Author Topic: NSF Waste...  (Read 7587 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: NSF Waste...
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 11:25:57 AM »
M&Ms required government funded research?  :O ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »
And who invented and funded "the government?"
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 02:42:26 PM »
M&Ms required government funded research?  :O ;/

WWII
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 02:58:36 PM »
M&Ms required WW2.  OK.   I thought our infantry grunts only had chocolate bars and cigarettes .... :facepalm: :lol:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 04:07:53 PM »
If it wasn't for Government throwing money at Science and Industry we would be without a lot of things we take for granted.
Lets see....
The computer, duct tape, velcro, freeze dried food, M&M's, Internet, Nylon, Polyester, Kevlar, Carbon Fiber, etc.

And Tang  =D
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 06:02:35 PM »
And Tang  =D

Yes glorious TANG!

I think SPAM may have come about because war spending also (WWI?), not sure about that.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 06:06:50 PM »
You sure about the M&M's thing? That sounds a bit too much like the Fisher Space Pen myth.

IIRC, Hershey's did get money to figure out how to prevent chocolate bars from melting in higher temperatures so they could be included in rations for soldiers heading to warmer climates, like in the Pacific or Northern Africa, though. You sure you're not mixing those two up?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
You sure about the M&M's thing? That sounds a bit too much like the Fisher Space Pen myth.

IIRC, Hershey's did get money to figure out how to prevent chocolate bars from melting in higher temperatures so they could be included in rations for soldiers heading to warmer climates, like in the Pacific or Northern Africa, though. You sure you're not mixing those two up?

Okay I needed to look this up because I might be confused a bit

The guy who invented M&M's got the idea during the Franco Spanish war when he saw soldiers eating candy covered chocolate bars. He noticed that the candy coating kept the chocolate from melting. He made something similar and Mars started candy production in 1941 and the US military jumped all over them for the troops fighting in WWII. Because the soldier had them in WWII they became very popular in the postwar era. So I guess it wasn't exactly a result of government support research but military spending that made this product very popular.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:08:46 PM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2011, 06:27:50 PM »
After researching the Hershey thing, it isn't apparent that they got money for R&D for that either, though the US Military did approach Hershey and ask for them to develop it.

It also looks like it wasn't all that popular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_chocolate
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2011, 08:18:47 PM »
The Roman Empire outlasted Caligula by 4-8 centuries, depending on the count. If Obama is Caligula, I think we're pretty well off.

Who says the Roman Empire really ended?  From what I can see we're having a pretty bad run of Emperors.

"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2011, 08:26:43 PM »
If it wasn't for Government throwing money at Science and Industry we would be without a lot of things we take for granted.

Lets see....

The computer, duct tape, velcro, freeze dried food, M&M's, Internet, Nylon, Polyester, Kevlar, Carbon Fiber, etc.

Interesting how world wars can concentrate the mind, isn't it?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 03:01:55 PM »
You mean shrimp farming is vitally important yet shrimp farmers couldn't pull together the money needed to conduct a private study?

They could, but they wouldn't, so the government does it for them in taxes and releases the results to the public so everybody can benefit from it.

Lets see....

Atomic energy, GPS...

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2011, 07:39:52 AM »
I'll just leave this here.  =D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMO8Pyi3UpY
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2011, 08:27:12 AM »
So, there is a long list of successful products that were helped in some way by government funds or effort. Is there a list of failures?  Which group has used more money?

As for the food products, I don't see how that benefits the individual since the individual must pay for the M&Ms out of his own pocket. GPS and the interstate highway system are better examples of government projects that benefit everyone.

Even with all of the success stories, should the tax payer's money be used to fund these projects even though they may not be successful or may benefit select groups of people instead of the country as a whole? Should we still fund these projects even if over the next 10 years every project fails? 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?