Author Topic: Puerto Rico votes for statehood.  (Read 4202 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Puerto Rico votes for statehood.
« on: November 07, 2012, 12:09:41 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/11/07/puerto-ricans-opt-for-statehood-in-referendum/

Guess we can expect 2 more D senators and whatever the count should be for congresscritters.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Puerto Rico votes for statehood.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 12:13:17 PM »
Two more D-shaped nails in the coffin of America.

Prep up, and start asserting State Sovereignty.  It's the only defense from Leviathan.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 12:13:26 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/11/07/puerto-ricans-opt-for-statehood-in-referendum/

Guess we can expect 2 more D senators and whatever the count should be for congresscritters.

51 stars would be a little weird looking.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 12:24:30 PM »
But gets Obama a little closer to the magical 57
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 12:25:34 PM »
President Obama's 57 states comment wasn't strictly wrong. Just prescient.

darn you, lupinus!
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 12:28:30 PM »
Independece for PR!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 12:31:46 PM »
It isn't official, yet. The PR government has to sign off, and the US has to approve adding a state.

Assuming PR does become a state, they/we will have to spend an Obama-load of money to come up to US standards on roads, signs, etc.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »
Assuming PR does become a state, they/we will have to spend an Obama-load of money to come up to US standards on roads, signs, etc.
It will come out of Obama's stash. There is no way the left will turn down a couple of permanent electoral votes, senators, and representatives in their column.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 12:52:02 PM »
Is PR reliably leftist? I don't know anything about the local politics there, so assuming they're hardline D's seems premature.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 01:17:34 PM »
Is PR reliably leftist? I don't know anything about the local politics there, so assuming they're hardline D's seems premature.

About 50/50, moderate/GOP lite to extreme left.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »

Close enough.  DOn;t expect any small-gov't, liberty-friendly policritters to come from PR.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »
Puerto Rico already has statehood, its called NYC. [tinfoil]
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 02:02:50 PM »
Puerto Rico already has statehood, its called NYC. [tinfoil]

you beat me to it!  the old joke was "whats puerto ricos biggest city?  nyc"
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 02:52:27 PM »
It isn't official, yet. The PR government has to sign off, and the US has to approve adding a state.

Many of PRs main roads are already mostly funded as part of US interstate system, and the residents already pay U.S. fuel and tire taxes to partially defray the costs. 

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 06:42:46 PM »
fools!   they already have citizen status, as well as support from the USA.  now they will have to give up their sovereignty to get the same.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 12:10:56 AM »
fools!   they already have citizen status, as well as support from the USA.  now they will have to give up their sovereignty to get the same.
That's what I am thinking. That, or that some of us pro freedom types should try and achieve their current status with our own islands. We could have the biggest economic powerhouse in the world in no time.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 03:12:15 AM »
I just thought of a good reason for the Dems to try to push statehood for PR through. After granting PR statehood, it would be easier for them to argue for D.C. statehood as well. Those two entities getting statehood would very likely result in 4 more (D) senators and 5-7 more (D) representatives.

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 09:32:23 AM »
I don't think DC can be a State.  It's constitutionally chartered to be a Federal entity alone.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 12:10:28 PM »
What constitutes the current US of A is going to be irrelevant soon enough.  Stop counting the enemy, start counting your side.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 01:06:04 PM »
I don't think DC can be a State.  It's constitutionally chartered to be a Federal entity alone.

Sure, if the Constitution mattered this would be true.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 01:09:21 PM »
To listen to the Republican hierarchs we should not stop at P. Rico.  Why not embrace all of Central America and beyond?  Let's forget about a big tent and go straight to tent city.  Literally.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 01:25:14 PM »
To listen to the Republican hierarchs we should not stop at P. Rico.  Why not embrace all of Central America and beyond?  Let's forget about a big tent and go straight to tent city.  Literally.

Sure... as long as we uncap the number of representatives and allocate them back to the 1790 populace/rep ratio and repeal the 17th amendment at the same time. Oh, and bomb the piss out of the cartels and the corrupt local governments/police with BLU-82's, then I'm cool with that.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »

We've owned PR since 1898, and since 1917, all PR folks are US citizens.

If they become a state, they'll have to pay federal taxes. Now, they sort of do, sort of don't.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 06:48:35 PM »
Details.

Let's look at the trend and at the agenda.  It's plain enough, to minimize the political power of the "legacy" population that remembers and believes in the principles of our Founding.

"Invade the world, invite the world."  Thank you, Neo-Cons. If there's a silver lining in Tuesday's unpleasantness it's that the Neo-Cons aren't back in power.  Maybe what we have now is worse but at least its awfulness is out there for all to see.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 07:12:24 PM »
I'm fully convinced the republic is in it's death throes. 
That said, the people of PR (and all the territories) have been being *expletive deleted*ed for years.  Yes, they are "citizens", but unless they move from whatever territory they live in, they don't recieve the full benefits of being a citizen.  Not being represented fully in the government being the most agregious.
Let them have statehood.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”