Author Topic: The Sanity Platform  (Read 7218 times)

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
The Sanity Platform
« on: November 09, 2012, 05:38:57 PM »

Something said on another forum about an alternate political platform tripped a random neuron, and I started thinking.

Never an auspicious start, I will admit, still though, thinking beats nerveless apathy.  Or so I've heard.

Platform?

I glanced at both platforms in the run-up to the election.  Meh.  One is the "bread-and-circuses" platform, the other is the "morality-fitting-nobody-really" platform.

One of them I could reject out of hand.  The other made me wince.

So . . . I was wondering . . . and thinking . . . what would a collection of my saner friends think would be a good platform?

So I figured I would open the floor for discussion of something I will call "The Sanity Platform."  ("Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!  You can't fool me.  There ain't no Sanity Clause!")

So:  The Sanity Platform
       Plank #1:  People are not property.  Corollary:  The government does not own people.

Who wants to go next?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:42:25 PM by ArfinGreebly »
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Re: The Sanity Platform
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
Plank #2- Government shall not raise taxes, reduce tax breaks or borrow money from foreign countries. The eventual goal shall be to reduce spending to pre-1913 levels, adjusted for inflation. The U.S. shall be put back on a gold standard.

Lacks brevity...maybe just, "The government shall exercise fiscal responsibility"?
Hi.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 06:29:15 PM »
Plank 3 - Indebtedness we create this year is a debt to be repaid by our children or grandchildren next year.  This is intergenerational slavery, and abhorrent to us.  We will never do this.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 06:42:26 PM »
Plank 4: repeal the 16th amendment
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 06:44:42 PM »
Plank 3 - Indebtedness we create this year is a debt to be repaid by our children or grandchildren next year.  This is intergenerational slavery, and abhorrent to us.  We will never do this.

You really want a government that will never borrow money? Wasn't that one of the first things our national government tried to do, during the Revolutionary War?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 06:52:06 PM »
If our government resembled that of the Founders, I wouldn't mind. The degenerate morons we have now? No.
Hi.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 09:57:03 PM »
I'm sorry, the whole gold standard idea is silly, difficult to implement, and EXTREMELY unlikely to actually be taken seriously.

The statement about indebtedness is good, but far too absolute. Would you go into debt to save your children's life, even if they will have to pay it back? I'm guessing yes.

How about: "Indebtedness we create this year is a debt to be repaid by our children or grandchildren next year. Only during times of national emergency will we take on debt."

I have no disagreements with Jamis's plank.

My addition would be: The federal government always imposes one single solution on the entirety of the country. Therefore, everything that can be done by localities or states will be left to states and localities. Regulating commerce between the states means the federal government will prevent tariffs or regulations designed to prevent people, goods, or businesses from freely moving from state to state. (Maybe that should be two planks.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 10:25:50 PM »
[...]

My addition would be: The federal government always imposes one single solution on the entirety of the country. Therefore, everything that can be done by localities or states will be left to states and localities. Regulating commerce between the states means the federal government will prevent tariffs or regulations designed to prevent people, goods, or businesses from freely moving from state to state. (Maybe that should be two planks.)

Repeal the 17th amendment to help in accomplishing that.
Andy

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 10:26:13 PM »
How about: "Indebtedness we create this year is a debt to be repaid by our children or grandchildren next year. Only during times of national emergency will we take on debt."

Unfortunately, "national emergency" is a pretty big loophole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Emergencies_Act

There were 32 declared national emergencies between 1976 and 2001. [2] Most of these were for the purpose of restricting trade with certain foreign entities under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) (50 U.S.C. 1701-1707).

The United States has been in a state of national emergency continuously since September 14, 2001, when the Bush administration invoked it premised on the September 11 attacks. In September 2011, President Barack Obama informed Congress that the State of National Emergency in effect since September 14, 2001, will be extended another year.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 12:30:27 AM »

FWIW, I'm less interested in specific issues and more interested in expressing planks as principles.

"Repeal the [XX] amendment" becomes an issue, while the reason for doing so is a principle.

I don't have a problem with "Because [abc] principle, repeal [xx] amendment."  A clear articulation of the principle is necessary, however, so that the "repeal [xx]" flows naturally from it.

I find that I have less trouble getting agreement with a principle ("people are not property") than with an arguably logical derivation from it (like "therefore children do not belong to government").  If I begin the discussion with "kids don't belong to government" I find myself swimming upstream against a long-propagated meme that "government is in charge of kids" without any examination of why that would be a bad idea.  If I start with the principle (people are not property), which has derivations like "therefore slavery is bad and wrong," it becomes easier to highlight the incongruous idea that somehow kids are property ("owned" by government).

Therefore I suggest that "good idea [xx]" be preceded by "such-and-such is a principle."

Principles make better planks than "issues."
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 01:03:44 AM »
No law shall be passed without stating the constitutional authority it draws on
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 01:20:57 AM »
No law shall be passed without stating the constitutional authority it draws on

No making up Interstate Commerce Clause bullshit to seize power.

The Constitution and it's amendments are crystal clear. When it says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.", that's exactly what it means, numbnuts. When it says "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" that's what it means. If the military has it, you should be able to buy it if you can afford the purchase cost and the manufacturer is willing to sell to you.

Get rid of property taxes. I'm sorry, but when you buy land, you should BUY THE LAND, not pay extortion money to a state or local .gov so they won't send men with guns to take your land from you. Speaking of taxes, your money should be taxed once, not multiple times. I should not be taxed upon payday, taxed yearly, and then taxed upon my death for the same money.

Stuff like the NPS, Forest Service, and so on can be easily handled by state agencies. It's entirely stupid, as we have in my state, to have State Parks and Forest Service and then have federal park and forest services.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 03:15:14 AM »
All Federal and State legislation will expire ten years after its passage, where it must be voted on again to extend it another ten years or let it expire....

All Senators, Congress-persons, and their employees will draw their salaries, pension,  and office budget from the legislature of the state they represent. The state legislatures can review and change those salaries at any time during the official's term.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 05:45:05 AM »
The results of a person's labor, whether goods or cash, belong to that person.  They are never an entitlement or right of some one else.

griz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 06:33:59 AM »
The principle that we seem to be disreguarding the most is:

You can not spemd your way in to prosperity.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 08:18:02 AM »
All the decisions of the executive officer of the week have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting. By a simple majority, in the case of purely internal affairs.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 08:54:50 AM »
FWIW, I'm less interested in specific issues and more interested in expressing planks as principles.

"Repeal the [XX] amendment" becomes an issue, while the reason for doing so is a principle.

I don't have a problem with "Because [abc] principle, repeal [xx] amendment."  A clear articulation of the principle is necessary, however, so that the "repeal [xx]" flows naturally from it.

I find that I have less trouble getting agreement with a principle ("people are not property") than with an arguably logical derivation from it (like "therefore children do not belong to government").  If I begin the discussion with "kids don't belong to government" I find myself swimming upstream against a long-propagated meme that "government is in charge of kids" without any examination of why that would be a bad idea.  If I start with the principle (people are not property), which has derivations like "therefore slavery is bad and wrong," it becomes easier to highlight the incongruous idea that somehow kids are property ("owned" by government).

Therefore I suggest that "good idea [xx]" be preceded by "such-and-such is a principle."

Principles make better planks than "issues."

I disagree.  The 16th Amendment gives Leviathian all the power to do all the things we despise, and is the biggest stranglehold on the population at our government's disposal. 
"We will do XYZ" is a principle.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 09:19:03 AM »

Yay!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 11:48:49 AM »
All the decisions of the executive officer of the week have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting. By a simple majority, in the case of purely internal affairs.

But by a two-thirds majority in the case of more major......

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 01:10:12 PM »

16th, 17th, and 18th were all bad.  WTF were they thinking?
"It's good, though..."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 01:27:32 PM »

Probably something along the lines of...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 02:33:21 PM »

You forgot 19.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 02:37:41 PM »

You forgot 19.

Plank # whatever: fistful shall be permibanned.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 02:54:01 PM »
Plank: Constitutional amendment to restrict suffrage to those persons who have completed at least four years of service in the Armed Forces and are discharged under honorable conditions, or have received a medical discharge under honorable conditions due to injuries sustained in the line of duty, or have completed at least 30 years of non-combat civil service in a non-elected, non-appointed, position and having retired in good standing. Furthermore, franchise shall be a requirement of any candidate to hold any elected office or to receive appointment to a civil position which has a term of office greater than 2 years.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 03:04:33 PM »
Plank: Constitutional amendment to restrict suffrage to those persons who have completed at least four years of service in the Armed Forces and are discharged under honorable conditions, or have received a medical discharge under honorable conditions due to injuries sustained in the line of duty, or have completed at least 30 years of non-combat civil service in a non-elected, non-appointed, position and having retired in good standing. Furthermore, franchise shall be a requirement of any candidate to hold any elected office or to receive appointment to a civil position which has a term of office greater than 2 years.

Great...since I can't be in the military I can't vote?  Thanks, guess the decade plus I've spent forgoing a non defense industry big paycheck to put my skills to use for our military isn't quite the same?  VETO.

And why the time difference?  So 22 year old folks with a DD214 can vote, and 48 year old civil service folks?
That's pretty much selecting a below average voting population with limited experience.  Most civil service folks are retarded, and I'm sure DS Fitz can vouch for the -average- civil knowledge and critical thinking skills of young military folks (again, AVERAGE).

I'd prefer voting be restricted to people who can pass a combined critical thinking, economics, and civics test.