Author Topic: Autopen a legal signature?  (Read 4483 times)

HankB

• friend
Autopen a legal signature?
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:04:33 PM »
I heard on the radio that part of the Patriot Act were renewed by the Congress and sent to the President's desk, but that since he was out of town, the documents were signed via "autopen."

I remember Cheney (or was it Rumsfeld?) got criticized for using an autopen to sign condolence letters to the next of kin of servicemen who were killed in the line of duty . . . it's just a mechanical gizmo.

So . . . is it legal to replace POTUS with a robot when it comes to signing a bill into law?  ???
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:56:05 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Autopen a legal signature?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:20:45 PM »
ApOTUS ???
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 03:28:10 PM »
ToTUS has a pen attachment now?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 03:35:11 PM »
ToTUS has a pen attachment now?

Winner.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 04:57:07 PM »
So . . . is it legal to replace POTUS with a robot when it comes to signing a bill into law?  ???

I'm OK with it, as long as the robot replaces the current POTUS for all other duties.

I bet he gives better speeches, too.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 05:07:51 PM »
This seems like a manufactured issue to me.  The important thing is his decision to veto it or to sign it, not how the signature is attached.  And in any case, if he hadn't signed it, it would have become law anyway.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 05:24:48 PM »
That may be true of some State Governors, but I believe the President not signing a bill is known as a "pocket veto."   Oops.  Incorrect.  See Regolith's following post.  Glad I used the cop-out "I believe."

For myself, as long as the electronic sig is secure and he directed an assistant to affix it to the documents, it's legit.  I used to send important emails with my full name, and "(signed)" next to my sig. 

Nobody ever bellyached about it, and if a notary were to ask if I acknowledged that as my signature, I'd have said yes.

Same kind of problem occured many years ago when real estate contracts began to be faxed back and forth and other electronic "short cuts" began to be taken in business.  The law referred to "original signed copies" being given to the buyer or seller.  Minor brouhaha about that until the Real Estate Commission, with certain cautious reservations, called acknowledged faxes and "Xeroxed" copies "duplicate originals," and mailed documents were considered to have been "placed in the channels of communication" when placed in the mailbox, hence effective at that point.  (This all circa 1970s.)

A manufactured argument, as someone said.  Might as well claim your electronically-taken fingerprints are not "fingerprints."  Try that in court. (TIC)

But the question begs a discussion of all kinds of e-transmitted documents, images, etc.

"X" (Terry, 230RN, his signature.)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:58:54 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 08:06:34 PM »
That may be true of some State Governors, but I believe the President not signing a bill is known as a "pocket veto."

Nope:

The U.S. Constitution limits the President's period for decision on whether to sign or veto any legislation to ten days (not including Sundays) while the United States Congress is in session. If the President does nothing during this period while Congress remains in session, the unsigned bill becomes law. However, if Congress cuts short this period by adjourning and the President does not sign the bill, then the bill dies. This latter outcome is known as the "pocket veto." Article 1, Section 7 of the U.S. Constitution states:

If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the same shall be a Law, in like manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its return, in which case it shall not be a Law.

Since Congress cannot vote while in adjournment, a pocket veto cannot be overridden (but see below). James Madison became the first president to use the pocket veto in 1812.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 09:34:02 PM »
Trifles, mere trifles I say.

Besides, Congress will be replaced with AI in another ten years.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 10:26:14 PM »

Nonsense.  Intelligence of any kind is not permitted on Congress.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 11:09:58 PM »

Oh, Snapple.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 12:40:39 AM »

:lol: :lol:

"All Congresses and Parliaments have a kindly feeling for idiots, and a compassion for them, on account of personal experience and heredity."
- Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 06:39:21 PM »

In that case AI would stand for Artificial Idiocy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 01:01:25 AM »
So . . . is it legal to replace POTUS with a robot when it comes to signing a bill into law?  ???

The way I look at it, if no notary in their right mind would notarize the signature, then it shouldn't be legal.  I could see a notary approving the use of an autopen to sign a whole stack of documents if the "signer" is present, but "phoning in a signature" is ridiculous.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 02:11:42 PM »
Can the president, TOTUSp, use a limited power of attorney?  Is that allowed, constitutionally speaking?

I used a power of attorney to sign my for my wife when she couldn't be present for our house closing paperwork.   Is something like that available to TOTUSp?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 03:20:03 AM »
Can the president, TOTUSp, use a limited power of attorney?  Is that allowed, constitutionally speaking?

I used a power of attorney to sign my for my wife when she couldn't be present for our house closing paperwork.   Is something like that available to TOTUSp?

It's called a delegation in this context, and there are lots of rules about what can and can't be delegated.  Not sure what applies to this off the top of my head.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 04:15:03 AM »
It's called a delegation in this context, and there are lots of rules about what can and can't be delegated.  Not sure what applies to this off the top of my head.

Since it's a Constitutionally specified process, I wouldn't think that any change could be enacted without an Amendment.  Thus, only Article 2 and Amendment 25 provide for a President's "Inability to discharge the Powers and Duties of the said Office."  Amendment 25 clarifies that he need only notify the President Pro Tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House in writing of his temporary inability to discharge the duties of his office in order for the Vice President to take up those duties.  Being out of the country when the duty requires him to be physically present would certainly seem to qualify.  (IMO, they should have written this to be automatically invoked whenever the President leaves the country.  If nothing else, it would discourage a lot of the unnecessary trips.  Unfortunately, since it was adopted in 1967, they really hadn't seen this trend of jetting off to Europe to party on the taxpayers' dime every couple of weeks.)

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 04:47:39 AM »
KD5NRH, the Constitution was not interpreted that way even by the people who participated in its writing.  It's impossible to administer anything other than a small amazonian tribe without the ability to delegate powers that normally reside in a head office. 

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 05:31:12 AM »
KD5NRH, the Constitution was not interpreted that way even by the people who participated in its writing.  It's impossible to administer anything other than a small amazonian tribe without the ability to delegate powers that normally reside in a head office.

"Powers that normally reside in a head office" are not all Constitutionally granted to the President.  That's a large part of what made this country unique.  If he sticks to the actual Article 2 job description and the few other duties specified elsewhere in the Constitution, it should actually get kinda boring in peacetime.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 05:36:21 AM »
"Powers that normally reside in a head office" are not all Constitutionally granted to the President.  That's a large part of what made this country unique.  If he sticks to the actual Article 2 job description and the few other duties specified elsewhere in the Constitution, it should actually get kinda boring in peacetime.

That's an entirely different matter, of course.  But yes, executive power has grown substantially since the drafting of the Constitution.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 09:03:07 AM »
That's an entirely different matter, of course.  But yes, executive power has grown been stolen from the congress substantially since the drafting of the Constitution.

FTFY!!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 10:47:44 AM »
Too many bills, too many foreign trips, too much "delegation."
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.