Author Topic: Favorite bourbon ?  (Read 7201 times)

Otherguy Overby

• friend
Re: Favorite bourbon ?
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2006, 01:23:02 PM »
It is illegal to distill your own liquor, even for private consumption.  angry

Quickly please, do tell me something that's not illegal in these United States...

Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2006, 01:31:25 PM »
Playing in traffic. smiley
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2006, 01:54:38 PM »
Another Jim Beam fan here. I used to drink Wild Turkey 101proof. That was before I found out the company's owned by a French holding corporation. So I tried Jim Beam and liked it pretty well. That said, I also like Tullamore Dew, but that's not bourbon, but rather a blended Irish whiskey that's a bit pricier. Around here, it seems Jack Daniels and several other brands mentioned run a mite pricier than Jim Beam which has run me $15.45/750ml.

BTW, on another board, I was constantly under fire about Jim Beam. Some posters there wanted to pile on with the vulgarities just because it doesn't cost $40+/750ml. I remember this one stupid troll came on, said his opinion, and then said "I'm sure mustanger98 will have something to say about that".

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2006, 02:34:13 PM »
I like Wild Turkey 101 (on ice) for sippin' whiskey.  I also like plain old Jim Beam.  Then again, I ain't got no class.

Same here. If I feel like blowing money on a high end bourbon, it usually Maker's Mark.

I'm more of a Scotch guy anyway.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2006, 07:53:38 PM »
Elijah Craig, Knob Creek, Booker's, and Maker's in that order.  Not sure what I would do with old #7, since the advent of fuel injection there are not many carbs to clean.  Despite not being a Jack fan, and despite the fact it is not Bourbon I ended up with several bottles of Jack Single Barrel, definitely many cuts about regular Jack.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2006, 08:29:36 AM »
Woodford Reserve on the rocks, Pappy Van Winkle neat.

Has anyone tried the Distillers Select (I think it's called) aged in cognac barrels?  It is quite unique.

Target Farget

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2006, 10:28:10 AM »
make mine elijah craig!

TaxPhd

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2006, 11:38:17 AM »
Has anyone tried the Distillers Select (I think it's called) aged in cognac barrels?

What is this marketed as? American whiskey, or something else (it can't be called Bourbon).
"I was brought up to believe that Scotch whisky would need a tax preference to survive in competition with Kentucky bourbon."

Justice Hugo Black

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2006, 07:57:36 AM »
I called it the wrong name it is Distillers Masterpiece originally done in Cognac casks now using Port Casks I guess.

ULTRA-CHIC BOURBONS ENTER THE MARKETPLACE
The biggest news coming out of Kentucky this past year is the release of another installment in Jim Beam's DISTILLERS' MASTERPIECE series. This sensational whiskey is the brainchild of legendary master distiller, Booker Noe and the award-winning winemaker of Geyser Peak winery, Daryl Groom.

Distillers' Masterpiece is a small batch Booker Noe Bourbon aged an amazing 20 years and finished in Geyser Peak port casks. Every aspect of this savory bourbonfrom its wafting bouquet to its flavor laden finishhas been softened and enhanced by the influence of the port. The overall effect falls somewhere between elegance and sheer indulgence. Appropriately named, Distillers' Masterpiece carries a price tag of $300.

Otherguy Overby

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2006, 08:33:48 AM »

Something for you to think about:  Why do all the best makers use new casks and the otherguys Smiley use used ones?  IOW, if used casks were better, why would someone sell them?

Used casks are cheaper than new...
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

TaxPhd

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2006, 10:27:31 AM »
It is a legal requirement.  To be called Bourbon, it must be aged in new white oak casks.

The Distillers Masterpiece will be aged in new white oak (fulfilling the legal requirement) and then finished in the port casks.
"I was brought up to believe that Scotch whisky would need a tax preference to survive in competition with Kentucky bourbon."

Justice Hugo Black

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006, 04:05:30 PM »
Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Elijah Craig, Ezra Brooks.

IMO, Maker's Mark tastes funky.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »
Louis XIV. 

Someone had to say it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2006, 05:47:05 PM »
Depends.

Why do all the best makers use new casks and the otherguys Smiley use used ones?  IOW, if used casks were better, why would someone sell them?

There's actually a brisk market in used casks, and it's all overseas.  Single malt scotch is considered too delicate to mature in new oak casks with strong tannin and vanillin, so after they're done aging, U.S. bourbon and Tennessee whiskey casks are simply shipped to Scotland and Ireland to serve a second life in the aging of scotch.  That's all well and good for the U.S. distillers, too, because by law bourbon and Tennessee whiskey must be aged in new casks. Win-win situation.  Cheesy
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2006, 07:09:16 PM »
Louis XIV. 

Someone had to say it.

grapes vs corn?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2006, 08:25:34 PM »
"Let them eat grapes," as another famous Bourbon used to say, almost.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2006, 03:20:04 AM »
Depends.

Why do all the best makers use new casks and the otherguys Smiley use used ones?  IOW, if used casks were better, why would someone sell them?

There's actually a brisk market in used casks, and it's all overseas.  Single malt scotch is considered too delicate to mature in new oak casks with strong tannin and vanillin, so after they're done aging, U.S. bourbon and Tennessee whiskey casks are simply shipped to Scotland and Ireland to serve a second life in the aging of scotch.  That's all well and good for the U.S. distillers, too, because by law bourbon and Tennessee whiskey must be aged in new casks. Win-win situation.  Cheesy

I always thought scotch was aged in used sherry casks.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2006, 03:36:38 AM »
Depends.

I always thought scotch was aged in used sherry casks.

They can be, and it is a "premium feature" of the whiskey.  But the standard aging is done in old bourbon casks.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2006, 05:30:56 PM »
okay so I went to grocery store to pick up some stuff for the next few days and remembered that I was out of bourbon at home. So I head over the the liqour section, they are out of Makers Mark and Jim Beam, so I figured what the heck I'll try some Evan Williams (90 Proof). Well I am enjoying a double bourbon and sprite right now and its not bad for $11 a bottle.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2006, 07:47:59 PM »
Maker's Mark for me.  I'm always up for something new, though.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2006, 05:06:33 AM »
I draw distinctions between bourbon and Tennessee Sourmash whiskey.  I prefer the latter, and Jack Daniel's or George Dickel is just fine by moi.  Among the blended bourbons, I just don't appreciate the difference between MM and, oh, say Early Times.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

LandShark

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2006, 09:54:38 AM »
I'm really a scotch guy, but I was recently turned on to Basil Hayden's, and that stuff is good. Eagle Rare is really good as well.
Cheers,
Sam