Author Topic: Romney lost at least 5 States due to angering Paul supporters  (Read 5484 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Romney lost at least 5 States due to angering Paul supporters
« on: November 09, 2012, 10:29:59 AM »
http://www.policymic.com/articles/18815/the-ron-paul-effect-how-the-gop-threw-the-election-by-disenfranchising-ron-paul-supporters

StateObama VotesRomney VotesRomney Loss MarginPaul Primary VotesElectoral Votes
Connecticut128251120637761480327
Florida414161840949524666611746129
New Hampshire36608932566840421568724
Ohio2691861258462010724111325618
Virginia1868191176769210049910745113

There was a strong, concerted effort among Paul supporters after the RNC debacle to sit this election out, or at the most, vote Gary Johnson.  Note that turnout was millions lower than even the lackluster McCain '08 election.

We Paul supporters kept hearing... "Vote for Romney!  At least he isn't Obama!  Get on the party bus.  Gotta back the chosen candidate."

Nevermind the massive violation of our principles necessary to vote for a turd sandwich like Romney... and the notion that voting for Paul by those with evidently more "flexible" principles that endorse towing the party line for the sake of the party could have just as easily voted for Paul, instead. ;/  The whole GOP machine could have just backed Paul, and enjoyed the boost of the newly acquired and energized youthful demographic that Paul represented.  It's looking for new constituents.  They were knocking on the door and saying "may we come in?"

When Ron Paul went to the Republican National Convention in August, he brought with him the youngest delegation in the history of the Republican Party.

How were they welcomed? When they arrived, their signs were confiscated and torn up before their eyes. The Maine delegation was summarily unseated and sent home because they contained too many Paul supporters. At the last minute, the Rules Committee changed the ballot access requirement from five states to eight states to prevent Ron Paul’s name from being entered into nomination. They even prevented his name from being mentioned from the podium!

Take that, Romney and the Statist GOP.  Take it in the sphincter, like a rough-cut 2x4 with big splintery shards.

We didn't need Paul as the GOP candidate.  But we did need his policies seriously aired at Tampa.  We needed a true nomination proceeding at Tampa.  We needed to start the debate.  We needed his stance to represent a portion of the GOP party platform.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Romney lost at least 5 States due to angering Paul supporters
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 10:46:32 AM »
Here's a metaphor for you.

American Virtue and Resolve

Locked out in the cold.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:09:28 PM by kgbsquirrel »

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 10:49:58 AM »
I'm kind of feeling a little relief actually.

It's all on the table now, illusions of taking back the country have been shattered for most right thinking folks.

The tension of the continual lesser evil RHINO option was draining energy from the core of liberty lovers.

I'd like to see a third party movement focused like a laser beam locally on the reddest of red counties working out into the reddish purple areas.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 10:57:02 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 10:52:42 AM »
Current count is 303 to 206.  Florida isn't counted yet.

7+4+18+13 (the electoral votes from above, without FL) = 42.

303-42 = 261, had Obama lost those 4 out of 5 states below (he hasn't been awarded FL yet).

206 + 42 = 248... add FL for 29 and you get 277.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
Not all rank and file GOP loyalists wanted to rally behind Ron Paul, it is as simple as that. The GOP is currently fractured in mulitple ways. Democrats on the other hand appear to be united pretty much behind any D on the ballot.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »
Not all rank and file GOP loyalists wanted to rally behind Ron Paul, it is as simple as that. The GOP is currently fractured in mulitple ways. Democrats on the other hand appear to be united pretty much behind any D on the ballot.

Nope.  The rank-and-file GOP wanted to shatter the Paul campaign and alienate his base by insulting their dedication and perseverance.

The rank-and-file GOP would rather consider illegal alien amnesty to boost GOP voter rolls than a stop to the welfare state, a reduction in foreign expeditionary wars, and an audit of our financial policy and earn that new generation of voters that are sick of Baby Boomer politicks.
--Lysander Spooner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 11:01:40 AM »

This.  If the Republican Party wants to remain relevant as a monolithic party, then they need to find a way to appeal to all of the fractured groups.  This might mean some compromise here and there.

Unfortunately, the Democrats don't have this problem.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 11:08:50 AM »
This.  If the Republican Party wants to remain relevant as a monolithic party, then they need to find a way to appeal to all of the fractured groups.  This might mean some compromise here and there.

Chris

Very true, some compromise may be hard because some of the differences between the fractured groups.

I'm on the executive committee for the GOP county party where I live and many time we can't come to a decision because someone will comment that isn't <insert belief/feeling>enough for them.

Uranus is a gas giant.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 11:09:44 AM »

Chris

Do-Anything-You-Want and Free-*expletive deleted*-For-Everyone! is a platform that appeals to the baser people across the entire spectra of demographics. It's also designed to encourage excess population growth, thus ensuring a continual expansion of the voter base, as we've seen over the last 50 years since the Free *expletive deleted* campaign was started by LBJ.

The party currently masquerading as Republicans lacks any such singularly unifying platform.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 11:12:53 AM by kgbsquirrel »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 11:13:58 AM »

Do-Anything-You-Want and Free *expletive deleted* is a platform that appeals to the baser people across the entire spectra of demographics. It's also designed to encourage excess population growth, thus ensuring a continual expansion of the voter base, as we've seen over the last 50 years since the Free *expletive deleted* campaign was started by LBJ.

Well yeah. this is kinda key. It's easy to unite people under a "free stuff for everybody" banner. Much harder to unite people under a theme of "take responsibility for your actions, and we don't guarantee an easy life".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 11:16:20 AM »
The country does not want libertarian economics.

The country does not want social conservatism.

Pull those two groups out of the Republican party what are you left with?

The country wants an activist government involved intimately involved in economic redistribution of wealth, one that not only protects progressive/liberal causes but is actively involved in promoting it over what we quaintly call traditional values.

I attend what would be considered an evangelical church and probably half of them voted for Obama. This despite the administrations desire to promote the homosexual lifestyle, fund contraception with tax dollars and continue the slaughter of the unborn.

Stop kidding yourselves guys, give up the illusion of liberty. Liberty is incompatible with the post modern world we are living in these days.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 11:28:21 AM »
It's a shame that those who sat the election out couldn't be bothered to oh, I don't know, vote third party? Imagine the gnashing of teeth in the GOP had Johnson gotten more like 4 or 5 % or better?
Just sayin.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 11:41:32 AM »
The Republican power structure is as much an enemy of liberty as the Democrats.

They understand exactly what Paul and Johnson espouse and they reject it out of hand.

Grass roots, bottom up is the only way. 

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 12:06:41 PM »
Angering Paulbots the really nice lovable intelligent but slightly misguided gentlemen and ladies who support the Great, Magnificent Intellect of the Ages, Ron Paul.???  What inneffable twaddle.

Sorry but the repubs just didn't get their guys out to the polls as it was thought would happen.  Romney didn't even get the ## of votes McCain did in '08.

Angering Paulbotsthe really nice lovable intelligent but slightly misguided gentlemen and ladies who support the Great, Magnificent Intellect of the Ages, Ron Paul?!?!  This is the silliest theory I've seen yet.

Edited to apologize for violating forum niceties.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 01:01:41 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 12:23:17 PM »
Angering Paulbots???  What inneffable twaddle.

Sorry but the repubs just didn't get their guys out to the polls as it was thought would happen.  Romney didn't even get the ## of votes McCain did in '08.

Angering Paulbots?!?!  This is the silliest theory I've seen yet.

You miss the sticky?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 12:28:43 PM »
Nope.  The rank-and-file GOP wanted to shatter the Paul campaign and alienate his base by insulting their dedication and perseverance.

The rank-and-file GOP would rather consider illegal alien amnesty to boost GOP voter rolls than a stop to the welfare state, a reduction in foreign expeditionary wars, and an audit of our financial policy and earn that new generation of voters that are sick of Baby Boomer politicks.

Most of the rank and file have no idea what happened in Tampa.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 12:30:21 PM »
The current freebie system conduces to slavery and probably genocide.  How else can "they" make "us" subsidize them?  If that's the case, all bets are off and different responses are called for.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 12:31:16 PM »

Must not know many GOP rank-and-filers.

Here's a more realistic surmise, given the data: the lack of a socially conservative message from Romney and Ryan left many social conservatives cold.  Since there are many, many more so-cons than paul-voters, only a small proportion of them would have to be put off for the theory to work.

Frankly, given the drop off in turnout, it looks like LOTS of Republicans stayed home.  So much for "electability."

For my own part, I would have liked to have seen Paul take a substantive part of the GOP convention.  Could have easily been done with a "fiscal sanity" theme night that would have defused or mitigated the foreign policy differences between R/R and Paul.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 12:48:28 PM »
You miss the sticky?
???  I guess I did since I have absolutely NO IDEA to what you are refering.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 12:51:44 PM »

Hitlery, Mittens, Paulbots, etc.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 12:57:33 PM »
Most of the rank and file have no idea what happened in Tampa.

I think there is a lot of truth to that statement.

Uranus is a gas giant.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 12:58:31 PM »
Hitlery, Mittens, Paulbots, etc.

Oh.  THAT.  "Paulbots" must cut to the quick. 

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 01:05:16 PM »
Oh.  THAT.  "Paulbots" must cut to the quick.  

No, it breaks the rules and shows how little regard folks should give your opinions.

Demonizing those you disagree with as "the other" is a weak and provocative form of dialog or rhetoric.

Instead of debating the merits or lack thereof of those ideas you disagree with you belittle and or mock the folks that hold those ideas.

It doesn't really further the conversation but as you point out it could provoke an emotional response, hence the reason it is banned.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 03:02:43 PM »

Nicknames. Knock it the *expletive deleted*ck off.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 03:03:24 PM »
Oh.  THAT.  "Paulbots" must cut to the quick.

Continue breaking a clear cut forum rule and see how it works out for ya.
JD