Author Topic: I actually agree with Pelosi  (Read 1346 times)

nico

• friend
I actually agree with Pelosi
« on: August 08, 2007, 01:06:55 PM »
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/pelosi-arm-wrestles-over-cash-for-the-house-gym-2007-08-08.html

Pelosi arm-wrestles over cash for the House gym
By Emily Belz and Alexander Bolton
August 08, 2007
After dueling with House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman John Dingell (D-Mich.) to pass a renewable energy bill, Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) faces a wrestling match with another rogue chairman. And this one can bench-press 265 pounds.

Pelosi is set to square off against Rep. Neil Abercrombie (D-Hawaii), the power-lifting chairman of the House gym committee.

Abercrombie is touting his efforts to secure funding in the legislative branch spending bill to begin an estimated $8 million renovation of the House gym. The project is personally important to Abercrombie, who sets a yearly goal to bench-press 200 pounds more than his age, now 69.

Pelosi and other Democratic leaders are not eager for a multimillion-dollar renovation of the congressional members-only gym to be one of the first accomplishments of the Democratic majority. They worry that freshman Democrats could be attacked on the campaign trail next year for approving a fancy new gym for themselves after winning office.

Democratic leaders held a special meeting with Abercrombie earlier this year to tell him that now is not the time for a new House gym and also instructed him not to mention the issue to reporters, according to Democratic sources

But Abercrombie hasnt stopped talking about it. He insists that the gym needs renovating and is pushing for federal money to finance a redesign.

Abercrombie showed last week that hes not afraid to confront his leadership. Angered by a last-minute discovery that leaders would not schedule a floor vote on an Iraq bill he sponsored, Abercrombie introduced a motion to adjourn the House in protest, a rare tactic for a member of the majority to wield against his leaders. Abercrombie was the only Democrat to vote for the motion.

When it comes to the House members gym, Abercrombie also talks tough.

Officially, the facility is called The Wellness Center. Abercrombie calls it The Badness Center.

It may not be a Turkish prison, but the windowless facility in the bowels of the Rayburn House Office Building is hardly upscale.

The gyms scent is reminiscent of sweaty basketball pennies and musty basements. A half-court backs up against a little netted area for driving golf balls. Drab 1970s-era office chairs line the gym wall.

Behind a saloon-style door off the half-court, the exercise machines are crammed together.

The lack of amenities are all the more galling when compared to the gleaming new gym reserved for House staffers. In the staff members gym, each elliptical machine and treadmill has its own flat-screen TV hooked up to cable.

The locker rooms are well lit (not many overhead fluorescents), with vanity tables in the womens for reapplying mascara or blow-drying hair.

Staffers can attend classes or roll around on Pilates balls in an aerobics room lined with full-length mirrors. The staff gym is designed to allow men and women equal access to all the equipment.

Abercrombie argues the staff gym should be the model for lawmakers gym renovations. He says the current setup is a burden for female lawmakers, making it somewhat awkward for Pelosi, the first woman Speaker of the House, to oppose him.

The women (including lawmakers wives) have a smaller, separate gym next to their locker rooms in Rayburn.

To get to the main gym from the womens locker rooms, they must walk across an underground parking lot. If they want to use the cardiovascular equipment, for example, they must walk through the mens locker rooms.

Some congresswomen are fed up.

Rep. Mary Fallin (R-Okla.) says she doesnt use the gym because its not convenient from her office in the Longworth House Office Building.

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.), chairwoman of the Legislative Branch Appropriations Subcommittee, said, I dont mind working out in front of men, but you have to go through the mens locker room.

She is a swimmer, but to get to the pool she says she would have to walk through a parking garage and upstairs from the locker room.

Logistically, its too difficult, she said. For the time being, however, Wasserman Schultz agrees with Pelosi that there are more important funding priorities than the gym.

Abercrombie is quick to position himself alongside his female colleagues in a potential showdown with Pelosi.

He says the pinched size of the womens gym impedes female lawmakers from using it. He says they need more room to get dressed after a workout in this age of television-driven politics.

Not all women agree with Abercrombie. The wife of one congressman who uses the womens gym regularly said the complaints are overblown.

The facilities are absolutely fine. Theyre great, said the spouse, who spoke anonymously to avoid angering any lawmakers. You cant walk across a parking lot? Whats the big deal?

Taxpayers would be furious if they knew we were spending their money on gym renovations, she added, echoing the concern of Democratic leaders.

House appropriators have told Abercrombie that funding for plans to redesign the gym can come from a $60 million account in the legislative branch spending bill. To free the money up, though, Abercrombie must secure final approval from the House Building Commission, which Pelosi chairs.

So while Abercrombie is correct that money for building a new gym has passed the House, it still has to get by Pelosi, who doesnt seem too scared of Abercrombies muscle.

Pelosi would prefer to see money spent on security and other issues.

The emphasis is on security, safety and greening of the Capitol campus, Pelosi spokesman Nadeam Elshami said.

The gall of some "representatives" is amazing.  Maybe if they want to improve the gym so badly, they should fund it the same way every private gym is funded; if you want to use the gym, you pay a monthly fee.

crt360

• friend
Re: I actually agree with Pelosi
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 03:17:51 PM »
An eight million dollar upgrade?  Holy crap!

I think they should get rid of the gym they have now.  They need to be working.

They have a swimming pool?
For entertainment purposes only.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 04:19:16 PM »
What happened to being Public Servants? That staffer's gym needs to be shut down and auctioned off, with the proceeds going to something a little more public-oriented. Good Lord, these people already make more than most in the private sector, with a benefits pkg to drool over (free health insurance? When is the last time you saw that in the private sector?)

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 04:54:25 PM »
Eight million dollars for a gym to service 535 people, many of whom won't go anywhere near a gym??! 

I've stocked a home gym in the last couple years, and have in the process come to know a bit about commercial gym equipment as well.  You can equip a really nice gym for 535 people for $100,000-$200,000.

They're talking about roughly 50 times too much money.  (If they're talking about remodelling the building, that's something else again.)

I'm not sure I "agree with Pelosi"--My reading of the story is that the only reason she is opposed is because she doesn't want the only thing they've accomplished to be a bill to fix up the congressional gym, bacause she's afraid of how that will look on the campaign trail.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 04:59:22 PM »
don't forget the subsidied haircuts   as well as a pretty fine restaurant  run at a loss

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 05:07:34 PM »
Build the gym.  And also make it mandatory that the legislature must spend at least 23 hours a day in there working out.  That way we'll save trillions of dollars in earmarks (pork)
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
They're talking about roughly 50 times too much money.  (If they're talking about remodelling the building, that's something else again.)
But the one for Congress includes hot & cold running strippers.

Of both genders.  shocked
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 06:58:19 PM »
Run out of Barney Franks' office?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 04:44:21 AM »
Build the gym.  And also make it mandatory that the legislature must spend at least 23 hours a day in there working out.  That way we'll save trillions of dollars in earmarks (pork)

Just what I was  thinking.  Of course, I regularly enjoy my free gym privilages in our newly expanded and renovated gym.  Well, working out 3 times a week is actually considered duty time for me.  They figure it saves more money in reduced medical care and increased readyness.  Providing free workout facilities can actually save money when you're also paying for people's healthcare.

m1911 owner, reading the article it would indeed involve building renovation/modification more so than equipment replacement.  Of course, our gym renovation, which involved building a new 1/8th mile elevated indoor track over a 3 court gym, new cardio machine area and three weight rooms to serve several thousand people(all working out at least 3 times/week) only cost a quarter of that.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 06:55:47 AM »
Pelosi doesn't object to the money being spent.  She objects to the public finding out that the Democrats encouraged the money being spent.

I'm sure she'd approve it if she could hide the fact from the taxpayers.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

nico

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 07:12:26 AM »
Pelosi doesn't object to the money being spent.  She objects to the public finding out that the Democrats encouraged the money being spent.

I'm sure she'd approve it if she could hide the fact from the taxpayers.

I know, and I agree.  I just thought it made a good thread title

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 07:28:24 AM »
They will just tack it on to something else later.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge