Author Topic: At 10:05 p.m...  (Read 3707 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
At 10:05 p.m...
« on: August 06, 2007, 05:32:47 PM »
It was 86 degrees F on my patio in Fairfax, Virginia.

Dew point? Low 70s.

I wonder if a swamp cooler would do a good job? Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: At 10:05 p.m...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 05:40:27 PM »
Lately with how warm it's been at night, I'm reallllllllly glad for central A/C.

Algore can bite me. I have central A/C, he has a private jet.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 06:21:21 PM »
I bet some swamps are cooler, somewhere, than your patio.

You have my hot 7 humid sympathies.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 06:25:32 PM »
atr 10:20 it's 68 in the basement here in Wheaton, IL. 

But then it's always around 68 in the basement, except when I'm doing the laundry, then the dryers might push it up to the mid-seventies.  rolleyes

In the winter we'll stoke up the fireplace down here.  (also got one upstairs in the family room)   MMMMMMMM Toasty........ cool
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 06:46:01 PM »
It was 86 degrees F on my patio in Fairfax, Virginia.

Dew point? Low 70s.

I wonder if a swamp cooler would do a good job? Smiley

So, it feels exactly like central Texas in Virginia.  I guess that'll save me a visit.  laugh

In these conditions a swamp cooler will just make you wet.
For entertainment purposes only.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 07:43:33 PM »
Mike, was the media there to cover it?  I don't know why, but the "heat wave" is always the big news here in Saint Louie.  Oooh, stay in the AC, folks.  It's gonna be hot this summer.  Just like it was last summer.  Just like every summer.  BIG NEWS!!  Triple Digits! 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
We may hit the century mark on the mercury tomorrow.

"Felt" temperature, given the heat and the humidity, will be well over 100.

The heat was tonight's lead story on all three local channels. Beat out the bridge and the trapped miners.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 08:16:09 PM »
Yea, because you know, the local sheeple discomfort clearly trumps people potentially/certainly dying and *expletive deleted*it.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 10:21:53 PM »
I think that is because a lot of the people who live in the city have been dumbed down enough by the welfare and educational systems that they do not know that one can drink water and stay in the shade instead of baking brains outside...

Blog under construction

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 01:21:19 AM »
It is 14:15 here in Baghdad and the temp according to Yahoo is 108.  But considering the FOB I am on is all concrete and asphalt it feels a lot hotter.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 01:49:02 AM »
It's 03:45 here in CA and the temp is currently somewhere in the mid-fifties. It should be in the mid-seventies to low eighties later on in the day. You guys in the hot zones please stay cool.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 02:50:48 AM »
Yea, because you know, the local sheeple discomfort clearly trumps people potentially/certainly dying and *expletive deleted*it.

Huh?

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 04:39:15 AM »

Huh?

You know, on the news?  You see more bitching about the "heat wave" than you do any real news.  Local news services tend to be worse than national on this score, but even CNN is doing it now. 

Hell, it's not even that friggin' hot.  When did everyone suddenly get so damned wimpy/whiny about sweating a little?

He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Paddy

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 05:06:42 AM »
I'm just back from a 2200 mi round trip to eastern Oregon and hot is the word for everywhere-at or around 100, but it's a dry heat, dontcha know

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 05:07:23 AM »
I beg to differ, but the heat IS real news.

Why?

Because it affects the people in the news service area.

As bad as the situation is in Minnesota or Utah, those things don't affect people outside their local areas. In a way, with it being plastered all over the news for days on end it's not news, it's quasi-voyerism.

It's called LOCAL news for a reason -- they're reporting on topics of LOCAL interest. Neither the bridge collapse (over 1,000 miles away) or the mine collapse (over 2,000 miles) are local.

The heat also has the ability to affect more people over a wider area than a mine or bridge collapse, and it's always a pretty good bet that more people will die from a heat wave and the resulting poor air quality than from both the bridge and mine collapses combined.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 09:53:13 AM »
No need for begging. Wink

Yea, I'd agree, but every day, we hear a lot more about how hot it is... as if we didn't realize it.

