Author Topic: Roman Numerals  (Read 3430 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Roman Numerals
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 12:05:40 PM »
It is 'learning' which is a verb that is, supposedly, automatically absorbed by a disenterested audience by habitual repetition.

If IIXXVVI reads 1956 (?),  and the Engineering Legions used that numbering system for division and multiplication, it is amazing that they were able to engineer and then build the things that they did.

salty

MCMLVI

If yours was anywhere close to correct it might be One Nine Fifteen Six as a string of numbers - which the Romans did in fact write - in order, I remain convinced, for the sole purpose of frustrating and confounding young scholars who were trying to figure out why Julius' gall bladder was cut into three parts.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 12:41:15 PM »
They are easier than Romulan numerals
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 12:51:47 PM »
Shouldn't that be IIXXLVI?

No,  VVXXXXXLXXXXXVIIIIIIIIVXXX½
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 03:19:25 PM »
bedlamite offered:

"They are easier than Romulan numerals" with a link to:

http://www.languagesandnumbers.com/how-to-count-in-romulan/en/romulan/

•Digits from zero to nine are specific words: lliu
  • , hwi [1], kre [2], sei [3], mne [4], rhi [5], fve [6], lli [7], the [8], and lhi [9].
So I wondered what they did/do/will do about decimal points, and I put these into the translator:

pi: sehu-dha’mne dhei khu-rha’lhi
e: kra’lli dhei khu-thha’kre

ln(pi): dha’hwi sei-dhei mnhu-mnha’lli sei-dhei kru-lha’the kre-dhei thhu-rha’the kre-dhei mnhu-lha’mne kre-dhei hwi dhei llu-mnha’hwi mnhe-dhei mnhu-seha’mne sei-dhei kru-lla’sei kre-dhei rhu-dha’sei dhei rhu-seha’hwi

To save  you the trouble, that's 1.1447298858494001741434273513531.

Took a while for the translator to come back with an answer, though.  Probably actually means "What the hell are you asking things like that for, you idiot?"

Hm.

So to isolate what they used for a decimal indication, I put .5 in the translater and it returned "rhi," which is just the numeral 5, no indication of a decimal point.

No wonder even the far eastern countries use arabic numerals.  At least the Romulans had/have/will have a zero.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:52:37 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2014, 03:29:22 PM »
Learned them in grade school, about an hour's learning session and an hour's practice.  Didn't really forget them but about a month ago realized I had a significant Roman numeral on my license plate.

I guess for a zero, you just use " "...

Mull, mull, think, think....

"How many .38 caliber revolvers do you own?"

"I dunno, maybe III or IV. VI if you count my II IXmms as XXXVIIIs."

"OK, just wondered.  How many fifty-caliber machine guns do you own?"

" ."

Terry

I recall learning that the concept of zero was relatively new, and considered quite scandalous at the time it was introduced.
7-11 was a part time job.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2014, 03:13:11 AM »
I recall learning that the concept of zero was relatively new, and considered quite scandalous at the time it was introduced.

You whipper snappers and your fancy zero. In my day we just had nothing.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 10:47:41 AM »
^ :rofl:  And even that was a hand-me-down from your brother.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 10:57:26 AM »
When I was a kid, we were too poor to pay attention.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2014, 03:42:46 PM »

When they tried to give the guy that invented the zero an award he said, "Eh, it was nothing."
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 06:45:47 PM »
Reminds me of the old joke about how come programmers only have nine fingers.

"Here, count them... zero, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine.  See?"

Terry, 230RN

Pic credit in properties.  Joke credit anonymous.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 06:57:48 PM by 230RN »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2014, 07:38:06 PM »
^^^^ I have A fingers  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin