Author Topic: 2004 is here again  (Read 6336 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
2004 is here again
« on: May 25, 2011, 02:26:14 PM »
Is this election shaping up to be another 2004? Back then we had a president that fired up the opposition, while being a disappointment to his own base. A slew of candidates attempted to capitalize on this, and one of the most interesting (Dean) imploded spectacularly. In the end, a dry dustball was nominated, who failed to excite enough of a following.

I think it is turning out, and will turn out, the same.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: 2004 is here again
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 02:53:05 PM »
It will if we nominate our own boring, flip-flopping, obviously fake candidate.

(I'm looking at YOU, Mr. Romney.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

SteveT

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »
Is this election shaping up to be another 2004? Back then we had a president that fired up the opposition, while being a disappointment to his own base. A slew of candidates attempted to capitalize on this, and one of the most interesting (Dean) imploded spectacularly. In the end, a dry dustball was nominated, who failed to excite enough of a following.

I think it is turning out, and will turn out, the same.

Who would Dean be in this analogy?   

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 04:50:09 PM »

Some component of the Rudy McRomney beast.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SteveT

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 06:21:33 PM »
so they are the most interesting?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 06:44:30 PM »
Perhaps all this proves is that most people prefer to stick with the devil they know?

Inertia is the best campaign strategy of all, and if Obama, with his execrable record, wins again he can thank Inertia more than anything.  Unfortunately, inertia is looking more like entropy all the time.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 09:14:09 PM »

I think Trump and Gingrich combined make a Republican Dean.

SteveT

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 10:00:11 PM »
Dean was a candidate who fit the left base perfectly, generated a lot of excitement and as you said imploded.  Albeit with a LOT of help from the Media.

I don't see people really being that fired up about Trump or Gingrich.   

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 10:12:25 PM »
We could elect Ron Paul this time. Do you think, with the TSA stuff in the past 4 years, that he has any more chance than the last time?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 10:15:42 PM »
We could elect Ron Paul this time. Do you think, with the TSA stuff in the past 4 years, that he has any more chance than the last time?

No. If anything, he has less of a chance. In fact, were I advising Ron Paul, I would ask him not to run.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 10:26:53 PM »
Dean was a candidate who fit the left base perfectly, generated a lot of excitement and as you said imploded.  Albeit with a LOT of help from the Media.

I don't see people really being that fired up about Trump or Gingrich.   

Believe it or not, people were pretty excited about Trump. People really are that starved for straight talk from outside the beltway, even if it does come from an obnoxious guy that's half businessman, half showman, and all talk.

Gingrich was the imploding part, because of the whole Gingrich v. Ryan kerfuffle.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 10:35:32 PM »
No. If anything, he has less of a chance. In fact, were I advising Ron Paul, I would ask him not to run.

As much as I like the man and his views, I have to agree with you.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SteveT

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 10:50:30 PM »
Sorry, I just don't see Trump being comparable to Dean.   Besides with the way he enter/exit(ed) the race he's anything but straightforward.   Plus, he's not actually a billionaire.   Releasing his financials would have made him look terrible.   

And Gingrich imploding?   I think that's a standard thing he just does, like every 3 days.   Kinda like ole faithful.   He must be hell on his handlers, not to mention his loved ones.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 11:03:50 PM »

This, I don't understand.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 11:24:42 PM »
This, I don't understand.

Drugs, prostitution, etc. One interview and he's done for with ma & pa kettle.  :'(
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 12:04:17 AM »
Sorry, I just don't see Trump being comparable to Dean.   Besides with the way he enter/exit(ed) the race he's anything but straightforward.   Plus, he's not actually a billionaire.   Releasing his financials would have made him look terrible.   

Sigh. I just meant that they were zany candidates who said a lot of undiplomatic things. When I said "straight talk," I meant that Trump did not mince words. I did not mean to imply that he was something other than an opportunist parading as a Tea Partyer. Which, of course, he was.

As for his financials making him look terrible, I thought it was the hair.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 01:02:25 AM »
I do not understand conservative hatred of Obama - his policies are identical in every significant respect to GW Bush's.  Literally.

Republicans should be pleased - they got their pick re-elected for a third term, and even got leftists to vote him in.

When historians review this period, they will have to deal with bush and obama in the same book - there's no rational basis for drawing a line between the two.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 01:03:47 AM »
I do not understand conservative hatred of Obama - his policies are identical in every significant respect to GW Bush's.  Literally.

Your sentence contains its own explanation.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 01:21:11 AM »
I do not understand conservative hatred of Obama.

There's a surprise.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 01:22:27 AM »
When historians review this period, they will have to deal with bush and obama in the same book - there's no rational basis for drawing a line between the two.

Well, there are the little problems of exploding the budget deficits far beyond Bush's worst of $400 billion, ramming through the "Patient Protection and Affordable Care" act against the wishes of the public, handing Chrysler and GM to his union cronies, handing nearly all of the $1 trillion "stimulus" to public sector unions and workers, abandoning Israel, shunning Britain, cutting off new drilling for oil, imposing a freeze on drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, 10% unemployment (5.6% was the worst under Bush, IIRC), worsening race relations, Rahm Emmanuel,  Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan, Van Jones, and a few other missteps.

Other than that, GW and Obama are pretty much indistinguishable.  ;/

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 02:00:26 AM »
What they share is an enmity toward and betrayal of the American middle-class.  But whereas Bush is a corporatist Obama represents the global underclass.  Mr Inside and Mr Outside.  Do they serve the same masters?  Well, I guess we'll find that out, won't we?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 07:42:06 AM »
Believe it or not, people were pretty excited about Trump.
I find this very sad, as folks succumbed to his ridiculous marketing ploy for his TV show.

He had no platform, no substance, and was a large vessel of hot air and BS.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 08:21:44 AM »
Barack W. Obama vs. Mitt F. McDole

What could possibly go wrong  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 09:00:01 AM »

Republicans should be pleased - they got their pick re-elected for a third term, and even got leftists to vote him in.

I do not understand liberal hatred of Bush- his policies are identical in every significant respect to Bill Clinton's.  Literally.

Democrats should be pleased- they got their pick re-elected for a third and fourth term, and even got conservatives to vote for him.

When historians review this period, they will have to deal with clinton and bush in the same book - there's no rational basis for drawing a line between the two.

As support I give you: medicare part D, no child left behind (written by Ted Kennedy!!), continuing Clinton's policy of regime change in Iraq, massive government intervention in the markets in 2008, etc...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 09:31:39 AM »
Monkeyleg, you named policies that either were bush policies (bailing ou the autos - not the unions, which did not happen), or that arent obama policies (the trillion in stimulus was not a public sector union gift, that's absurd).

Makattak, you are on the money - precisely one of the things that drive me insane when bush haters got nostalgic for the Clinton days.  Guantanamo had its origins in the Clinton admin, as did Iraq. So did the unregulated mess that led to the financial collapse - something monkelyeg should consider when he bemoans obamas unemployment figures.  Of course Obama deserves no break, but that's because he's merely continuing the same failed policies.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."