Now, power / service outages caused by heat damage, I can see that making the news, but whining every damned day about how "It's soooo hot!! and it's gonna stay that way the whole week!"

And yea, I am getting tired of the bridge & mine stories... when something new is found out. it'd be fine to hear of it...but CNN insists on repeating the same *expletive deleted*it over and over and over...

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 10:13:02 AM »
Gotta fill up all that air time somehow...

You know, I was just thinking back on all this the other day about how TV stations would sign off at say 2-3 a.m. Anyone remember that? They'd play the Star Spangled Banner and show a picture of the flag waving and jet fighters and then they'd go off the air till maybe 5 or 6 a.m. when the farm report came on. Now, not only are there a gazillion channels, they ALL stay on ALL THE TIME, no more Star Spangled Banner, no more jet fighters. I think it all started around the time Sugar Smacks turned into Honey Smacks, Sugar Pops turned into Corn Pops and candy bars started costing more but were getting smaller. It's a friggin' conspiracy I tell ya, a friggin' conspiracy. And another thing, cartoons, remember when the only time you saw cartoons was on Saturday morning and your whole week revolved around making it to Saturday morning so you could watch Bugs Bunny and the Road Runner? And if you weren't good during the week mom would take away the cartoons and probably slap the crap outta ya to boot. Now THAT'S some leverage right there. You knew damn well you'd better keep your ass in line or you weren't seeing any cartoons that Saturday and you'd probably get a whupping to add insult to the injury. That's what's WRONG with today's youth, too many cartoons all the time, it's not like a treat anymore, nobody cares if they can't watch cartoons, the same crap will be on again anyways, not to mention the fact that they all suck, but I don't want to get off on a tangent or anything...  rolleyes

grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 10:39:35 AM »
Don't forget that the cartoons are generally crap now, too. When did it become in vogue to make the characters as hideously ugly and obnoxious as possible?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 10:46:40 AM »
Don't forget that the cartoons are generally crap now, too. When did it become in vogue to make the characters as hideously ugly and obnoxious as possible?

Around the time Hanna Barberra added Scrappy Doo to what had previously been a PERFECT cartoon.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 10:47:31 AM »
When they outsourced all the cartoon artwork to places like Red China? And even THERE the beancounters are at work. (That's why Simpson's characters have 3 fingers instead of 4 . . . it's cheaper to draw!)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 10:48:10 AM »
I hate Scrappy Doo.  I hate most new cartoons in general too.  Spongebob, Foster's Home, and the various adult cartoons (Futurama, etc) are the exceptions.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 10:55:29 AM »
I hate Scrappy Doo.  I hate most new cartoons in general too.  Spongebob, Foster's Home, and the various adult cartoons (Futurama, etc) are the exceptions.

Chris

I love Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

Spongebob makes me want to start hurting people.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 11:12:30 AM »
This one is one of the only interesting ones I've seen in years, called "Storm Hawks". Like a good 80's action cartoon, with Star Wars character chemistry and humor, but GREAT animation. Looks like celshaded CG bodies and hand-drawn faces, so they don't have the mannequin look...they just move really fluidly.

The fights and aerial dogfights are pretty nicely done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QVqRVNZN5Y

I do give its animators props for a sense of history, though. Though I hadn't seen it, someone showed me a screencapture from the movie, and in one scene, in the background, there are pictures of the original E. C. Segar Popeye and George Harriman's Krazy Kat and Ignatz.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 11:42:16 AM »

Dear god, speak it, because it is *TRUTH!*

I recently caught a anime called "Bleach."

It should have been called "Blech"

Retarded Dragon BallZ retread BS.... am I getting old or did cartoons really get that stupid?

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 11:43:35 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin link=topic=8188.msg134212#msg134212
[/quote

Dear god yes.  Some college students love the guy.  I suspect they also like a certain herb which is oftentimes set on fire and inhaled, too....

grin