Author Topic: The Seattle-area economy and Boeing  (Read 3411 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The Seattle-area economy and Boeing
« on: November 08, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20131107/BIZ/711089854/Inslee-Were-all-in-the-same-Boeing-plane-and-need-to-land-it

So it is going to be very interesting to watch how the Legislature, the unions and Boeing are dancing to see where the new airplane production is going to end up.  It would be a major hit to the local economy if more aircraft production is sent to South Carolina.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Re: The Seattle-area economy and Boeing
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 11:04:24 PM »
Not to rub salt in the wound, but...charleston's economy is doing great.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: The Seattle-area economy and Boeing
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 11:34:04 PM »
I thought Boeing had departed Washington State?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 11:43:52 PM »
Serious question: Is a mid-grade machinist worth $45k plus benefits?  I actually don't know, so somebody seriously tell me.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 11:48:56 PM »
I'm sure we can count on the union to cut their noses off to spite their faces.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 12:35:18 AM »

They still have a pretty good presence here, but have divested itself of some parts. They had a plant here in Spokane that now belongs to Triumph Composites. Making parts for Boeing planes.

They (Boeing) have moved their corporate offices to Chicago.

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 12:58:22 AM »
Serious question: Is a mid-grade machinist worth $45k plus benefits?  I actually don't know, so somebody seriously tell me.

Yes, if not more.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 02:08:22 AM »
Depends on local cost of living, but yeah a machinist should be pulling that down easily.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 06:24:59 AM »

They have approximately 85,000 employees in the state and 33,000 in my county.  The company is still one of the major economic engines of Washington in general and the Seattle area in particular.  Thus my keen interest in how this shapes up, given that all those employees need healthcare.  We can really tell when Boeing is not doing well and is laying off people, the numbers of insured people going to the doctor and hospital drop dramatically.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: The Seattle-area economy and Boeing
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 07:42:49 AM »
didn't the union get weird when they started to go to sc? even though zero jobs were lost out west? they used the feds to force boeing to submit to extortion?

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 08:35:45 AM »
Yes, indeedy.  The union and the company have used a variety of state and Federal regulatory complaints against each other. 

Right now, the key issues of contention in the Boeing offer to the union are:

It will take new employees longer to reach the top of a pay grade
The traditional pension system will be replaced with a 401(k)
More healthcare costs will be shifted to employees

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20131106/BIZ/711079987/1005/Details-Boeings-777X-offer-to-Machinists-

With all respect to my friends, neighbors and family who work at Boeing, but this is fairly par for the course these days.  We can debate the relative merits of it, but the Boeing offer is pretty consistent with typical business practices now. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 03:06:25 PM »
They have approximately 85,000 employees in the state and 33,000 in my county.  The company is still one of the major economic engines of Washington in general and the Seattle area in particular.  Thus my keen interest in how this shapes up, given that all those employees need healthcare.  We can really tell when Boeing is not doing well and is laying off people, the numbers of insured people going to the doctor and hospital drop dramatically.

Lots of subcontract engineering and manufacturing also.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »
Right now, the key issues of contention in the Boeing offer to the union are:

It will take new employees longer to reach the top of a pay grade
The traditional pension system will be replaced with a 401(k)
More healthcare costs will be shifted to employees

Hey unions! Welcome to the real world!
I used to be a member of the IAM, and about all they did for me was take my money and make sure the alcoholics kept their jobs. I was a machinist (Cutter Grinder Class A) and my neighbor was UAW and made about twice as much as I did (he made way too much for what he did, my pay was close to appropriate for what I did) putting 4 screws in a dashboard or pushing a button on a press and pulling the part out. He used to brag about purposely scrapping good parts, and he thought he was assuring "job security" by costing the company more money to build cars.

I used to deliver molten aluminum to an auto related plant in Racine, Wi., at which the union members refused to make any reasonable concessions whatsoever to the company, regardless if it led to the plant shutting down. It did.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 08:45:37 PM »
Rumors abound about the next Boeing move in SC.  Lots of noise about inquiries in the Charleston area which would be consistent with the relocation of at least some of the engineering function.  Other states are getting the same kind of inquiries.  We've seen the signs before.  A small startup operation eventually becomes the tip of a large spear. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 09:44:55 PM »

They do where I work and we're not a real high pay area. Not great money actually.

I do reserve time with a guy who works for Boeing Charleston. They could perhaps care less about what happens to the Washington folks but not by much.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 03:23:52 PM »
Living in Issaquah in the late '60s and into the '70s, whenever Boeing hiccupped the local economy tanked and people with PhD and Masters ended up pushing brooms for a living.  That was the usual gallows humor in those days, anyway.  It sure wasn't pretty.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 03:46:40 PM »
Living in Issaquah in the late '60s and into the '70s, whenever Boeing hiccupped the local economy tanked and people with PhD and Masters ended up pushing brooms for a living.  That was the usual gallows humor in those days, anyway.  It sure wasn't pretty.

My Dad survived the great Boeing layoff of 1969-1972 and went on to finish his 40 year engineering career at Boeing in 1990.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 06:29:50 PM »
They still have a pretty good presence here, but have divested itself of some parts. They had a plant here in Spokane that now belongs to Triumph Composites. Making parts for Boeing planes.

They (Boeing) have moved their corporate offices to Chicago.

bob

Until the Tax incentives they were given run out.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 06:35:08 PM »
Evidently tax goodies is what attracted Boeing to CHS. Due to the vagaries of SC "law" we have no real handle on what the real costs to SC are.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon