Author Topic: Anyone here juice?  (Read 2293 times)

Paddy

Anyone here juice?
« on: August 07, 2007, 05:33:33 AM »
As in vegetable juicer?  I use a cheapo Juiceman juicer for carrots but it needs everything cut up first.  And it's a mess to clean up.  Saw a Jack Lalanne juicer the other day.  Looks like it will take anything and everything, rind, skin, whole apple, whatever.  Anyone here use one regularly?  Any comments on the health benefits of raw fruit and vegetable juices?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Anyone here juice?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 06:54:24 AM »

Any comments on the health benefits of raw fruit and vegetable juices?

Can't see why it would be anything but good unless you went way overboard with it.

I wonder, can you juice a double cheeseburger...?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

client32

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 07:29:31 AM »

I wonder, can you juice a double cheeseburger...?

Brad

Rumor has it that A&W serves a chili bacon shake, so we may be close.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 09:45:32 AM »
Only partially on topic, but my buddy has a Vita-mix (I think its the name).  Its an animal.  It chews through ice and makes a nice thick pina colada in nothing flat. 
We're taking it to the outer banks with us next week.....
(where is the drunk smiley....?)
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 10:22:54 AM »

(where is the drunk smiley....?)

Here it is

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 11:19:36 AM »
Only partially on topic, but my buddy has a Vita-mix (I think its the name).  Its an animal.  It chews through ice and makes a nice thick pina colada in nothing flat.
AFAIK, the Vita mix is not a juicer, it's only a beefed up blender.  The difference is that a juicer tears stuff apart at the cellular lever; a blender only chops them up into fine pieces, but is unable to actually break open the cells, if you know what I mean. 

The nutrition is within the cells, as I understand it, and our digestive systems simply pass much of the intact cells through.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 11:22:39 AM »

our digestive systems simply pass much of the intact cells through.

Bulk (fiber).  Your bod needs that, too.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 12:36:47 PM »
Any comments on the health benefits of raw fruit and vegetable juices?

Health benefits? Who cares! My mom has a juicer, I've tried a few fruit and veggie combinations. A blend of about equal parts carrots, apples, and oranges is pretty good. It's worth it in taste alone.

Quote from: RileyMc
AFAIK, the Vita mix is not a juicer, it's only a beefed up blender.

Right. My mom has one of those two, and it's pretty much just a huge, heavy-duty blender. It makes some great smoothies. One thing I like is frozen cherries, fresh bananas, and apples blended together.
Andy

onions!

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 01:57:51 PM »

our digestive systems simply pass much of the intact cells through.

Bulk (fiber).  Your bod needs that, too.

Brad

Why am I reminded of the-pry the loo from my cold,numb cheeks-thread all of a sudden? grin

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 03:19:47 PM »
I've got 28 juicers. I call them "my teeth".

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 03:50:25 PM »
My wife just bought an old JuiceOMat, that squeezes juice from citrus.  Is that what you mean? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 05:36:42 PM »
Years ago I had a room mate who had a juicer.

Carrots with other misc stuff added in taste really good. Real good (for emphasis).

Never did buy one though. I hate doing dishes and they need to be cleaned after use.

It is very good for you, maybe I should look into getting one.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 05:42:06 PM »
I had a roommate (weirdo veggie boy) who had a juicer.  Top of the line model, it was.  It would juice an apple.  A WHOLE apple.  Seeds, core, whatever.  Completely liquid.  Had me s&%ttin' like a champ for two whole semesters.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 07:57:39 PM »
I have a Juiceman Jr. I used to juice a lot, now only when I want fresh citrus.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 05:21:03 AM »
vitameatavegamin?

As far as cellular breakdown and nutrition, if you're concerned the vita-mix ain't cuttin' it then just freeze your juice... ice crystals will pop your cells from the inside out.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 08:09:59 AM »
And here I thought the question was going to be about nitrous boost systems...  grin

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 08:11:33 AM »
I bought a cheap juicer so I could make my own OJ (everything at the store is too sweet), but it takes about six dollars worth of oranges to get one glass full.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Paddy

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 08:24:23 AM »
I've got 28 juicers. I call them "my teeth".

I get the point, and it's a good one.  Humans have come this far without mechanical juicers, relying only on our teeth to grind food enough to extract the nutrients.  However, a large part of our modern diets include highly processed foods and refined sugars.  In some cases so highly processed that it barely qualifies as 'food'.  Most of this stuff adds nothing in the way of nutrition and may even leach nutrients from the body! (why do people think they need vitamin 'supplements'?)   I'm thinking that 'juicing' may be an effective way to  get a lot of the natural vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids, antioxidants (all the stuff that goes away with overprocessing) the body needs to stay healthy.

I don't know anybody who eats the recommended 3-4 servings of fruits and vegetables every day, do you?  If they can be packed into a juice drink, even once a day, it would seem to be better than none at all.  As far as the bulk, the fiber, sure it's necessary, but again, I don't know anybody who gets it mainly from fruits and vegetables.

armchair warrior

• friends
  • QuickDraw on THR
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 05:59:36 PM »
I heard a rumor that Barry Bonds juices! laugh

Hugh Damright

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 06:32:41 PM »
I have a juicer but I only use it for apples ... I use a Breville Juice Fountain Plus because it juices whole apples ... my first one died right away and was replaced with no hassle and the new one works fine ... last year I juiced three bushels of late/ripe Winesaps ... I don't care for the fresh juice, but I've found that I can freeze the juice, and then when I thaw out a jar I keep it in the refrigerator for a few days before I open it and it develops a good flavor ... and freezing makes the juice separate so that the top half of the jar is mostly water so I pour that off and what's left is concentrated ... it tastes fresher than fresh and is so strong that I drink it out of a shot glass!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 08:09:55 AM »
Hrm.
I've always wanted a juicer.
I wonder if I can price a decent one in super poor college boy price range...
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.