Author Topic: Wildfires in Hawaii  (Read 3980 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Wildfires in Hawaii
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2023, 08:19:06 AM »
Biden endearing himself to Hawaii residents:

After a couple hours on the Rehoboth beach, @potus was asked about the rising death toll in Hawaii

“No comment,” he said before heading home
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2023, 09:46:45 AM »
I kind of thought that was stretching things a little for a lawsuit, but the National Weather Service had apparently issued a High Wind Watch and Red Flag Warning.  They supposedly cautioned that energized power lines could be fire hazards.

Sounds like the power companies were stuck between a rock and a hard place on that one.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2023, 10:09:26 AM »
But, my wheel is designed for 8 & 4 (or 10 & 2)!

Stupid Ford.  That steering wheel is almost as dumb as when Plymouth (etc.) used pushbuttons for shifting.  I look at that wheel and I wonder that "Necking Knobs" are illegal on the thin excuse that they interfere with steering.  Humph!!!

At least with a necking knob you could steer with one hand if need be, unlike in HeroHog's Ford.

Almost as stupid as those horn rings... if you remember them.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://www.classiccarstodayonline.com/2017/09/26/alternate-gear-shift-levers-through-the-years/

On that business of the outgoing side of roads being jammed while the incoming side was completely open, remember that emergency and rescue vehicles have to use the incoming lanes, sometimes in both directions.  Opening up incoming lanes for evacuation is another one of those judgement calls that lawsuit-wise, can get the decision-maker in trouble no matter which way he rules.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 10:39:16 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2023, 10:10:51 AM »
Hundreds still missing and according this only 3% of the town has been searched so far.

Hundreds of people remain unaccounted for, and large swathes of Lahaina are yet to be searched. John Pelletier, the Maui police chief, said only three percent of the town - home to more than 9,000 people - had been searched so far.

Hawaii's dystopian reality: Apocalyptic images reveal full horror of '1,000 degree' deadly 'fire hurricane' that annihilated historic city and killed at least 96 amid warnings death toll could surge by hundreds
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12404107/Fears-Maui-fire-images-reveal-dystopian-reality.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2023, 10:20:24 AM »
I blame Trump and the NRA.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2023, 12:23:27 PM »
I can understand being annoyed  with some dreg of society going slow in the fast lane.
Gol dang it tho, if someone is slow in the slow lane they might be slow for a good reason.
A really cool female highway patrol officer assured me that it is almost always a female insisting on going slow in the fast lane .
Every youtube video of a dude doing the slow   (in fast lane thing) shows some guy with obvious mental problems .
My theory is when a guy is going slow in the fast lane, he is angry that he isn't a female and determined to behave like one - or he has little to no testosterone and consequently no control of his feminine emotions ...

One of the survivors of the wildfire used his Harley to get around the poor confused cagers who died rather than violating traffic laws, he rode on the sidewalks ( which had no people anyway )

Some of the pictures reminded me the Walking Dead early episodes with piles of dead bodies in cars going one way with a completely empty lane right next to them going the other way.

I live in an area known for bad wildfires too, I am going to start planning and practicing getting out in a hurry.

The house around the corner burned down a few days ago , killing three neighbor dogs
For Evacuation plans, I would get a map showing all the backroads on your route and plan to use them at least to get past the bottlenecks.  Likely you will just need to avoid the major highways and interstates.  Once you get away from the city, you can probably go back to the major roads depending on how bad it is. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2023, 05:05:24 PM »
Priorities

FEMA ADMINISTRATOR CRISWELL: "We are working with our state and local partners to ensure that our outreach and our messaging is also culturally responsive." pic.twitter.com/RyuU5K4S9g
    — Breaking911 (@Breaking911) August 14, 2023
Biden's FEMA head assures us WH's outreach to Maui victims is 'culturally responsive'
https://twitchy.com/dougp/2023/08/14/bidens-fema-head-reminds-us-their-outreach-and-messaging-to-maui-victims-is-culturally-responsive-n2386283

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2023, 05:22:40 PM »
Hawaii Gov. Josh Green warns '10 to 20' more Lahaina wildfire victims will be found dead each day as just 3% of the search area has been scoured - and says around 1,300 people are still missing
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12405621/Hawaii-Gov-Josh-Green-warns-10-20-Lahaina-wildfire-victims-dead-day-just-3-search-area-scoured-says-1-300-people-missing.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2023, 09:40:14 AM »

After a couple hours on the Rehoboth beach, @potus was asked about the rising death toll in Hawaii

He and his people no doubt view Hawaii as a completely reliable Democrat voting bloc, so why should he even go through the motions of caring? His handlers actually CAN take them for granted.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2023, 03:12:14 PM »
I blame Trump and the NRA.

You should have put that in "purple".  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2023, 03:29:53 PM »
You should have put that in "purple".  :facepalm:

I have to ask, purple?
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2023, 05:51:40 PM »

The Babylon Bee wasn't going to let that one get by them without a shot.

Biden's 'No Comment' Praised As Most Rational, Coherent Statement He's Made As President
https://babylonbee.com/news/bidens-no-comment-praised-as-most-sensical-statement-hes-made-as-president
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2023, 05:53:17 PM »
Tells you something when I have to tell this is from The Babylon Bee.
But like a lot of their stuff will become reality a week or two

Trump Indicted For Hawaii Wildfire
https://babylonbee.com/news/trump-indicted-for-hawaii-wildfire
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2023, 10:11:15 AM »
Space lasers, SpaceX, Oprah, and chem trails are among other things people are blaming the fire on.
So put on your  [tinfoil]

Out of this world! Why wild conspiracy theories spreading online that Maui wildfires were started by SPACE LASERS are completely bogus
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12411301/Maui-fire-space-laser-claims-false.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2023, 07:20:57 PM »
Note: Numbers are not official

Maui authorities are dramatically underplaying the number of people known to have died in the inferno that ripped through Lahaina last week - with locals telling DailyMail.com that the actual death toll is at least 480 and that morgues had run out of body bags.

The figure is quadruple that of the official number of 111 - and some of the relatives of the victims have been left to uncover the remains of their loved ones themselves due to the glacial progress of the search and recovery operation.

On Tuesday, Maui mayor Richard Bissen said just 25 per cent of the stricken town had been searched, although he expected that figure to increase to 85 per cent by Saturday.

EXCLUSIVE: Maui wildfires death toll climbs to 480 locals claim, as Hawaii morgue workers run out of body bags and survivors are left to recover the charred remains of their loved ones
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12420893/Maui-wildfires-death-toll-update.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2023, 04:15:18 PM »
Troublesome but correlation doesn't mean causation. But will be interesting what comes out and if the two are connected.

Access to water should be predicated on “conversations about equity,” according to the Hawaii official under fire for delaying access to water during the Maui wildfires.

M. Kaleo Manuel, former deputy director of the Hawaii Commission on Water Resource Management, waited for more than five hours to release water during the wildfires that devastated Maui, according to reports.

In a livestream debate hosted by the University of Hawaii last year, Manuel described water as a sacred god.

“Let water connect us and not divide us,” said Manuel, referring to water distribution on the island. “We can share it, but it requires true conversations about equity…How do we coexist with the resources we have?”
Hawaii official concerned with ‘equity’ delayed releasing water for more than 5 hours as wildfires raged: report
https://nypost.com/2023/08/19/hawaii-official-worried-about-equity-over-water/

Maui tragedy proves nobody who puts 'equity' first should be in charge of ANYTHING... EVER
https://twitchy.com/dougp/2023/08/19/another-tragic-story-proves-nobody-who-puts-equity-first-should-be-in-charge-of-anything-ever-n2386426

- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2023, 09:59:57 PM »
Space lasers, SpaceX, Oprah, and chem trails are among other things people are blaming the fire on.
So put on your  [tinfoil]

