Author Topic: Big Brother in your car  (Read 1822 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Big Brother in your car
« on: February 03, 2014, 10:49:28 PM »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TALKING_CARS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-02-03-10-48-29

I find one of these in my car, I'm cutting its antennas.

NOTHING hits the brakes, but me.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Big Brother in your car
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 11:24:24 PM »
A lot of that seems to be a pretty good idea to me.

The downside is it could allow FEDGOV to hijack functions of your car .... which would be the next logical step after the NSA wiretaps everyone.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 11:29:08 PM »
I find one of these in my car, I'm cutting its antennas.

Don't worry, I'm sure that tampering with the system will be illegal.  After all... don't you want to be safe?

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 09:30:22 AM »
Next up: transponders in speed limit signs that automatically govern your car's maximum speed.  Oh wait, that will never fly, then they couldn't write speeding tickets.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:42:11 AM »
Transponders in speed limit signs that query the car ID and issue speeding tickets.

Also saw recently that the EU is working on plans to require remote kill switches so the cops can stop your car. Of course something like that could never be hacked and used for nefarious purposes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 09:42:45 AM »
Can you say "On Star"? I knew you could.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 09:49:51 AM »
Think of all of the possibilities, not just speeding tickets and easy cop stops...

Running air conditioning on a hot day?  Bad for the environment, so it's remotely shut down...
Drive past a repair place, and they send a signal out shutting down your car for immediate "necessary" repairs...
The possibilities are endless.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 10:47:14 AM »

Meh, just means people like me will make money making firewalls and IDS's for cars.

Military had similar things for certain vehicles and whatnot. During my MOS training, they taught us that people would turn them off to hide illicit chow or shower runs. It'd take about 20-30 minutes to resync afterwards. So they taught us to unscrew the GPS and data antennas before making a chow run, and screw it back in when you're done. That resyncs in seconds, with no GPS audit data.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 10:53:19 AM »
Drive past a repair place, and they send a signal out shutting down your car for immediate "necessary" repairs..

And then I will demonstrate how a really big *expletive deleted*in wrench will get the car running again...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!