Author Topic: Cruz Citizenship and Republicans  (Read 2203 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Cruz Citizenship and Republicans
« on: January 07, 2016, 01:00:57 PM »
Apparently several prominent Republicans are making comments regarding Cruz being eligible for the presidency. I'm not sure that's a rabbit hole they want to go down, for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is "eating their own". Nothing like further splintering the base. Party of stupid indeed.

On another note, because of the below tweet, a bunch of morons claim that Trump thinks Paris is in Germany. Hello failed education system that doesn't teach people what a period means. I'm still not a Trump supporter, but please, I'm guessing the guy has been to both the city of Paris and the country of Germany hundreds of times.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Man shot inside Paris police station. Just announced that terror threat is at highest level. Germany is a total mess-big crime. GET SMART!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Cruz Citizenship and Republicans
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 01:31:52 PM »
Saw McCain making noises about Cruz's eligibility.  I guess he'd rather see Hillary in the White House than a conservative.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 01:34:30 PM »
Saw McCain making noises about Cruz's eligibility.  I guess he'd rather see Hillary in the White House than a conservative.

Heck, no guesses about it. I truly believe that other than Jeb, he'd prefer Hillary over any of the current Republican contenders. Status quo of the establishment and all that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 02:01:01 PM »
#*let's not go there*.

That is all.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 02:09:56 PM »
Heck, no guesses about it. I truly believe that other than Jeb, he'd prefer Hillary over any of the current Republican contenders. Status quo of the establishment and all that.
That last part is truth.  They are beholden to supporters/contributors that like the current system and don't want any risk of a leader who might change anything. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 06:33:56 PM »
So let me get this straight:

We're worried about whether a candidate's birth disqualifies them from the presidency now?

It's not racist this time? Just trying to keep the rules straight.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 07:14:39 PM »
Is he (Cruz) eligible? 
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 08:07:10 PM »
Probably?

He was born in Canada.  His mother was American. According to our citizenship laws he was an American the instant he was born.

Is that a "Natural Born Citizen"?  Harvard Law seems to think so.  http://harvardlawreview.org/2015/03/on-the-meaning-of-natural-born-citizen/

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 12:28:18 AM »
McCain is a hypocritical bastard who ought to know better, given that his eligibility was also questioned during his presidential run because he was born in Panama.  ;/
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 06:47:27 AM »
I just don't understand why so many people think that "natural-born citizen" has something to do with geography. But I must admit it makes as much sense as believing that a foreigner, born to foreign parents, becomes a U.S. citizen by accident of birthplace. Which is no sense at all. Perhaps we should change one of those laws, to avoid the contradiction. And for other reasons.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 07:15:10 AM »
Hear Fiorina is jumping on this, questioning why Cruz waited until 2014 to give up his dual citizenship.  Blood in the water, I guess...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 07:20:46 AM »
Hear Fiorina is jumping on this, questioning why Cruz waited until 2014 to give up his dual citizenship.  Blood in the water, I guess...

I agree with Fiorina.  I'm opposed to dual citizenship, especially for politicians.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 08:07:06 AM »
McCain is a hypocritical bastard who ought to know better, given that his eligibility was also questioned during his presidential run because he was born in Panama.  ;/
McCain, seems to be in the early stages of dementia. Think of Reid about 10 years ago. =( pity he didn't stepdown with his record intact.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 08:24:17 AM »
I agree with Fiorina.  I'm opposed to dual citizenship, especially for politicians.

Meh. He renounced his Canadian citizenship two years before the election? Complaining about it now just makes one seem petty. And desperate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 11:44:00 AM »

But he was born in American territory in the Panama Canal Zone.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 11:47:11 AM »
Expect a lot more of this as the Primary season goes on.

Considering Cruz is willing to openly and honestly state that he does not support the Ethanol Mandate going into the Iowa caucuses says tons about his character, and that there are no sacred cows he's unwilling to slaughter, on either the Left's or the Right's side of the aisle.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 02:16:56 PM »
That would be when he was running for Senate?

I guess I would ask if he took advantage of dual citizenship before that or if it was just something that was there. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 09:49:59 PM »
But he was born in American territory in the Panama Canal Zone.

Didn't stop people from trying to say it disqualified him.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 10:06:11 PM »
I guess I would ask if he took advantage of dual citizenship before that or if it was just something that was there. 

Taking advantage how?

I don't see what the problem would be, aside from the theoretical one of holding allegiance to a foreign power (to the extent that Canada is foreign, or a power). If there's evidence he put Canada's interest above America's, I guess there's something to criticize. Aside from that, yeah, he probably should have put the issue to bed in 2012. A real scandal, that.

But if there's some other nefarious way in which he might have taken advantage, that would be good to know.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 10:29:12 PM »
Didn't stop people from trying to say it disqualified him.

Of course not. Phucktards who don't know the Constitution. There will always be those.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.