Author Topic: Voter ID  (Read 2708 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Voter ID
« on: August 12, 2013, 05:39:57 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/08/12/north-carolina-governor-signs-extensive-voter-id-law/

Democrats and minority groups have been fighting against the changes, arguing that they represent an effort to suppress the minority vote and the youth vote, along with reducing Democrats’ advantage in early voting. They point out that there is little documented evidence of voter fraud.

What am I missing? Why (other than the obvious reasons, which they won't admit to) do the liberals think it's a bad idea for people who are casting votes as citizens to be asked to show that they are (a) who they say they are, and (b) actually are citizens who are eligible to vote?

All this furor about and opposition to voter ID is baffling to me. I've been a registered voter for over fifty years. To the best of my recollection, I have always had to show ID in order to vote, and I wouldn't want it any other way. I want my vote to be MY vote.

I know why the Dems don't like it, but I can't even begin to comprehend why/how any court could find fault with asking a prospective voter to demonstrate that he/she is who they say they are and they are eligible to vote.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Voter ID
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:46:10 PM »
Seems to me that a "reasonable restriction" would be:

- take a class
- undergo a background check
- pay for a permit to vote

:police:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 05:54:55 PM »
Something to annoy everyone:

I don't get "You should show ID to buy a gun, but not to vote." That makes no sense. Unless you are Simo Häyhä, your vote has killed far more people than any single firearm.

Voted for Bush? You killed 100k plus civvies in collateral damage. Voted for Obama? You have a kill ratio of 50 civvies for every one suspected terrorist. Not saying it's good or bad, just how it is and that folks should see it as such. Your vote means blood on your hands. Outsourcing the execution it doesn't remove your culpability.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 06:40:05 PM »
Or show an ID to cash a check or get money from a Western Union transfer.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 07:02:18 PM »
Something to annoy everyone:

I don't get "You should show ID to buy a gun, but not to vote." That makes no sense. Unless you are Simo Häyhä, your vote has killed far more people than any single firearm.

Voted for Bush? You killed 100k plus civvies in collateral damage. Voted for Obama? You have a kill ratio of 50 civvies for every one suspected terrorist. Not saying it's good or bad, just how it is and that folks should see it as such. Your vote means blood on your hands. Outsourcing the execution it doesn't remove your culpability.

You didn't annoy me  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 07:21:57 PM »
Two options for those capable of fogging a mirror

Option 1 -- State (not federal) issued photo identification card as the irreducible minimum to vote
OR
Option 2 -- Abolition of the use of ID throughout American society.

Pick one.

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 09:26:40 AM »
When I've registered to vote I have received a "voter ID card", a simple card with my name, address, precinct # and the address of my polling location.
That is all I need to produce to get a ballot and vote.
The alternative is to present a state issued photo ID.
Make it simple, when a person registers to vote* they get a voter ID card, either they show that or a state issued photo ID to vote.

Must provide proof of residency in order to register to make sure they get to vote in the right precinct.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 02:59:43 PM »
 because "it's the obvious reason they won't admit to? "

Why argue on a false premise? They want to cheat, we know they want to cheat, they use cheating and mis direction as a way of life so ingrained they don't even realize they are cheating, and that is that.

There are so few citizens in this country without ID that I suspect it is well below the margin of error in counting votes.

A person can literally not live in the modern age without some ID- virtually everything requires it.

I would love to see them produce a citizen without ID, and then find out how many things they do every day that require ID.  Rent a room, rent a car, buy a car. take a flight, any government or medical event- everything takes ID.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 11:43:10 PM »
  I would love to see them produce a citizen without ID, and then find out how many things they do every day that require ID.  Rent a room, rent a car, buy a car. take a flight, any government or medical event- everything takes ID.

I'm going to write our AG and suggest just that.  Make them produce one, just one, person without an ID - and verify that person has never had an ID.  If they can't produce or said person did have an ID at one time, STFU.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
Why argue on a false premise? They want to cheat, we know they want to cheat, they use cheating and mis direction as a way of life so ingrained they don't even realize they are cheating, and that is that.
QFT. Remember the last election when a group of precincts in Philadelphia voted 19,605 to 0 for Obama over Romney?  Remember the collective <yawn> from the media over that result?

You could add to the list cash a check, access a bank account, get a job, use a credit card, or buy a gun.  This would be a good topic for a John Stossel resport . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 09:19:13 AM »

"Why argue on a false premise? They want to cheat, we know they want to cheat, they use cheating and mis direction as a way of life so ingrained they don't even realize they are cheating, and that is that."

^^^This. ^^^
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Voter ID
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 09:27:07 AM »
Lived from 1982 to 2000 with no id. Worked in dc got cleared to secure buildings and flew on airplanes. Flew once affter 911 no id

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »
Lived from 1982 to 2000 with no id. Worked in dc got cleared to secure buildings and flew on airplanes. Flew once affter 911 no id

damn phone

Really ....?  =|

I can't remember when all the I-9 BS started.  But these days you're not going to get anything except a cash under the table job without ID, birth certificate, etc.  A couple years ago my company made me produce all that stuff all over again even thought they had it on file from 5+ years ago.  ;/

Heck, it is harder now to open a bank account than it is to buy a gun.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 01:56:33 PM »
Really ....?  =|

I can't remember when all the I-9 BS started.  But these days you're not going to get anything except a cash under the table job without ID, birth certificate, etc.  A couple years ago my company made me produce all that stuff all over again even thought they had it on file from 5+ years ago.  ;/

Heck, it is harder now to open a bank account than it is to buy a gun.

yup it got progressively harder

you should seen when i applied for mortgage
17 year blank spot
wifes credit carried me
mortgage guy was weirded out
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 05:42:27 PM »
arguing that they represent an effort to suppress the minority vote and the youth vote
Because if you're nonwhite, you can ignore laws that require an ID to open a bank account, and SOPs from utility companies that demand a valid bank account/card before they'll let you set up gas/water/electric?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 07:25:42 PM »
because "it's the obvious reason they won't admit to? "

^^^This^^^

It's got *expletive deleted*ck all to do with folks not being able to cast their vote, and everything to do with being able to cast votes that shouldn't be cast by people who shouldn't be casting them.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 08:56:02 PM »
^^^This^^^

It's got *expletive deleted* all to do with folks not being able to cast their vote, and everything to do with being able to cast votes that shouldn't be cast by people who shouldn't be casting them.

Welcome to Chicago !!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.