Author Topic: I guess "prohibiting the free excercise thereof"...  (Read 1427 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I guess "prohibiting the free excercise thereof"...
« on: June 03, 2011, 10:28:02 AM »
Doesn't include preventing students from praying or prohibiting them from saying "Amen".

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/02/prayer-prohibited-at-graduation-ceremony/?test=latestnews

Of course, there is no ongoing attempts to purge Christianity from the public square in this country and I'm sure someone will be along to tell me that students exercising their right to free expression of religion is a terrible, horrible breach of the first amendment. Or something.

And that if schools don't crack down on expressions of (Christian) religion, they are obviously establishing religion.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: I guess "prohibiting the free excercise thereof"...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 03:23:03 PM »
The Valedictorian is set up to make history.  All the other speakers are selected by the school and could arguably have been selected because of their religious views.  The Valedictorian is not, and his (or her) words are strictly his own, and the judge's ruling violates his 1st Amendment rights.

The Texas Atty General has stated that the federal judge has overstepped his authority.  I wonder if the state police and the local sheriff will back that up.  Could be a showdown between the federal police and the state police when the feds try to arrest someone...

"It's good, though..."

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 04:03:08 PM »
"The judge declared that the Schultz family and their son would “suffer irreparable harm” if anyone prayed at the ceremony"

Well, only if the prayers were answered....  :angel:
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 05:59:47 PM »
I wonder what would happen if they substituted "F.U., Judge Fred Biery" for the "amen"....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 10:57:44 AM »
"The judge declared that the Schultz family and their son would “suffer irreparable harm” if anyone prayed at the ceremony"

Well, only if the prayers were answered....  :angel:

Who knew religion was still so powerful, so threatening.  Truth is, it is, and the Left knows this.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 11:04:54 AM »
Who knew religion was still so powerful, so threatening.  Truth is, it is, and the Left knows this.

As an Atheist, I just view them as words.  I can't understand what is so harmful about someone else's words.  You want to pray? Just don't make me do so, too. 

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 11:20:31 AM »
Judge Biery's ruling was overturned yesterday by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
"It's good, though..."