Author Topic: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  (Read 2909 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
« on: May 23, 2012, 09:50:18 PM »
That's precisely the sound I made just a few minutes ago.

I spent 300 bucks on a set of Eminence speakers for my guitar rig. 2 "Swamp Thang's" and 2 "Texas Heat's"

600 total Watts of crunchy, metal-y goodness.

I was installing them in the cabinet. I decided it was a good idea to use a power drill to screw them in.

The power drill slipped, and i watched, helpless, as the driver ripped through the cone of one of them in excruciating slow motion.

Dammit.

Dammit dammit dammit.

And, I have practice sunday, so I had to order another one for 75 bucks, and pay 21 dollars to ensure it gets here before practice.

DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!

DAMMIT

Needless to say, the other three went in with a good old fashioned screwdriver.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:56:19 PM »
i feel your pain.   i did the same thing on my first bass cabinet..  mine was a perfect hole just inside the edge,  i ended up repairing it with some light fabric and rubber cement.  i don't think it would be as easy for aguitar speaker.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:01:22 PM »
i feel your pain.   i did the same thing on my first bass cabinet..  mine was a perfect hole just inside the edge,  i ended up repairing it with some light fabric and rubber cement.  i don't think it would be as easy for aguitar speaker.

I play so loud, and with so much gain, that I don't think a repair would hold up
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 11:00:32 PM »
Can't you just get a speaker from Radio Shack?

Just kidding. I'm sorry about the speaker. I'm finding out just how expensive they can be.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 11:09:01 PM »
I have done that before, and nearly done it dozens of times more. It's one of those things.

Did it go through the cone or just the surround? If it's just the surround, you can probably fix it up with some contact cement, and you'll never hear it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 07:22:32 AM »
I was a real audiophile before my hearing started to go and repaired many a speaker cone with rubber cement and onionskin paper but I never drove them that hot.  I had one cat who thought it was fun to bat at the moving cones as well as other accidents when you have two kids running around loose and you forget to replace the grill cloth when done listening.  The grill cloth made a faint but annoying whispering noise.

As well as other accidents.

I feel your pain, too, and it's one of those things where just about 150 milliseconds before something like this happens, the thought that you shouldn't be doing this just barely starts to form in your mind, and then... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

"Tinnitus Terry," 230RN
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:32:31 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 08:04:41 AM »
Since i already have the speaker on the way, i'm going to let  a friend of mine attempt to repair it. If it's successful and sounds ok, i'm going to try to put it on ebay and get at least something for it... or maybe keep it as a spare.

Ugh. I'm so mad at myself.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 10:31:33 AM »
Ugh. I'm so mad at myself.

I think we've all had similar things happen to us. We feel your pain. =(
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 10:47:42 AM »
I used to be big into car stereos and drilled in a lot of screws right next to speakers like that.  I slipped once as well so I definitely feel your pain.  After that one time I would put my hand over the speaker surround so the screw was right next to the web between my finger and thumb.  I literally would have preferred to jab the spinning driver into the meat of my hand than a speaker cone or surround, but for some reason I never slipped again after taking up that habit.

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 12:11:19 PM »
Kevlar cloth.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 12:12:02 PM »
I used to be big into car stereos and drilled in a lot of screws right next to speakers like that.  I slipped once as well so I definitely feel your pain.  After that one time I would put my hand over the speaker surround so the screw was right next to the web between my finger and thumb.  I literally would have preferred to jab the spinning driver into the meat of my hand than a speaker cone or surround, but for some reason I never slipped again after taking up that habit.

That's what i did for the three remaining speakers. I would rather stab myself with a screwdriver than replace another speaker. I also used a manual screwdriver this time instead of the drill.

In other news, the speakers i bought should be amazing. 2 eminence 150W texas heats and two swamp thangs in an X pattern. Should have some BRUTAL tone!
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 12:15:13 PM »
Try it ripped, if it's good enough for the original Black Sabbath...  ;)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 11:17:03 PM »
I play so loud, and with so much gain, that I don't think a repair would hold up

"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 11:29:12 AM »
I do have to say, while I can feel your pain, the title of your thread just makes me picture Darth Vader screwing up his speakers...

You know, that might be a good skit for Chad Vader.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 11:30:18 AM »
Luke. I am your woofer.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo

Look into your output transformer. You know it to be true.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog