Author Topic: Global terrorism continues its decline  (Read 3052 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Global terrorism continues its decline
« on: November 10, 2012, 02:22:37 AM »
http://www.state.gov/j/ct/rls/crt/2011/195555.htm

As we see here, global terrorist attacks declined from 14,000 to about 10,000 in the past few years, and global terrorist deaths declined from 22,700 to 12,533 in the same time period.

More hilariously, over 50% of terrorist attacks fail to kill anyone at all.

Clearly, humanity is doing *something* right.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Global terrorism continues its decline
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 08:19:02 AM »
In regards to the last few threads you've started; thanks for trying to cheer us up.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 11:17:06 AM »
Lets throw a little doubt at the source.
Is it possible that the US .gov has redefined what constitutes "terrorism"? They still refuse to call the Ft. Hood massacre anything but workplace violence.
It wasn't until they were faced with overwhelming evidence they couldn't suppress, and backlash from the right at home that they labeled the Benghazi attack as terrorism.

I have zero trust in any stats coming from my government. whether it be crime, terrorism or just the weather, they can't be trusted.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 11:20:29 AM »
^^^^^ This......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 11:51:53 AM »
This explains why AQ is ensconcing itself across Northern Africa, setting up training camps in Libya.
 ???

Yeah.....I'd sooner believe in the tooth faerie.

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 12:39:26 PM »
So, since they claim terrorism is on the decline, that means we can disband DHS and TSA now, right?  :P

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 12:40:21 PM »
So, since they claim terrorism is on the decline, that means we can disband DHS and TSA now, right?  :P

No, no.

I think you don't get it.

This clearly means DHS and TSA have proved their usefulness and need to have their funding doubled. Or, you know, tripled.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 12:42:33 PM »
Lets throw a little doubt at the source.
Is it possible that the US .gov has redefined what constitutes "terrorism"? They still refuse to call the Ft. Hood massacre anything but workplace violence.
It wasn't until they were faced with overwhelming evidence they couldn't suppress, and backlash from the right at home that they labeled the Benghazi attack as terrorism.

I have zero trust in any stats coming from my government. whether it be crime, terrorism or just the weather, they can't be trusted.

This doesn't constitute 'throwing doubt at the source'.

Do you have any link to any DoS documents showing what definitions of terrorism they used in 2007 and 2011?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »
Whistling past the graveyard. my friend.  Hunker down, this guy in D.C. wants you dead.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 04:07:50 PM »

Then who would be left to commit terrorism?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 06:42:56 PM »
Terrorism just changed costume, that's all.  Expensive suits are the vogue now. 
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 07:38:58 PM »

I think its more that the other side of things is often quite daft, certainly - for instance - reading about the attack on Malala Yousafzai recently its difficult to see that lot as anything other than incompetent, morally corrupt fools - especially as the decision to go after a fourteen year old kid apparently came from the top. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 10:34:35 PM »
This doesn't constitute 'throwing doubt at the source'.

Do you have any link to any DoS documents showing what definitions of terrorism they used in 2007 and 2011?

If you are willing to accept the Ft. Hood attack as work place violence and believe the DoS and Obama's response to the Benghazi attacks as a spontaneous response to a youtube video then I have nothing to offer.
You're welcome to accept DoS proclamations at face value if you want. I'll take it with a healthy double dose of skepticism, doubt and distrust.
If Hillary Clinton tells me the sky is blue I'll check it myself.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »

As we see here, global terrorist attacks declined from 14,000 to about 10,000 in the past few years, and global terrorist deaths declined from 22,700 to 12,533 in the same time period.

"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 11:41:40 PM »

Or, to play with your statistics, just about half of terrorist attacks end human life.  Try selling this optimism at Ft. Hood.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 01:34:37 AM »
I'd like to think that the men and women of the U.S. military understand the concept of ratios and statistics.

Indeed, I know this, or any military action would be totally impossible.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 09:52:10 AM »
Or, to play with your statistics, just about half of terrorist attacks end human life.  Try selling this optimism at Ft. Hood.

Fail.  Ft. Hood was workplace violence
 =|
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 10:04:44 AM »
I thought "terrorist acts" had been redefined as "man-caused disasters" and the "war on terror" had become "overseas contingency operations."

So naturally "terrorism" is declining.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 10:52:49 AM »
Terrorism is just global warming up close and personal. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 02:05:05 PM »

Fail.  Ft. Hood was workplace violence
 =|

Terrorism is an unlicensed lemonade stand  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 06:00:19 PM »
I thought "terrorist acts" had been redefined as "man-caused disastersprotests against Youtube" and the "war on terror" had become "overseas contingency operations extending our hand in friendship."

So naturally "terrorism" is declining.

FIFY....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »
Terrorism starts with the hand that rocks the cradle.

All terrorists have moms, and those moms have cultures.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 11:49:49 AM »
Terrorism starts with the hand that rocks the cradle.

All terrorists have moms, and those moms have cultures.

???

The hand that rocks the cradle for a few good men brings us the sum of all fears.  But at the point break, the matrix will not protect the hunted.  We will all be human centipedes.

You speak in too many metaphors and vagueries, longeyes.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »
No, I don't. You will find useful wisdom in "generalities."  Too much useless details and "data" on this forum by too many technocrats.  I've played that game too, professionally, and ultimately it goes nowhere.  We are not going to solve our political problems with "details."

I'm talking about cultures.  Terrorism springs from early education, from cultural practices that include maternal upbringing, the creation of machismo, etc.  

Too much time is spent on this forum discussing the comparative virtues of airframes.  Rock on.  I will continue to say what I think about what I think is important.  The wise ones on this forum have dismissed my remarks on secession for years now, I note in passing, but you may have noticed that what was crazy a few years ago is starting, albeit small and slow, to catch fire.

Or maybe you'd rather talk about .44 mag verus .45 colt?

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:11:41 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 07:57:16 PM »
Since the 44mag is not available in 1911, your hyperbole is fail.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”