Author Topic: Need apple pie topping recipe  (Read 970 times)

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Need apple pie topping recipe
« on: November 21, 2006, 11:24:43 AM »
Going to the relatives for Thanksgiving.  Was told I have to bring the apple pie.

I've got some really good homemade pie filling and a graham cracker crust, but need a recipe for the crumbly topping.

Any of you chefs have a good suggestion ?   grin
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Re: Need apple pie topping recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 11:41:12 AM »
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (cold).

Put it all in a bowl, and use a metal spatula to cut the butter up in the mix.  Keep just chopping the butter up until it's in pieces no bigger than a jellybean.  It'll end up coated in the sugar/flour mixture.

Pour this over the top of the pie right before you bake.

Done.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 03:42:47 AM »
GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST!!!!
Listen to Betty Crocker

1 Tsp soft butter (NOT MARGERINE)
1/3 cup good shortening
1 cup of flour
2 to 3 Tsp water
Dash of salt

mix by hand together with 2 knives or a crust cutter
makes 1 crust,
Brian
<><
:)

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 08:26:12 AM »
I'm going to have to concur with Brian Williams here; a graham-cracker crust is only appropriate for cream- and chocolate-based pies.  They are an abomination upon the face of the Apple-Pie Eating World.   grin

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 08:36:06 AM »
grahm on an apple pie  undecided

ewwwwww

for the love of pie man go to the store and pie a frozen pie shell

as for the topping I dont really have a recipie cause I eyeball it (im a bad little baker I hate to measure lol)
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 09:50:08 AM »
Brian Williams has it, with the following caveats:

Use cold water. The colder the better.

Once it's mixed, handle it as little as possible. the more you roll/knead/mess with it, the tougher it'll get.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 01:50:29 PM »
yes use cold water, and definately mix it just enough to combine the mix, then roll out on a flour covered board, with a good rolling pin.
Brian
<><
:)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 05:39:58 AM »
when you are done mixing the water in it should look fiarly dry.

Pick a lump up in hand and squeeze it.  If its just enough to form a ball (even a crumbly one) you have enough water.  Wrap it in some parchment of a ziplock bag and toss it in the fridge to absobe the water and you will be good to go.

Ever made a pie and the crust shrank up?  To much water was the reason.

Frozen pie shells these days are very good and if you dont want to muck with pie dough I highly reccomend them.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.