Author Topic: How did your state fare?  (Read 5622 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
How did your state fare?
« on: November 07, 2012, 10:50:54 PM »
I was pleased to read in the paper today that Alabama went for Romney 58% to 40%. I know that Wisconsin was close, but it feels good to be in a solidly conservative state.

I wrote a letter to my congressman here a few months back, and got one of the most pro-2nd Amendment replies I've ever seen written by a legislator.

How did your state do?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: How did your state fare?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 10:51:31 PM »
Oregon is permanently blue, so I am sure you can imagine how we did.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 11:18:40 PM »
Oregon is permanently blue, so I am sure you can imagine how we did.

Ditto.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 11:56:51 PM »
Missouri was always a lock for the Republican, just not at the state level. We kept our Dem. governor, and instead of electing the Senate candidate that fumbled over some words, and then apologized, we re-elected the lady who defends baby-killing, and never apologizes. On the positive side, the Republicans still control the legislature, and the state is finally going to relinquish control of the St. Louis police department (since the Civil War is apparently over now). Also, we shot down an effort to tax smokers out the wazoo, so we could waste that money on schools.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 12:11:39 AM »
Well, I guess I don't have to say how CA did. I wish there was a way to split our massive amount of electoral votes, but I think it'll never happen.

What I find more interesting than how states as a whole fared, is how they voted at the county level. The maps are pretty interesting, even when you expect some of the results (e.g., blue in counties with big cities). Even with that expectation though, the visual of how one or two small and densely populated land areas can drive a whole state is pretty striking.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:16:25 AM »
As usual, a number of counties on the west side of WA ended up dragging the eastern part of the state into the blue. At least the lone blue county on the east side from last election flipped around and went red this time. Now we have to work on those counties west of the Cascades.

bob

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 12:23:53 AM »
I was pleased to read in the paper today that Alabama went for Romney 58% to 40%. I know that Wisconsin was close, but it feels good to be in a solidly conservative state.

I wrote a letter to my congressman here a few months back, and got one of the most pro-2nd Amendment replies I've ever seen written by a legislator.

How did your state do?

:facepalm:  ONLY 58% of Alabamians voted for Romney?!?!?!?!?!  Geeesh.  I thought it would be waaaaaaay higher than that!  That's MISERABLE for the buckle of the Bible-belt! 
I'm so ashamed ..... :'(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 02:29:54 AM »
:facepalm:  ONLY 58% of Alabamians voted for Romney?!?!?!?!?!  Geeesh.  I thought it would be waaaaaaay higher than that!  That's MISERABLE for the buckle of the Bible-belt! 
I'm so ashamed ..... :'(

You have to remember that we have Birmingham.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 04:24:06 AM »
I'm disappointed in Colorado, but not surprised.  =(

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 04:30:59 AM »
Oklahoma is the redeset of the red states. Not a single county went for Obama.
We also sent a totally Republican delegation to DC.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

erictank

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 05:57:32 AM »
VA went Obama again, 51%-48% over Romney (my pick, Gary Johnson, got not quite 1% here, slightly under national average =(). Both VA Constitutional Amendments passed - and the one to permit the General Assembly to delay convening to reconsider a vetoed bill by a week passed by 10% more than the one to restrict eminent domain seizures to only public-use, rather than private-use or tax-increase reasons! :facepalm:

Our Congress selections appear to be a mixed bag, which is pretty much to be expected. Kaine (D) won over Allen (R), 52-47% with no others on the ballot for Senate. 3 of our 11 Representatives were Democrats this time, from traditionally-heavily-Democratic districts (as expected; also as expected, Connolly(D) carried Fairfax County/District 11 quite handily).

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 05:58:34 AM »
Most of the VA counties went Red, but the big ones in the north east are solid blue, so Obama took VA. :(

Chris

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 06:11:07 AM »
NH is so blue it needs CPR.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 09:14:56 AM »
Madison and Milwaukee carried the state, again...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 10:33:04 AM »
Minnesota went Blue - again. We also have the DFL (that's what the Democrat party in MN calls itself) in control of the legislature and the governor's mansion.

Statewide, only the urban centers and a few rural college communities are blue, with the exception being the Iron Range areas, due to high union population.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 11:20:29 AM »
Every candidate I voted for lost, including the Supreme Court judge endorsed by the Libertarian party. Initiatives were about evenly split.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 11:59:51 AM »
Kalifornia remained safely ethno-Communist.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 12:32:50 PM »
although NY is blue, our county is reletively conservative.  our state reps are both republicans.  the county judge's seat is yet undecided, due to absentee ballots not being fully counted.  i voted for the democratic challenger, as the republican incumbant has ticked me off in the past. 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 01:12:45 PM »
You have to remember that we have Birmingham.
:facepalm:  Dang it!  Is that REALLY 42% of the vote?   Well. . . . . =| ...it is a pretty major city.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

bscl

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 03:59:31 PM »
As usual, a number of counties on the west side of WA ended up dragging the eastern part of the state into the blue. At least the lone blue county on the east side from last election flipped around and went red this time. Now we have to work on those counties west of the Cascades.

bob

We're thinking about leaving "paradise" (more like a banana republic) for western WA someday, possibly a few years.  I will bring a "red" vote with me (not the commie red).  

