Author Topic: DoJ investigating FBI and DEA on usage of NSA provided data  (Read 3052 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
DoJ investigating FBI and DEA on usage of NSA provided data
« on: September 30, 2015, 03:17:25 PM »

http://www.dailydot.com/politics/nsa-dea-fbi-snowden-doj-oig/

Long story short, NSA legally or illegally wiretapped US citizens. They then would give the data to the FBI, DEA and other federal agencies. Those agents would lie under oath, also known as committing perjury, about the source of information in court. This is known as parallel construction.

Example?

NSA intercepts Fistful's phone calls, text messages, internet traffic and other useful metadata. All very harmful stuff that laypersons don't understand is bloody important and generally not legally separate from the actual content, but people pretend it is. Fistful's cell for example leaves very detailed, but not extremely granular, locational data. NSA charts Fistful's position over a couple weeks, and then emails it to the DEA. The the DEA stakes out the highway Fistful is likely taking. He's pulled over for speeding, suspected DUI, whatever. An on-hand drug dog finds a bottle of aspirin (or weed or Brady Center propaganda) in his glove box, that he is arrested. Under oath, officers swear it was a random search and not illegally collected data from the NSA. This is to bypass giving information on our domestic surveillance capacity, as well as bypass "fruit of the poisonous tree" legal protections, by lying to prosecutors and judges.

Generally, evidence collected from illegal searches is excluded. Unless you commit perjury, of course. Having been caught, they've been taken to using third parties as proxies. For example, DEA wouldn't tell its agents or other departments were the data came from. DEA's Special Operations Division simply say "Randomly pull over a 1971 line green AMC Gremlin on Route 123."

So, in other words, violations of the Fourth Amendment and perjury committed in court rooms is bigger and more institutionalized than previously thought. Shocking, I know.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: DoJ investigating FBI and DEA on usage of NSA provided data
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 03:47:56 PM »
a) That stuff ain't mine, and I ain't never seen it before.

b) I didn't know it was there.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 05:37:43 PM »
a) That stuff ain't mine, and I ain't never seen it before.

b) I didn't know it was there.

You forgot

c) Sumdude put it there.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 06:01:33 PM »
Wait a minute.  This DoJ is "investigating" the massive amount of data collected (legally or illegally)?

"The yield of that NSA spying program was described by a judge as a 'staggering' amount of data when the agency's ability to collect it was struck down as illegal in court earlier this year. The program was resumed in June and will run until at least December."

So now this staggering amount of data is also in the hands of the DoJ as well as the individual investigating agencies?

Hmmmmmmmm...... [tinfoil]

Terry

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:35:55 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 06:10:55 PM »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 06:11:32 PM »
Wait a minute.  This DoJ is "investigating" the massive amount of data collected (legally or illegally)?

So now this staggering amount of data is also in the hands of the DoJ as well as the individual investigating agencies?

Hmmmmmmmm...... [tinfoil]

Terry

Along with my CCW information.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 06:14:29 PM »
^
Double- Hmmmmmmmm......  [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 07:15:59 PM »
The DOJ is investigating. So...you saying nothing will happen, no one will go to jail, and nothing will change.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 07:31:40 PM »
The DOJ is investigating. So...you saying nothing will happen, no one will go to jail, and nothing will change.

You only say that because they're investigating themselves.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »

I'm sure Issa and Gowdy will get to the bottom of this just like they have done with the Fast and Furious and Benghazi investigations. [barf]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 07:52:52 AM »
You are all just jealous because i'm on more lists than you are.  :P

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 08:20:49 AM »
You are all just jealous because i'm on more lists than you are.  :P

I try not to think of how many lists I'm on.

Then again, last time I visited the Ft Meade to visit the Crypto Museum, the NSA barricaded the gates with half a dozen uparmored Suburbans. Made the rest of the date kinda awkward, btw.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 09:36:41 AM »
The government is investigating itself for spying on citizens and lying under oath. I have so much faith in the outcome.   ;/
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 10:01:28 AM »
The government is investigating itself for spying on citizens and lying under oath. I have so much faith in the outcome.   ;/

The DOJ just wants access to the NSA's data to add to their own illegal files.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 10:21:29 AM »
So what are the limits on the data transfer?  If the NSA discovered a couple guys doing pretty nasty crimes against poeple, is there any way they can point the police at those people and let the police investigate and build their own case?  Can a line be drawn somewhere or the whole thing not allowed?  Also, I thought there was some court case within the last 6 months that allowed this in a limited way. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 12:02:41 PM »

Remember how our fine, young President insured against fraudulent use of the TARP monies by appointing Joseph Biden as guardian? "Nobody's gonna mess with Joe."

Perhaps, if he is done there, he could oversee this investigation.

Nobody's gonna mess with Joe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 03:02:38 PM »
So what are the limits on the data transfer?  If the NSA discovered a couple guys doing pretty nasty crimes against poeple, is there any way they can point the police at those people and let the police investigate and build their own case?  Can a line be drawn somewhere or the whole thing not allowed?  Also, I thought there was some court case within the last 6 months that allowed this in a limited way. 

Something to remember, NSA is not a law enforcement agency. It is a military organization, under the DoD. It's important to remember that US citizenry are being directly monitored (even if you just buy the NSA argument that they're solely snagging metadata of US citizens) by the US military. Which is then selectively passed to law enforcement. And the US military was lying under oath to Congress about it (and admitted that too).

In reality, yes, 24 U.S. government agencies can access a lot of the NSA take using IC REACH. Those agencies tend to be the ones pointing local police at people. Sometimes they indeed launder their activities using the local police to investigate and build their cases, based originally on potentially tainted evidence, then backtracking their case with allegedly 'clean' cases, then lying under oath.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 05:44:25 PM »
The DOJ just wants access to the NSA's data to add to their own illegal files.

Previously alluded to.  Twice, I think.  Must be pretty obvious.

Just how dumb do they think we are?

Terry

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 10:07:06 PM »
Just how dumb do they think we are?

It doesn't concern them how dumb we are.  They are convinced of two things: That they can get away with anything, and that there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2015, 11:10:55 PM »
It doesn't concern them how dumb we are.  They are convinced of two things: That they can get away with anything, and that there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.

Sadly, that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2015, 06:38:46 AM »
This like asking the fox to guard the hen house.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 08:05:26 AM »

There is no need to ascribe nefarious motives to the agents.

I'm sure they think that MAYBE they are stretching the law a little, but these are bad people who ought to be put in jail. As long as they are catching bad people (and the intercepts show they are), then the end justifies the means.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought