Author Topic: I just fried up some bacon.What to do with the grease?  (Read 11395 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: I just fried up some bacon.What to do with the grease?
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2007, 03:00:17 PM »
"Yep it's the hormones, not the sedentary Nintendo- and internet-laden lifestyles, oversized dietary portions, and parents feeding them soft drinks and Twinkies to shut them up that does it."

Liar! The Rods of Ra PROVE that you're a liar!

I remember the first time I tasted a Twinkee.

I spit it out in disgust, and haven't eaten one since.

"So, you acknowledge that it causes mastitis, infertility and lameness in animals, yet is 'safe' for humans...."

Hey, did you know that being pregnant SIGNFICANTLY increases a woman's risk of mastitis, infertility, and lameness?

Put it back in your pants, boys, the Gov'mint's banning sperm...

"Believe what you will."

Yep, and I prefer to believe the Rods of Ra!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2007, 03:02:30 PM »
There was just some thing about soda that made it bad for folks. Sodium Benzoate, a preservative added to soft drinks. Seems it will alter the human genome and cause a lot of problems because the preservative somehow breaks down in the body into Benzene and some other stuff. It's the Benzene part that's dangerous. I've tapered off the sodas over the last few years (one-two/week) and dropped quite a few pounds. Don't know how that correlates, but I'll opt for Iced Tea more often than not and I eat a lot of the same stuff as before.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2007, 03:07:08 PM »
"Seems it will alter the human genome..."

Claimed, but still unproven.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2007, 03:30:50 PM »
There was just some thing about soda that made it bad for folks. Sodium Benzoate, a preservative added to soft drinks. Seems it will alter the human genome and cause a lot of problems because the preservative somehow breaks down in the body into Benzene and some other stuff. It's the Benzene part that's dangerous. I've tapered off the sodas over the last few years (one-two/week) and dropped quite a few pounds. Don't know how that correlates, but I'll opt for Iced Tea more often than not and I eat a lot of the same stuff as before.

Sodium benzoate and citric acid in time will create benzene, least that is what I have read. Benzene causes cancer.

IIRC citric acid is vitamin C, so some soda companies were trying the healthy approach to by saying their soda had vitamin C in it.

I see both ingredients on many different soda brands and flavors

-C

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2007, 03:37:38 PM »
The diet Coke I'm drinking right now has Potassium Benzoate in it.

Paddy

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2007, 04:08:13 PM »
The diet Coke I'm drinking right now has Potassium Benzoate in it.
Osteoporosis.  The potassium leaches calcium from the bones. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2007, 04:14:07 PM »
But I ALWAYS drink my malk, which has plenty of vitamin R!

I've been drinking soda heavily for years.

The bone scan I had about 2 years ago showed bone structure far denser than what is normally seen in men of my age and ethnic background.

I'n not worried.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2007, 04:14:49 PM »
A little bacon grease, some flour, pinch of baking powder, a little elbow grease, and ... VIOLA ... tortillas fit for a king!

Brad

Hey, never thought of using a musical instrument to make tortillas, but everybody has different tastes. grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2007, 05:26:40 PM »
Yes, you use the viola to pound the tortillas flat. I thought everybody knew that...  rolleyes

grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2007, 05:31:40 PM »
And, if you get the strength and rhythm of the strikes JUST right when you're flattening the tortillas, you can play the Largo section from Vivaldi's "Winter" concerto...

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2007, 09:53:01 PM »
IIRC citric acid is vitamin C, so some soda companies were trying the healthy approach to by saying their soda had vitamin C in it.

-C
Vitamin C is ascorbic acid, not citric acid.

Citric acid from wikipedia:
Citric acid is a weak organic acid found in citrus fruits. It is a good, natural preservative and is also used to add an acidic (sour) taste to foods and soft drinks. In biochemistry, it is important as an intermediate in the citric acid cycle and therefore occurs in the metabolism of almost all living things. It also serves as an environmentally friendly cleaning agent and acts as an antioxidant.
Its empirical chemical formula is C6H8O7

Ascorbic acid's chemical formula is very similar: C6H8O6 with one less oxygen atom in the molecule.

I knew that junior high school chemistry would come in handy some day.  It only took 35 years.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2007, 04:46:36 AM »

-C
Vitamin C is ascorbic acid, not citric acid.

Citric acid from wikipedia:
Citric acid is a weak organic acid found in citrus fruits. It is a good, natural preservative and is also used to add an acidic (sour) taste to foods and soft drinks. In biochemistry, it is important as an intermediate in the citric acid cycle and therefore occurs in the metabolism of almost all living things. It also serves as an environmentally friendly cleaning agent and acts as an antioxidant.
Its empirical chemical formula is C6H8O7

Ascorbic acid's chemical formula is very similar: C6H8O6 with one less oxygen atom in the molecule.

I knew that junior high school chemistry would come in handy some day.  It only took 35 years.

Yes it did, maybe its ascorbic acid and sodium benzoate that make benzene...  Robin to the Google Cave!

Google sez----  ascorbic acid
http://www.beveragedaily.com/news/ng.asp?n=66084-benzene-soft-drinks-aba

Soft drinks industry pledges to tackle benzene in drinks

By Chris Mercer

27/02/2006 - America's soft drinks association said it would have to look again at benzene in drinks, after new tests revealed to BeverageDaily.com suggest it and food safety authorities failed to stamp out a problem.

The American Beverage Association (ABA) pledged to "use every means necessary" to make all soft drinks makers aware that two common ingredients can react together to form benzene in drinks.
The ABA has been forced to re-visit the issue after America's Food and Drug Administration (FDA) revealed to BeverageDaily.com two weeks ago that it had found some soft drinks containing benzene above the legal limit for drinking water.

Benzene is listed by health authorities as a known carcinogen.

The news indicates a communication breakdown. Both the US soft drinks association and FDA knew 15 years ago that two ingredients - sodium benzoate and ascorbic acid (vitamin C) - could react together to form benzene in drinks, according to an internal FDA memo dated January 1991.

"15 years ago it was under control, but this is a fast-growing industry. There are a lot of new companies, a lot of new brands and things have changed," said ABA spokesperson Kevin Keane.

"A number of brands may not be aware of this," he said, adding there was, in any case, little health risk involved.

The FDA was re-alerted to the benzene issue in recent weeks by independent laboratory tests in New York.

The lawyer who commissioned the tests also told the ABA some of the results before Christmas. The association said Thursday it was not testing drinks itself "at this point".

The New York lab found some soft drinks with benzene levels several times above the World Health Organisation's 10 parts per billion (ppb) limit for drinking water. The FDA water limit is half that, while safety bodies in the EU use a limit of just 1ppb.

Perrier sparkling water and Britvic drinks were recalled at lower benzene levels in the 1990s.

The industry, however, has repeatedly argued that such levels posed little health risk to consumers. The ABA said people could get more benzene from the air they breathed.

Michael Knowles, director of scientific and regulatory affairs at Coca-Cola Europe, said soft drinks makers had learnt to control benzene formation in drinks containing ascorbic acid and sodium benzoate. "We know how it is formed and we know how we can minimise the formation."

Knowles said soft drinks companies made a value judgement to use sodium benzoate because of its strong ability to kill off bacteria in drinks. He said the preservative's benefits outweighed the risks and consumers needed to understand this.

Debate, nevertheless, has begun to focus on the effect of heat and light on the amount of benzene that could form from a reaction between sodium benzoate and ascorbic acid.

"Heat is a major factor," according to Mike Redman, an ABA scientist who also represented the industry in meetings with the FDA on benzene back in 1990/1991.

He said benzene levels would not rise significantly at room temperature, but could rise under extreme conditions.

It is thought that Cadbury Schweppes exposes drinks to heat in an incubator for a set period of time to monitor formulations. The group was unable to confirm this before publication.

Cadbury, alongside Australian drinks group Koala Springs, originally alerted the industry and FDA to a problem with sodium benzoate and ascorbic acid back in 1990. It also then led industry testing for benzene, before it and others reformulated some of their drinks.

The ABA's Mike Redman said the industry would now re-trace its steps. "We will review the 1990 reformulations to see if there's anything we have learnt since that time."

He said benzene formation could be best controlled by adjusting levels of sodium benzoate and ascorbic acid in the drinks.

Diet and sugar-free drinks are considered more at risk because sugar has been found to help block the reaction.

Glen Lawrence, another scientist who helped the FDA work out the problem with ascorbic acid and sodium benzoate in 1990, took a firmer stance:

"There is no good reason to add ascorbic acid (vitamin C) to soft drinks, and those that may have ascorbic acid naturally in them (juices) should not use sodium benzoate as a preservative. So it is really very easy to avoid the problem."

More than 1,500 soft drinks containing sodium benzoate and ascorbic acid or citric acid have been launched across Europe, North America and Latin America since January 2002.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2007, 10:02:47 AM »
I always thought it was the sodium benzoate that preserved my girlish good looks... oh, wait...I didn't mean that...never mind.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Paddy

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2007, 10:29:27 AM »
Yep, and I prefer to believe the Rods of Ra!
There are severe penalties for mocking Ra, not the least of which is violation by a donkey.  shocked  Just an fyi.............

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2007, 10:45:52 AM »
RA! RAH SISBOOMBAH!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RODS!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2007, 11:48:07 AM »
Note to self: avoid carbonated bacon grease

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2007, 11:49:45 AM »
I have a vision for the future...

Caffeinated bacon...

Baconated grapefruit

Admiral Crunch

Archduke Chocula...

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2007, 12:13:39 PM »
Put it on your battlements (ie, over your door) and boil would-be intruders.

Mike:  I've always wanted to start a line of ridiculous cereals.
Hershey Squirts...with real Hershey's chocolate!  Poo pile shaped thingies.  And also, kind of good for you.

Oh the world we'd live in were I rich.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2007, 12:30:29 PM »

Archduke Chocula...

I see the Count has made a name for himself.  grin

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2007, 02:47:11 PM »
Those couple of lines came right out of an early episode of Futurama where Fry is having a lot of trouble adjusting to the future.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2007, 02:57:18 PM »
haha now I remember that!
Another great part was when Fry got that old apartment full of old stuff (from his time) and sat around listening to music and watching TV.
The song "Big Butts" came on while everyone was trying to convince him to get back to work, and Hermy said "You can't just sit around listening to classical music all day!"
Funny stuff.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2007, 03:54:38 PM »
""You can't just sit around listening to classical music all day!"

Yeah, I remember that, too!  grin

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2007, 05:25:36 PM »
Diet and sugar-free drinks are considered more at risk because sugar has been found to help block the reaction.[\quote]

Not only that, but most diet soft drinks contain aspartame, which turns into methanol (if I remember correctly) at temps above 96 degrees F.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2007, 05:34:08 PM »
Diet and sugar-free drinks are considered more at risk because sugar has been found to help block the reaction.[\quote]

Not only that, but most diet soft drinks contain aspartame, which turns into methanol (if I remember correctly) at temps above 96 degrees F.

great my sugar free gun is going to make me go blind!

Uranus is a gas giant.