Out of this world! Why wild conspiracy theories spreading online that Maui wildfires were started by SPACE LASERS are completely bogus
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12411301/Maui-fire-space-laser-claims-false.html

Not lasers.  Puh-lease!  "Directed Energy Weapons"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2023, 10:52:58 PM »
Not lasers.  Puh-lease!  "Directed Energy Weapons"

I've always thought that .45 ACP and .30-06 direct energy fairly effectively.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2023, 09:32:16 AM »
Troublesome but correlation doesn't mean causation. But will be interesting what comes out and if the two are connected.
Hawaii official concerned with ‘equity’ delayed releasing water for more than 5 hours as wildfires raged: report
https://nypost.com/2023/08/19/hawaii-official-worried-about-equity-over-water/

Maui tragedy proves nobody who puts 'equity' first should be in charge of ANYTHING... EVER
https://twitchy.com/dougp/2023/08/19/another-tragic-story-proves-nobody-who-puts-equity-first-should-be-in-charge-of-anything-ever-n2386426

Enter the Babylon Bee

"When people begged for water to save their homes, their very lives - Mr. Manuel had the courage to stand firm and say 'No'," said President Biden. "That's the kind of climate change warrior this administration wants to honor."

Biden Awards Hawaii Official Medal Of Honor For Saving Water During Fire
https://babylonbee.com/news/biden-awards-hawaii-official-medal-of-freedom-for-saving-water-during-fire
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2023, 09:56:22 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2023, 09:24:39 PM »
From the above to CNN getting at the heart of the problem, capitalism!

‘Disaster capitalism at its finest’: Fights over water amid west Maui’s charred ruins ignite new fears
https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/21/us/hawaii-lahaina-water-wildfire/index.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2023, 08:18:28 AM »
JFC. I don't have a link but just saw on the news:

Biden made it all about him by talking about how he knows what it's like to almost lose a home because of that stupid kitchen fire where he "almost lost my '67 Corvette". Then he joked around with a corpse dog. And he still managed to look like a pissed off, sour old man during both clips, I guess because he had to interrupt yet another vacation.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2023, 08:23:39 AM »
Meanwhile they're pretty sure now the death toll will be going up to somewhere around 500, maybe more.
But that's okay, it wasn't Trump cracking jokes.

'Hot ground': Biden makes tone-deaf attempt at humor while FINALLY visiting fire-ravaged Maui
https://twitchy.com/amy/2023/08/21/hot-ground-biden-makes-tone-deaf-attempt-at-comedy-while-visiting-fire-ravaged-maui-n2386480
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 08:36:58 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2023, 09:18:02 AM »
JFC. I don't have a link but just saw on the news:

Biden made it all about him by talking about how he knows what it's like to almost lose a home because of that stupid kitchen fire where he "almost lost my '67 Corvette". Then he joked around with a corpse dog. And he still managed to look like a pissed off, sour old man during both clips, I guess because he had to interrupt yet another vacation.

Here ya go, you got to go to foreign media

Joe Biden sparks outrage by comparing Hawaiian blaze that killed at least 114 to a kitchen fire at his house after making tone-deaf 'hot ground' joke to rescuer
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12431209/Hawaii-fires-Joe-Biden-tour-joke-damage-deaths.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2023, 10:05:03 AM »
Here ya go, you got to go to foreign media

Joe Biden sparks outrage by comparing Hawaiian blaze that killed at least 114 to a kitchen fire at his house after making tone-deaf 'hot ground' joke to rescuer
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12431209/Hawaii-fires-Joe-Biden-tour-joke-damage-deaths.html

From the article: Maui has received $700 per person, Ukraine has received $1700 per person, and the latter has a lot more per persons. Hawaii might be voting a little less blue in 2024.

I've spent a lot of time in Hawaii, and while it's a deep blue state, I've also noticed a lot of patriotism, like flags, etc. there, and "Merry Christmas" is the common phrase in December. I think souring on Biden and cohorts is not an unexpected possibility.