Author Topic: Looking forward to the debates  (Read 5365 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Looking forward to the debates
« on: August 29, 2008, 07:38:19 AM »
I predict McCain will wipe the floor with BHO.

And Palin should do well against Biden.

After the debates the election won't be so close.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Re: Looking forward to the debates
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 07:39:46 AM »

My only concern with Palin v. Biden will be on foreign policy.  She's got some prep work to do.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 07:46:59 AM »

My only concern with Palin v. Biden will be on foreign policy.  She's got some prep work to do.

She can just stand there and let Biden destroy Biden. Once he opens his mouth, he just doesn't stop. It's like verbal diarrhea. Ever see his "questioning" sessions where he babbled on about his upbringing and youth instead of asking any questions?

All he needs to have is one "everyone in Dunkin Donuts and 7-11 has an Indian accent" moment about women, and the Clinton voters are done with them.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 07:59:44 AM »
I'll look forward to the debates if Barr makes it into them.

Saying I look forward to them now is like saying I look forward to coming home from work to watch my dog and the neighbor's new puppy bark at each other through the chain-link fence.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 04:35:51 PM »
i'd wanna ask biden if he really thought sending iran a big check after 911 was a good idea
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 05:30:46 PM »
All she has to do with biden is ask him after he says something "did you write that or is it Xerox?"
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Bruce H

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 05:54:07 PM »
Mrs. Palin will probably study Biden very carefully. Then at the proper moment ask why he isn't in prison for x number of reasons and then name them. Biden doesn't have a chance against her.
It is possible to always be wrong.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 08:10:47 PM »
I expect Governor Palin will be an absolutely charming lady, most of the time.  But don't forget, the purpose of the modern Vice President is less one of being in reserve, but as the anchor for party ideology.  She isn't just a solid Republican, but one with something of a libertarian bent.  Foreign policy?  Yes, he's the expert, but he can get pedantic.  Where she will absolutely hammer him is in Energy Policy.  Obama may have some lofty (to put it nicely) energy independence ideas, but this woman KNOWS oil--and not in the way Bush does, but at ground level.  Alaska is an oil state in a way Texans can only dream about.

Biden is going to be surprised...  grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 04:58:16 AM »
I really wish that we could have real DEBATES rather than the format we have been seeing lately.  What we have had are Q&As that lend themselves to spouting short vague talking points with little to no opportunity for rebuttal.

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 08:19:30 AM »
I'll second what Red Head said.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 11:53:40 AM »
I really wish that we could have real DEBATES rather than the format we have been seeing lately.  What we have had are Q&As that lend themselves to spouting short vague talking points with little to no opportunity for rebuttal.

But then no one will understand...  I find a quote from Thucydides to be pertinent here:
The way that most men deal with traditions, even traditions of their own country, is to receive them all alike as they are delivered, without applying any critical test whatever.  There are many unfounded ideas current in Greece, even on matters of contemporary history which have not been obscured by time.  For instance, there is the notion that the Lacedaemonian kings have two votes each, the fact being that they have only one; and that there is a company of Pitane, there being simply no such thing.  So little pains do most people take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand.

Everyone wants their information handed to them.  I know many scientists that are doomed if it's not in Google or Wikipedia.  It's like the internet equivalent to fast food, we're all becoming mentally obese.  I know it's not everyone, and I respect a lot of you guys for being the exact opposite. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 03:45:05 PM »
I agree with what you said Physics.  A lot of people want their sound bites spoon fed to them.  I think it would be great if we had at least one honest-to-god debate in addition to the format that we have been getting lately. 

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening anytime soon, as the two major parties have co-opted the debate process and only agree to debates that have been thoroughly negotiated in order to avoid many important topics.   

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 04:45:19 PM »
Biden will be hoist by his own petard when he debates Palin.  He is a wise ass who isn't wise and, yes, runs at the mouth because he fancies himself one of the gifted.  I predict he will say something offensive within the first half-hour that will have most of America rolling their eyes.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 10:01:32 AM »
Where she will absolutely hammer him is in Energy Policy.  Obama may have some lofty (to put it nicely) energy independence ideas, but this woman KNOWS oil--and not in the way Bush does, but at ground level.  Alaska is an oil state in a way Texans can only dream about.

Biden is going to be surprised...  grin
And so is McCain. Hisself is of two minds in that he really wants to straddle the oil issue.  He's now leaning toward coastal drilling but not so much for drilling ANWR.  Palin's presence will make it impossible for the straddle to continue.  I think McCain will shortly come out full throat in favor of drilling ANWR simply to draw another distinction between the two parties.  And the effect on the republican base will be just as electrifying.  It represents another break with past.  Only then can Palin begin to take on Biden and his handlers on oil. 

O'Bama/Palin in the current silly season has demonstrated one truth.  Clarity of message is absolutely essential.  Palin's simple and clear message trumped O'Bama's well-produced show with little effort.  Drilling ANWR is another simple message.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 11:41:50 AM »

But then no one will understand...  I find a quote from Thucydides to be pertinent here:
The way that most men deal with traditions, even traditions of their own country, is to receive them all alike as they are delivered, without applying any critical test whatever.  There are many unfounded ideas current in Greece, even on matters of contemporary history which have not been obscured by time.  For instance, there is the notion that the Lacedaemonian kings have two votes each, the fact being that they have only one; and that there is a company of Pitane, there being simply no such thing.  So little pains do most people take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand.

Everyone wants their information handed to them.  I know many scientists that are doomed if it's not in Google or Wikipedia.  It's like the internet equivalent to fast food, we're all becoming mentally obese.  I know it's not everyone, and I respect a lot of you guys for being the exact opposite. 

Could you please explain all that in one sentence?

It would help if it rhymed.  Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 07:24:15 PM »
I've been waiting years on this forum for someone to quote Thucydides.  Thanks.  grin
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 07:33:08 PM »
Could you please explain all that in one sentence?

It would help if it rhymed. 

No. I could rhyme it, though.

There are the masses we know as unwashed,
Many are those who would wish them be coshed.
Short are their spans de atten-tionaise,
Like unto a spoon used to spread mayonnaise.

That's how I read it, anyhow.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 03:52:14 AM »
I really wish that we could have real DEBATES rather than the format we have been seeing lately.

I kinda am wishing for pistol duels at 20 paces. Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 05:41:28 AM »
There are the masses we know as unwashed,
Many are those who would wish them be coshed.
Short are their spans de atten-tionaise,
Like unto a spoon used to spread mayonnaise.

Me likey.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 05:50:55 AM »
I really wish that we could have real DEBATES rather than the format we have been seeing lately.

I kinda am wishing for pistol duels at 20 paces. Smiley
How about AR's at 200 yards?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge