Author Topic: Kobe (-style...?) beef for Christmas!  (Read 1117 times)

BakerMikeRomeo

Kobe (-style...?) beef for Christmas!
« on: November 20, 2006, 11:11:56 AM »
Hey, everybody,

My brother and I struggle every year to get my dad a gift he'll actually enjoy and use, and a couple of months back, I finally stumbled upon the answer: beef. Really, really good beef. My dad loves to cook and especially loves to grill, and I think he might enjoy some totally awesome beefs for christmas.

So I come to y'all with some requests for information:

1) Who are reputable providers of Kobe and/or Kobe-style beef?

2) I know that "Kobe" beef only comes from the one part of Japan (just like Kentucky whatever Bourbon has to spend some time in Kentucky), but if the cost is utterly prohibitive on proper Kobe (I imagine it is), who makes the best Kobe-style beef?

3) What kind of cooking considerations are involved when cooking Kobe-style beef as opposed to your standard steak? Can you just grill it or pan-fry it like a normal steak, or is it especially fragile or tough to cook or anysuch? Favorite recipes would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, y'all.

~GnSx

BakerMikeRomeo

Re: Kobe (-style...?) beef for Christmas!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 03:01:28 PM »
I already found both from Everybody's Friend Google, but I was hoping someone before me had purchased teh high quality beefs and had something nice to say about a particular brand or supplier.

~GnSx

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 03:55:45 PM »
Well if you think Kobe beef is a little more than you want to spend for the amount you get check out Omaha steaks or no name steaks. I have had steaks from both and they are pretty damn good for a mail order steak place.

www.omahasteaks.com

www.nonamesteaks.com

I've had my fair share of corn finished beef that I have delivered to the locker on the hoof and brought back home 30 days wrapped in white paper but those two companies have good meat you can buy.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 06:27:11 PM »
I haven't used them, but everyone seems to enjoy the quality of Omaha Steaks, if not their customer service and incessant telemarketing that begins the second after you place your first order.  All that is second-hand, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Zed

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 11:23:43 PM »
Thier is a Ranch here in Boise ID that produces Kobe Beef at a fraction the normal cost, it's sold at a few places including the Boise Co-Op.
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

client32

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 03:14:53 AM »
A local place started doing mail order steaks:

http://www.ilovesteaks.com/

I can't comment on their quality, I always get a hamburger when I go there.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.