I know we'd be moving from one solid "blue" state to a "blue" area, but at least I won't be paying for what should be free - sunshine.  As for the results of our elections, our entire Congressional delegation stayed leftist statist despite a good challenge from our former Republican governor for one of our two Senate seats - who was herself a fluke since the state did not have a Republican governor in more than forty years.  Due to redistricting, my State Senator (member of the Second Amendment Foundation and long time fighter for CCW) is now the Senator of another district, and I now have a NRA "C" rated Democrat instead.  Fortunately my State House Rep. was unchallenged and is NRA "A" rated.  
Life Member NRA, SAF

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 04:08:16 PM »
Illinois.  The Dems gerrymandered redrew the state and congressional districts mean that:
Overnight, the 11-8 Republican advantage in Illinois' congressional delegation was wiped out. Three freshmen GOP representatives were tossed from office while Democrats appeared poised to take a 12-6 edge in the delegation the state sends to Washington.

In Springfield, where Republicans have long been the minority party in the state Legislature, Democrats won a veto-proof supermajority in the state House and Senate. In the House, it's 71 Democrats and 47 Republicans. In the Senate, it's 40 Democrats and 19 Republicans.

We're soooo phoucked.  The same folks that have created and ignored the state pension problem are the ones that will continue to let it fester.   It'll be interesting to see the games that Madigan and Quinn pull to make the budget "balance" as constitutionally required.  

Concealed carry will have to come through the courts.  The swing in the Senate and House pretty much killed it.  
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 05:38:44 PM »

About of third of Idaho voted for Obama.

I'm not terribly happy about that.

Trouble is, down around Boise we have a whole lot of agricultural land and an increasingly MexoHispanic population related to that demo.

I heard an interesting analysis today that I found eye-opening and a little chilling.  It seems that we have, for a very long time, had an active "immigration" and amnesty lobby pushing the meme that "Mexicans just want to come here, get work, improve their lives, do those jobs Americans won't do."  I have been unable to reconcile that with the more recent union support for amnesty.  Today, the analysis I heard pointed out that the reason unions are pushing amnesty is the same reason the overwhelming majority of the Hispanic population votes Dem:  they aren't primarily here for the jobs, they're here for the "safety net" and free stuff (see FSA).

When I stopped to consider this, it seemed to be the only thing that makes sense.  The Left wants amnesty for them, not so they can "join the work force," but so they can join the Left's electorate.

Yeah, we "need workers," but that's not who we're mostly getting -- at least not any more.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 06:26:16 PM »
Montana went 55% to Romney - I voted 3rd party since I knew Romney would take the state and my protest vote would not matter in the grand scheme of things (3 electoral votes).  My county was 57% for Obama :(  Overall it went 100% blue.

Other local races:
Tester (D) reelected to Senate:( - I voted for Rehburg even though I am even less enthusiastic about him than I was Romney
Daines (R) elected to our lone house seat
Brad Johnson was not elected to secretary of state
Steve Bullock (D) is the new governor :( - that really sucks, we were so close last session on some big gun law improvements that the governor vetoed.
State house and senate results were mixed, the person I really wanted out was reelected and the person I really wanted in was not elected.

All-in-all, every race I voted on did not go the way I wanted.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 07:21:04 PM »
Montana went 55% to Romney - I voted 3rd party since I knew Romney would take the state and my protest vote would not matter in the grand scheme of things (3 electoral votes).  My county was 57% for Obama :(  Overall it went 100% blue.

Other local races:
Tester (D) reelected to Senate:( - I voted for Rehburg even though I am even less enthusiastic about him than I was Romney
Daines (R) elected to our lone house seat
Brad Johnson was not elected to secretary of state
Steve Bullock (D) is the new governor :( - that really sucks, we were so close last session on some big gun law improvements that the governor vetoed.
State house and senate results were mixed, the person I really wanted out was reelected and the person I really wanted in was not elected.

All-in-all, every race I voted on did not go the way I wanted.

Yeah, the initiative to prohibit being forced to buy medical insurance passed, but Tester who supported Obamacare won.

I can only conclude that the majority in Montana are truly insane  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 07:33:06 PM »
Yeah, the initiative to prohibit being forced to buy medical insurance passed, but Tester who supported Obamacare won.

I can only conclude that the majority in Montana America are truly insane  :facepalm:
FTFY
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.