to the point it was a joke.  I got chargebacks for every single order I shipped.  I told my boss that I would not ship one more K-mart load, until we had a meeting with their logistics people, as I was tired of my clerks digging through all the shipping records to refute their chargeback claims.  (I think they fact that I told him I needed to hire two more clerks just for K-Mart chargebacks got his attention.)

The first thing I said in that meeting was "So, is K-mart's back of the house operation a profit center?"   After showing them all their chargebacks and what I had saved them based on how I had routed their freight/combined orders/etc.  They agreed to let us continue to route their freight and call first if they had any questions as to why we did what we did.

Morons.   Sears and K-mart deserve each other.  

The Universe, showing that it has a perverse sense of humour found me, years later, handling the break-bulk and trans-shipping of all of Land's End imported products to their warehouses.  Then Sears bought them, and things got stupid.  Then K-mart bought Sears and decided that they could do it better themselves.  Sadly, they missed the memo that said "Do NOT move move things, like containers, from a Customs Bonded Location, until AFTER the items have cleared US Customs."   Seems they were having containers drayed straight to the LE warehouses (to avoid storage charges, because they hadn't figured out how to process the necessary paperwork through Customs), and then unloading them upon arrival.   I'm not sure how much the fines totaled, but we got the business back and were able to raise our rates to almost 2x what they had been paying before.

I will not shed a tear when Sears Holdings (aka Sears and K-mart) go Tango Uniform.    

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:19:47 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2014, 09:25:27 PM »
Appears Sears is likely calling it quits. Announced the closing of another 77 stores, and before Christmas no less. The rest are having clearance sales. Might be time to make a tool & shop stuff run.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/23/news/companies/sears-store-closings/index.html

Brad

Tools are the last thing that will go on sale, and the first thing vultures will go after.

Sent from my iPhone
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2014, 05:35:30 AM »

Tools are the last thing that will go on sale, and the first thing vultures will go after.

Sent from my iPhone

Which means the tools are valued by the customers.  Which means that the hardware side of Sears might be worth saving.

Bring back the Craftsman brand of old, fix the Kenmore brand, switch from large department stores to small hardware and home stores.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 12:49:14 PM »
I've got an old Kenmore sewing machine that the serial number dates it to 1966. All metal and built like a tank. Runs like a champ and will sew threw the heavy stuff with no problems. I use it for light leather and canvas work when I don't want to mess with my heavy stitcher.

I wonder if the brands were resurrected as the made in USA and actual high quality that they used to be known for would be viable in today's consumer market?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2014, 01:11:32 PM »
Actually... the Sears in Manitowoc has gone to nothing but tools and appliances. Still don't see that much business in there...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »
The last few years of Craftsman USA production weren't too hot and the Chinese production stuff is just no bueno...the only thing at Sears worth a damn these days is the third party stuff such as Knipex pliers, Estwing hammers, some of the Gearwrench stuff, and so forth.

The lack of B&M locations kills the best feature of Craftsman; nobody makes a T8 driver that will last for more than a couple dozen Compaq laptop repairs, and it was really handy to be able to swap one out in a matter of minutes on the way to a service call.  Anything else would have necessitated having 3 of each of the tools that wore out most often to cover the delay in getting the replacement.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 01:46:38 PM »
I remember when Sears and K-Mart merged, the PR flacks were crowing that K-Mart would be improved by instituting Sears business practices . . .

They were going to start mopping the stores more than once a year?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 03:23:19 PM »
Went by our local store this morning. Last time I was there it looked like a garage sale at a hobo convention. This time I was pleasantly surprised to see it cleaned up, fully stocked, lighting repaired and consistent, and adequately staffed with clean, smiling, helpful people.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 03:38:49 PM »
Went by our local store this morning. Last time I was there it looked like a garage sale at a hobo convention. This time I was pleasantly surprised to see it cleaned up, fully stocked, lighting repaired and consistent, and adequately staffed with clean, smiling, helpful people.

Brad
For some reason I read that the first time through as clean smelling  :laugh:
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 05:49:56 PM »
Something to keep in mind.  Not all that long ago (from the 1890's up until the late 1960's/early 1970's), Sears was the Wal-mart of it's day.  

Until October 1989, Sears was America's largest retailer, when it was surpassed by Walmart in domestic revenue. Target, Best Buy, and Home Depot have also surpassed Sears since.

So those hating on Wal-mart, don't worry, it's time will come and it will be circling the drain like Sears.   Amazon is rapidly gaining and expanding their services.  So if Amazon overtakes Wal-mart, there will be someone out there poised to drive Amazon down to circling the drain.  It's all just a matter of time.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 06:06:20 PM »
Something to keep in mind.  Not all that long ago (from the 1890's up until the late 1960's/early 1970's), Sears was the Wal-mart of it's day.  

So those hating on Wal-mart, don't worry, it's time will come and it will be circling the drain like Sears.   Amazon is rapidly gaining and expanding their services.  So if Amazon overtakes Wal-mart, there will be someone out there poised to drive Amazon down to circling the drain.  It's all just a matter of time.

I just don't see the ability to go get a case of toilet paper at 2AM ever being Amazon's strong suit.  If anybody takes WalMart down, it will be another brick and mortar megastore that's willing to take on the 24x7 and locations everywhere challenge.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 06:08:53 PM »

Don't forget about Woolworth's.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 06:33:14 PM »
When I was very young, the local Woolworth's had a lunch counter with the best burgers and milkshakes available locally.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 10:56:21 PM »
Lots of businesses and things that were that aren't anymore.  Humans are born, live and die.  I think things and businesses are bound by the same rules, only maybe the period of time is a bit longer.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2014, 06:31:48 PM »
A story about Sears and where it ranks among retailers (Hint: It's not #1)

Some of the reader comments echo what APS members have written . . .

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/11/08/believe-it-or-not-this-retailer-has-the-worst-repu.aspx
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2014, 08:04:45 PM »
I just don't see the ability to go get a case of toilet paper at 2AM ever being Amazon's strong suit.  If anybody takes WalMart down, it will be another brick and mortar megastore that's willing to take on the 24x7 and locations everywhere challenge.

Amazon is starting to walk a on the wrong side of the line with their "Free Amazon Shipping"  processing delays. If I place an order using free shipping they routinely take 7-10 days to initiate shipment. It's to the point that I've gone back to shopping local for many of the things I had been buying on Amazon. I keep a list on my phone for Walmart, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc.. I'm within blocks of them at least once a week so I simply stop and grab what's on the list. It's a tiny tradeoff in convenience for getting what I want at least week faster than Amazon.

I'm not alone. I was grousing about it to some friends recently and all of them mentioned being miffed about it. Yes, I know Amazon is wanting everyone to move to Prime, but that's no excuse for piss poor logistics tied to something they prominently advertise on every single order (their over-$35 free shipping).

Brad
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 08:09:01 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2014, 08:17:16 PM »
Amazon is starting to walk a on the wrong side of the line with their "Free Amazon Shipping"  processing delays. If I place an order using free shipping they routinely take 7-10 days to initiate shipment. It's to the point that I've gone back to shopping local for many of the things I had been buying on Amazon. I keep a list on my phone for Walmart, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc.. I'm within blocks of them at least once a week so I simply stop and grab what's on the list. It's a tiny tradeoff in convenience for getting what I want at least week faster than Amazon.

I'm not alone. I was grousing about it to some friends recently and all of them mentioned being miffed about it. Yes, I know Amazon is wanting everyone to move to Prime, but that's no excuse for piss poor logistics tied to something they prominently advertise on every single order (their over-$35 free shipping).

Brad

You get what you pay for...

I have Prime. The savings in buying tools alone has more than paid for it, versus buying off the tool trucks. They are starting to creep on their "two day prime shipping" too, unfortunately.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2014, 08:31:58 PM »
You get what you pay for...

I have Prime. The savings in buying tools alone has more than paid for it, versus buying off the tool trucks. They are starting to creep on their "two day prime shipping" too, unfortunately.

If they're getting delay-creep into the Prime program I guess that means you really aren't "getting what you paid for".  ;)

Brad
-HankB

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2014, 08:50:11 PM »
If they're getting delay-creep into the Prime program I guess that means you really aren't "getting what you paid for".  ;)

Brad
Yep. During the holidays is when it gets a little worse, most of the year it hasn't been a problem.

There's a big Amazon depot about two and a half hours from my house. During the holidays some idiot decided it would be a good idea to ship my Prime items using surepost where it's handed off to my post office for final delivery. Just because you're two hours away doesn't flippin mean it's not going to sit with the carrier while they move their expedited shipments around.

I don't think I was on Amazons nice list after that phone call...
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2014, 10:11:15 PM »
I had that happen with OpticsPlanet.  I would order something that said "in stock" and it wouldn't ship for a week or so.  I haven't ordered from them in a while.  I use them for price checking a lot.

Brad
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2014, 10:25:25 PM »

Woolworth's

W.T. Grant's

Montgomery Ward

Western Auto

K-Mart was originally S. S. Kresge's
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design