Author Topic: Army adopts SIG P320  (Read 14097 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Army adopts SIG P320
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2017, 09:58:47 PM »
Handled a p320 today.  It felt pretty good to me, but I like the SIG grip angle.  I would put a Hogue grip sleeve on if it was mine.  Light weight.  Compared to my Glock, it would be easier to get a gloved trigger finger in the trigger guard.  I think the Army could have done worse...if it is as durable as it is claimed to be.  My $.02 worth.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2017, 10:21:58 PM »
You don't have to turn it in to the armory when you go off shift?

I'm a Reserveist, so I usually draw my weapon for a weekend at a time.  We only open the arms room twice on drills where we are shooting.  The soldiers keep their weapons for the whole weekend.  But even once it's turned in, it's my weapon, no one else uses it.  On Deployments I have my M9 the whole time.

I have put first Crimson Traces, and then I switched to Pachmeyer grips on my M9 without an issue. Plenty of my troops have personal accessories on their M4's. (grips, slings and the like)  No one really messes with it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2017, 09:40:08 AM »
Handled a p320 today.  It felt pretty good to me, but I like the SIG grip angle.  I would put a Hogue grip sleeve on if it was mine.  Light weight.  Compared to my Glock, it would be easier to get a gloved trigger finger in the trigger guard.  I think the Army could have done worse...if it is as durable as it is claimed to be.  My $.02 worth.
That is pretty much my feeling.  From all reports, it is a good pistol.  The modularity might actually be a good match to the military supply system since the serial numbered part is the trigger and mechanism that fits in the frame. 

I passed up the P320 compact to get my current carry gun.  I may come back later and pick one up.  We will see. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2017, 09:41:50 AM »
Does anyone but us gunnies make such a big fuss over this?  Do off-road types get hyped up over a Humvee replacement?  Foodies about field rations?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2017, 09:55:03 AM »
I'm a Reserveist, so I usually draw my weapon for a weekend at a time.  We only open the arms room twice on drills where we are shooting.  The soldiers keep their weapons for the whole weekend.  But even once it's turned in, it's my weapon, no one else uses it.  On Deployments I have my M9 the whole time.

I have put first Crimson Traces, and then I switched to Pachmeyer grips on my M9 without an issue. Plenty of my troops have personal accessories on their M4's. (grips, slings and the like)  No one really messes with it.

Wait a sec.  If your draw your weapon for a drill weekend, you take it home with you?  And others take their rifles home?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2017, 11:06:35 AM »
Does anyone but us gunnies make such a big fuss over this?  Do off-road types get hyped up over a Humvee replacement?  Foodies about field rations?

I know that car junkies get into the selected vehicles, for different reasons.  They get excited about the possibility of a civilian version being made available for sale.  Foodies?  They laugh at MREs, make jokes about them, and refuse to eat them. 

I think gun people just like to debate gun stuff.  Back when I got into guns, in the 80s, the big debate was 9mm vs. .45 ACP vs. .357 Magnum for defensive use.  There was also the 1911 vs. DA autos, and revolver vs. auto for defensive/duty use.  Now, the great caliber war continues, though not as hotly contested.  Revolver vs. auto is over.  And the 1911 vs. all other autos will live on forever. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2017, 11:14:53 AM »
I know that car junkies get into the selected vehicles, for different reasons.  They get excited about the possibility of a civilian version being made available for sale.  Foodies?  They laugh at MREs, make jokes about them, and refuse to eat them. 

I think gun people just like to debate gun stuff.  Back when I got into guns, in the 80s, the big debate was 9mm vs. .45 ACP vs. .357 Magnum for defensive use.  There was also the 1911 vs. DA autos, and revolver vs. auto for defensive/duty use.  Now, the great caliber war continues, though not as hotly contested.  Revolver vs. auto is over.  And the 1911 vs. all other autos will live on forever. 
I think internet discussion boards allowed a lot more people to witness those debates and participate.  It also allowed a whole lot of the bad information that was floating around to be brought to light and refuted or explained.  I also remember the AR vs AK wars.  There were tons of old rumors and hearsay from Vietnam, etc about the M16 and AK that got brought up.  I am sure I didn't see all of it.  I haven't seen some of that come up in years.

I still saw the one about unloading your magazines to rest the springs pop up not to long ago. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2017, 11:38:41 AM »
Wait a sec.  If your draw your weapon for a drill weekend, you take it home with you?  And others take their rifles home?

I imagine that they would only be drawing them when they are going to the "field" where they will be overnight and not returning home.  The whole two days(8 hours) a month is bullshit.  There are more times than not we report in at 6 pm Friday night and are't leaving to go home until 5 pm Sunday.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2017, 12:10:46 PM »

Quote from: wmenorr67
I imagine that they would only be drawing them when they are going to the "field" where they will be overnight and not returning home.  The whole two days(8 hours) a month is bullshit.  There are more times than not we report in at 6 pm Friday night and are't leaving to go home until 5 pm Sunday.

Yep, what he said.  Our ranges are usually rolled into a bunch of other stuff.  Usually at least a Thurs-Sun field problem or exercise. Obviously different units are run differently, but as a watercraft guy (low-density, high operational tempo, lots of stuff to get underway) I haven't done a "Only sat-Sun, go home at night" drill since about 2005.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2017, 12:18:43 PM »
Revolver vs. auto is over. 

From previous posts, I know that a lot of us here still carry revolvers occasionally, if not frequently. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2017, 02:49:44 PM »
From previous posts, I know that a lot of us here still carry revolvers occasionally, if not frequently. 

I do, too.  But I haven't read a real argument about full sized auto versus full sized revolver as fighting tools in a very long time.  I think that the reliability of modern semiauto handguns has pretty much brought that argument to an end.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2017, 02:59:47 PM »

I think gun people just like to debate gun stuff. 

Damn straight! In fact my Smith & GLOCK .9MM is way better than your Beretta Blackhawk!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2017, 03:07:34 PM »
I do, too.  But I haven't read a real argument about full sized auto versus full sized revolver as fighting tools in a very long time.  I think that the reliability of modern semiauto handguns has pretty much brought that argument to an end.

"Revolver vs. Auto shootout!" used to be a staple of the gun rags, something that would come up every couple years.  I haven't seen it in a while.  But, I haven't read a gun magazine in quite a while.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2017, 03:17:12 PM »
Bring back the harmonica gun!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2017, 04:05:04 PM »

Damn straight! In fact my Smith & GLOCK .9MM is way better than your Beretta Blackhawk!
What about the 50 mm rifle? 

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2017, 05:26:37 PM »

You forgot the dreaded MUTA 6!
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2017, 05:27:51 PM »

Actually, they tend to make eating them challenges.  Like getting a bucket of ice water dumped on you, shaving your head, or running in a marathon while wearing a gas mask.

What about the 50 mm rifle?

30 rounds in half a second!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2017, 08:12:46 AM »
You forgot the dreaded MUTA 6!

We don't do those often enough.  We usually will do MUTA 5's when 6's would be so much better in the long run, more training time available.

Currently we do have a group doing MUTA 6's since they are preparing for a trip overseas.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!